Weather in Baltics mid August - will be on Regal Princess

whimsy7

wondering if past cruisers in the Baltics in the month of August (mid to end) would give me an idea of the weather? thank you.

we will be on the Regal Princess.

yes, I understand the idea of dressing in layers etc but am wondering if the weather is warm or cool?

read that maximum day temperature is 19 C or 66 F (which to me is cool). yet, talking to friends who have been in that part of the world, they are saying....'no. it's summer!'

any advice/information would be welcome.

thanks.

We were on Regal last year early August. The weathers was lovely but temperature not much above 19 degrees. That is summer in that part of the world. On the other hand it could be cold and wet, it's just luck. We were sunning ourselves on deck and even in the pool in St. Petersburg. I am Scottish so I found the temperature lovely.

We did a Baltic cruise in mid-August in 2007 (Star Princess). The one thing I definitely remember about the weather was that the temperature was in the upper 80s both of our days in St. Petersburg. We were glad that we were in an air conditioned van in our private tour.

I do think for our other days, the weather was pleasant,

We are used to much higher temperatures here in Australia but having travelled to the UK and Europe many times, I have found those lower temperatures very comfortable due to the higher humidity over there. You cannot just use the temperature alone, but must take in to account those other factors. That is why layering is so important. Our Baltic Heritage cruise on Princess in September 2014 was mostly low 20s, and lower, but I would not have wanted it any warmer, particularly with all the walking we did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are used to much higher temperatures here in Australia but having travelled to the UK and Europe many times, I have found those lower temperatures very comfortable due to the higher humidity over there. You cannot just use the temperature alone, but must take in to account those other factors. That is why layering is so important. Our Baltic Heritage cruise on Princess in September 2014 was mostly low 20s, and lower, but I would not have wanted it any warmer, particularly with all the walking we did

We were on Celebrity Eclipse end July/ beginning of August 2015.

Our first week of weather, July, was cold and wet, the 2 nd, August, was much warmer and sunny. You cannot predict the weather, in Northern Europe in the summer, except to say it's usually warmer than winter. We were once in Iceland in early July, they had had snow the previous day, but it was a sunny 'warm' (12c) day when we were there! I really did wear layers that day.

We sailed the last Baltic cruise on the Regal last year, Aug 30-Sept 10. Other than a thunderstorm in Copenhagen precruise and a 10 min shower in St Petersburg, it was dry the entire cruise. We had perfect weather with daily highs between 62f-72f. The crew incl the commodore kept saying that was the best and most perfect weather they had experienced all summer. It was too cool at night to watch MUTS but shorts weather during the day.

We went expecting the unexpected and you should too. We purchased rain gear and brought coats but thankfully didn't need them. We even saw leaves changing on the smaller trees in parts of Denmark and St Pete so we knew it had been cold at some point before we arrived.

We've done the Baltic that time of year. The year we went it was around the low 20's. Quite pleasant weather, however, being the Baltic it can also be unpredictable weather (even from hour to hour)

We were generally in shorts and T-shirts during the days, and dressed for Dinner in the Evenings.

Best advice I think for the Baltic that time of year is plan to dress in light layers.

we were on the regal last year aug 22-sept 2. i wore jeans everyday and short sleve tops,sweatshirts, long sleeves and even jackets with swearshirts underneath. be prepared for 50-80 F and be sure to pack an umbrella and GOOD walking shoes that will stand up to cobblestone streets! you definitly need cool clothes for early in the day and after the sun goes down. you will love the cruise-it is great!

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

Here are a few weather averages/details for these three key cities in the Baltics by looking at the 7th, 15th, 23rd days of each month from http://www.wunderground.com:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May, early: 61 high/47 low °F

May, mid: 63/48 °F

May, late: 65/50 °F

June, early: 67/53 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 69/54 °F

July, early: 69/55 °F

July, mid: 69/54 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/53 °F

August, mid: 66/52 °F

August, late: 64/51 °F

Sept., early: 60/49 °F

Sept., mid: 58/47 °F

Sept., late: 56/45 °F

St. Petersburg:

May, early: 60 high/41 low °F

May, mid: 62/44 °F

May, late: 65/46 °F

June, early: 68/49 °F

June, mid: 70/51 °F

June, late: 72/53 °F

July, early: 72/53 °F

July, mid: 71/52 °F

July, late: 70/51 °F

August, early: 66/48 °F

August, mid: 64/46 °F

August, late: 61/45 °F

Sept., early: 55/41 °F

Sept., mid: 52/38 °F

Sept., late: 48/36 °F

Stockholm:

May, early: 60 high/44 low °F

May, mid: 62/46 °F

May, late: 63/49 °F

June, early: 66/52 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 70/55 °F

July, early: 71/56 °F

July, mid: 70/55 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/52 °F

August, mid: 65/50 °F

August, late: 63/48 °F

Sept., early: 58/44 °F

Sept., mid: 54/42 °F

Sept., late: 51/40 °F

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 208,517 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We were cold in Copenhagen on a rainy day, but generally comfortable everywhere else (sailed in late August). You need to bring layers, since the weather is unpredictable.

I'd recommend watching the forecast if you want to go on canal cruises in st. Petersburg or Copenhagen, as that is much more pleasant when the weather is warmer and sunny.

many thanks to all of you for your helpful replies.

we are coming from Sydney, Australia so 19 C or 66 F is on the cool side for us.

after reading your replies, I'll be prepared for weather changes....bring layers of clothing....and most likely leave the thermals at home and hope for warmer weather during the day time....;-)

this cruise itinerary is fantastic and we're looking forward to visiting this northern part of Europe esp St Petersburg and Tallinn

---this cruise itinerary is fantastic and we're looking forward to visiting this northern part of Europe esp St Petersburg and Tallinn

We arrived in Tallin on a beautiful day and strolled through the streets taking photos. We went into a church that was renovating Russian art work. Suddenly the church became very busy- it was pouring outside. We sheltered, along with everyone else, for about half an hour. Eventually we decided we would have to leave, so then sheltered in a Taverna!

The rain wasn't going to stop, so we just about paddled back to the ship. By the time we got off the shuttle bus the sun was out again!!!