Seattle questions

viggyfrommaine

Let me complicate the matter be suggesting you look at the Smith Tower instead of the Columbia Center/Sky View Observatory.

The Smith Tower (Smith-Corona typewriters, also L.C. Smith guns - not the Smith in Smith & Wesson) was for many years the tallest building west of Chicago, and it's still quite a landmark despite being over 100 years old. At the top of the building is the famous "Chinese Room" (so named because it's full of gifts to Mr. Smith from the Empress of China) which has recently been renovated and reopened to include a "speakeasy" called the Temperance Cafe and Bar.

In addition to the food and booze offerings, there's an outdoor deck that surrounds the tower, offering great views of the waterfront, stadiums, the Space Needle bracketed by high-rises, ferries, etc. It's not as high as the Columbia Center, but it's way cooler - elevators with human operators, and a terrific sense of history. It costs about the same as the Sky View Observatory, but you'll be supporting a very important historical building (on the National Register of Historic Places) and a pretty nifty space. http://www.smithtower.com/

I'll also put in a plug for another Seattle institution, the fabulous Uwajimaya Asian supermarket and department store, which is a couple of blocks (the other way) from the train station. (Use the skybridge to the light rail/bus station then walk a block south.) Uwajimaya is wonderful - best fish counter in town (way better then the fish flingers at the Pike Place market) and a great place to play "name that vegetable" in the produce section. They have a very fun food court offering all sorts of Asian food - Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Hawaiian... also burgers, a wonderful bakery, and lots of other things - as well as a big department store area selling everything from Japanese eyeglass frames to kimonos to rice cookers to china and cooking tools. There's a big branch of the famous Kinokuniya book store too. It's a blast to browse around Uwajimaya, maybe buy some weird Japanese snacks for the trip, then head back to King Street and off you go. http://www.uwajimaya.com/stores/seattle

Here's a map showing the location of the various places mentioned: https://goo.gl/maps/dVb9cNe3UsL2

Thanks for that advice... that tower looks interesting (way more than the others noted) and I def. want to visit the Japanese/asian store (we've been to Kinokuniya multiple times in NYC) I am very interested in the Chinatown area,what is the best way to get from our hotel (Holiday inn express near space needle) down to the Chinatown area?

Thanks for that advice... that tower looks interesting (way more than the others noted) and I def. want to visit the Japanese/asian store (we've been to Kinokuniya multiple times in NYC) I am very interested in the Chinatown area,what is the best way to get from our hotel (Holiday inn express near space needle) down to the Chinatown area?
Three options:

1. Have the hotel desk point you to the RapidRide bus stop on Aurora, the big arterial that runs in front of your hotel. (You'll need to walk a couple of blocks to get on the other side of the trench.) From there, catch the RapidRide "E" bus and take it to the end at 3rd and Washington, from which it's around a 5 min. walk to the Chinatown/International District.

2. If you want to use the monorail from Seattle Center then take it to the Westlake terminus, go down to the light rail station (under the Westlake Center building where the monorail stops) and take the light rail train to the International District station. Uwajimaya is a block south of that station.

3. Walk three blocks downhill from the HIE to Westlake Ave. N. and catch the Lake Union Streetcar to its terminus, head below to the light rail station, and repeat as in option 2 above.

In my opinion the HIE's location is pretty lousy, but if that's where you're staying, so be it.

.3. Has anyone heard of Bill Speidel's Underground Tour? If so, is that worth doing?

Thanks again! Denise

I did the tour and it was very interesting.

However you should take into account that it is very popular and crowded and that you may have to wait a long time until you start. You could look up if they are taking reservations. The meeting place was in a pub so you can drink and nosh will waiting or walk around the area.

We agree. We saw the lines at the SpaceNeedle and said "no way." Instead enjoyed the view OF the SpaceNeedle from the Columbia Tower. They have a AAA discount. Also there is a small "snack bar" which had an outstanding cheese and fruit plate. We happily enjoyed the view and food with a glass of wine. It was uncrowded and there a signs all around so you know what you are looking at. This is conveniently just down the street from the Seattle Public Library. Check out the exterior. It's interesting.

Thank you for the tip Traveling Library (and Eaglecw). We'll be staying at the Arctic Club anyway so this seems A LOT more convenient then schlepping all the way over to the Space Needle (and the views look better too IMO).

I had originally planned on going to the Space Needle for Brunch, but now the money saved can be spent on a much better tasting brunch someplace else. Now for my question- who has the best brunch in Seattle??

I had originally planned on going to the Space Needle for Brunch, but now the money saved can be spent on a much better tasting brunch someplace else. Now for my question- who has the best brunch in Seattle??

Walk down Columbia Street to the waterfront, then south 2 blocks to the West Seattle Water Taxi dock. Take the water taxi - http://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/water-taxi/west-seattle.aspx - across Elliott Bay to Seacrest Park in West Seattle. (Note only the winter schedule is now shown; by cruise season there are many more sailings.)

Brunch option 1, cheap, funky: Marination Ma Kai. Marination Ma Kai is right on the water taxi dock and offers a sort of Korean/Hawaiian/Mexican fusion menu - Spam musubi, Loco Moco, kalbi tacos, etc. Fab food, very cheap, and a great bar. Their deck on a sunny weekend morning is fabulous - Bloody Marys and Kimchi fried rice... what's not to love?

Brunch option 2, buffet, $$$: Turn left from the water taxi dock and walk 200 yards south to Salty's at Alki. Many people say this is the best brunch in Seattle; I'm not so sure but it's a terrific buffet and the room has the best view of any nice dining room in town. Bring money.

Salty's from the water taxi dock:

20140513_11a.JPG

Downtown Seattle from the water taxi dock:

20091226_31a.JPG

Note once you're in West Seattle you can walk off the eggs Benedict or the mai tais by taking the waterfront walking/bike path up to and around Duwamish Head, even as far as Alki Beach. This is a terrific walk - paved and level - that gives great views of the harbor, city, passing ferries and Olympic mountains, easily the best free "excursion" available in Seattle. (You can also rent bikes or kayaks from the water taxi dock.) You could see our little Statue of Liberty if you go all the way to the beach (around 2 miles from the dock) - and take the free shuttle bus back to the water taxi.

20140513_47H2.jpg

20140513_62B%20-%20Copy.JPG

Thanks for the info! We want to take the light rail to the Westlake link stop which I believe is about 4 blocks from our Hotel(Kimpton Palladian 2nd Ave and Virginia) If you could report back after your trip it would be much appreciated!

We arrived last night at 7pm and used the light rail from the airport to Westlake. It as about 1/4 full and increased to about 1/2 full a few stops from Westlake. We had no problem storing our bags and there were no bikes. I don't think this is a very good reflection of what to expect during the summer, or during peak commute times, which can be much different.

We arrived last night at 7pm and used the light rail from the airport to Westlake. It as about 1/4 full and increased to about 1/2 full a few stops from Westlake. We had no problem storing our bags and there were no bikes. I don't think this is a very good reflection of what to expect during the summer, or during peak commute times, which can be much different.

Thanks for the update! We will of course be trying this the first week of June so I'm sure there will be a little more cruise and tourist traffic but at least it won't be during morning and evening peak commute times. Guess we will give it a try.

Now for my question- who has the best brunch in Seattle??

While unfortunately it means still schlepping up to Seattle Center, I think the best brunch is still at Toulouse Petit. It's certainly outrageously popular, so expect long waits for a table unless you get in at more of a regular breakfast time than 'Peak Brunch' time.

Edited by martincath
add link

Walk down Columbia Street to the waterfront, then south 2 blocks to the West Seattle Water Taxi dock. Take the water taxi - http://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/water-taxi/west-seattle.aspx - across Elliott Bay to Seacrest Park in West Seattle. (Note only the winter schedule is now shown; by cruise season there are many more sailings.)

Brunch option 1, cheap, funky: Marination Ma Kai. Marination Ma Kai is right on the water taxi dock and offers a sort of Korean/Hawaiian/Mexican fusion menu - Spam musubi, Loco Moco, kalbi tacos, etc. Fab food, very cheap, and a great bar. Their deck on a sunny weekend morning is fabulous - Bloody Marys and Kimchi fried rice... what's not to love?

Brunch option 2, buffet, $$$: Turn left from the water taxi dock and walk 200 yards south to Salty's at Alki. Many people say this is the best brunch in Seattle; I'm not so sure but it's a terrific buffet and the room has the best view of any nice dining room in town. Bring money.

While unfortunately it means still schlepping up to Seattle Center, I think the best brunch is still at Toulouse Petit. It's certainly outrageously popular, so expect long waits for a table unless you get in at more of a regular breakfast time than 'Peak Brunch' time.

Thank you both very much for the wonderful suggestions!! I am going to visit their websites and drool over their menus for a while ;)

Toulouse Petit is also a favorite of mine, but breakfast on the weekends is really a zoo.

If you were planning to visit the Pike Place market anyway, breakfast is the best time to go. You can watch the market merchants setting up, everything is fresh, and while not fancy a couple of the restaurants in the market, such as Lowell's, the Athenian or Cafe Campagne, have pretty good food; Lowell's and the Athenian have killer views of the harbor - ferries, freighters etc. - from their windows.

http://eatatlowells.com/

http://www.athenianseattle.com/

http://cafecampagne.com/

Plan to get there as early as possible; if your body clocks are still in some other time zone, it's ideal to be there by 7 or 8, have breakfast, then wander around and look at the stands, buy some flowers or join the masses at the "original" (it isn't) Starbucks, but try to be gone by 10:30 at the latest, after which the crowds become terrible.

Not to add more options to your plate, the Klondike Gold Rush National Park in Pioneer Square is another option.

I live in Eastern Washington and get over to Seattle quite a bit. Here is a link with a bunch of pictures from around Seattle and can assist your planning.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2455925

Thanks for the update! We will of course be trying this the first week of June so I'm sure there will be a little more cruise and tourist traffic but at least it won't be during morning and evening peak commute times. Guess we will give it a try.

Something else that we noticed that is new since we last rode the light rail was the area that was designed for bike storage. There is a sign now that indicates the area is for both bikes and luggage and indicates "First come, First served Basis".