Seattle questions

viggyfrommaine

I am arriving in Seattle with my mom (70), sister (48) and daughter (19) on Friday, May 19th. We are staying at the Maxwell Hotel prior to our Norwegian Pearl Alaska cruise departure on Sunday, May 21st. I have a few questions for the Seattle experts out there:

1) Is it possible for the 4 of us to take the Central Link light rail from the airport to downtown Seattle (Westgate?) and then walk or pick up an Uber the rest of the way to the Maxwell hotel? We will each have 1 large piece of luggage as well as one carry on. We are all healthy with no physical limitations. Is there another inexpensive alternative to get 4 of us from the airport to the hotel that we should consider?

2) We are planning on purchasing the City Pass and hoping to accomplish the following in our short stay in Seattle:

Friday: Flight arrives at SeaTac at 12:30 p.m. Check in at hotel, lunch, EMP

Museum, Space Needle and Chihuli Gardens and Glass at night.

Saturday: Breakfast and visit Pike Place Market, Harbor Tour, Seattle Great Wheel,

Wings Over Washington and back to Space Needle at night.

Sunday: Drop off luggage at Pier 66 around 10:30 a.m. and then Seattle

Aquarium before boarding Norwegian Pearl around 12:30 p.m..

Is the above itinerary reasonable or is it too much crammed into a short period of time? Should we add or drop any of the attractions from our list? Is the City Pass worth it? The two items on the City Pass that are of most interest to us are the Space Needle and Chihuli Gardens. We will not have a car but we can use the hotel's free shuttle to most attractions. We really want to see some of the highlights of Seattle in our short stay. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thank you!

The Space Needle and Chihuly offer a package twofer deal. I would probably go that route vs. the city pass.

You are indeed cramming a lot into your time. You should also be aware that May can be dreary and cloudy (and/or wet) and some of the outdoor activities might not be all that pleasant. Not buying the pass means you can play things by ear.

With luggage I think you're turning yourselves into pretzels by trying to take the train plus an Uber etc. I'd take an Uber or limo from the airport to your hotel, then look for someplace to get back the five or ten bucks per person (roughly the maximum you'd save) over the next 24 hours. If you dropped the city pass and did some free or cheap things instead (for example take the ferry to Bainbridge Island and back v. the harbor tour and/or aquarium) you'd end up money ahead.

I've done exactly what you list above - LINK from SEA then a cab from Westgate to the Maxwell. It's too far to walk with luggage even for a very fit 70yr old IMO - cab fare was about $8 IIRC.

With only two of us, we fit in the first cab we found no problem - but 4 of you might need an Uber XL, or 2 Prius/other compacts. I'd at least compare pricing all the way by car service vs. the approx $20 LINK & cab - fixed rate fares from the airport to the Maxwell can be figured in advance on Uber etc. and EastSideForHire use an even simpler zipcode to zipcode price structure, no Surge (but NB: their fleet is pretty much all compact cars). I think Wingz is also operating at SEA now - they have both a fixed price and specify number of pax/bags to ensure an appropriate size car.

It is a busy schedule, and you'll find that the Maxwell's free shuttle isn't as convenient as you think - there are many other guests also wanting to use it, and unless things have changed it's a dropoff only service without a pickup or transfer element (otherwise you could call them to come get you from Westgate!)

I'd be tempted to play it more by ear as well; sure, book the needle/chihuly package if that's high priority for all of you, EMP and WoW and most of the market are indoors, but the others are going to be much more pleasant on a sunny day than a dreich one.

Sticking to a short list of attractions because they're included in the pass also means you won't have time to visit any non-pass-included other sites that you may enjoy more... with three generations of people I'd suggest an independent look over Tripadvisor listings for each of you, list your top three and some second choices, then compare lists. Anything you all want to see, go do those - if the pass still makes financial sense, get one.

Not sure how it works with the city pass.... but if you are buying tickets for the space needle on site... seriously think about getting the tickets online and booking your Space Needle elevator ride up. I remember arriving at 5pm and the next available ride up was something like 9pm! Wished we pre-purchased online and booked our ride up.

The rates for Uber/Lyft from Seatac to downtown Seattle are all regulated, just like cab fares. I believe that you'll pay between $45-50 for an UberX from Seatac to the Maxwell. You'll probably need an Uber XL for the number of people you are transporting, and that will cost more, but you'll get door-to-door service and not have to deal with schlepping luggage onto the light rail, off the light rail, hail a cab and take a relatively short drive to the hotel door. So, I strongly suggest ding Uber/Lyft from Seatac directly to the hotel.

I think your Friday schedule is ambitious. Keep in mind, that you may land at 12:30, but you won't see your checked luggage until 12:45 or 12:50. You'll then need to get yourself from Seatac to downtown. That is a 35 to 45 minute drive if you choose cab/Uber/Lyft. And if the driver is smart they won't take I-5 and will take you into downtown on the 99, which is generally faster and avoids a lot of nasty traffic. It isn't a scenic route and goes through a heavily industrial zone, but it is faster.

I bet you won't get checked in until 1:30, no make that 2. So, you'll need to find lunch. There is good food at the Maxwell, so you don't necessarily need to leave the property to find a decent lunch.

An alternate option is to check in and then head immediately to the Space Needle for lunch. The cost of a meal at the Space Needle covers your elevator ride up to the restaurant and gives you unlimited time on the observation deck, but beware prices are high, but if you subtract off the book cost of a ticket up the Space Needle, it kind of evens out. Last time I ate there the food was very good.

Then you could take in the EMP, and don't forget the Science Fiction Museum, and then Chihuli. Your day is very busy. I'd be prepared to drop at least one of the items on your list for Friday. If you are planning on visiting the Space Needle twice, once during the day and at night, I'd drop the day visit and have dinner at the Space Needle at night instead.

Your Saturday looks equally ambitious, but there is nothing I don't think you can't do if you keep your day moving. Again, make your evening visit to the Space Needle dinner at the Space needle and remove the Friday visit and I think you'll have a more enjoyable Friday.

I agree with the poster that warned against using the shuttle from the hotel. Hotel shuttles, especially in Seattle, aren't a super efficient way to get around. Plus, everyone else wants to use the free transportation, and in a city like Seattle, there is no such thing as free transportation. I recommend being prepared to Uber your party around town. You'll be a lot happier you did so.

City Passes can be a good value if you visit enough of the attractions, but you may want to look past the offerings on the City Pass and see if there is something else you want to visit that isn't included. My family visits Seattle for fun about twice a year and we've never found City Pass to be a good value for our various interests. Plus, we often want to get off the beaten path and that isn't hard in Seattle.

Luggage on Link lightrail can be a problem - there is really no place to put it other than on seats. From airport (2nd stop on line) there may be plenty of seats when you get on but it will fill up along the way downtown and leave a lot of people standing who would want the seats. There is a bike rack spot that sometimes gets used for luggage but only at risk of the ire of bike riders.

EMP has been renamed Mopop (Museum of Popular Culture) so there might be references to both the old and new name. If not seriously interested in guitars or science fiction it might be worth skipping. I checked their web site and see it is closed today due to rare heavy snow in Seattle.

I'd start browsing groupon for Seattle attractions. you might get a great deal. Watch the fine print for exclusion dates before you purchase to make sure it includes the dates you're in town. I scan groupon forn other cities I travel to and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesnt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Thank you everyone for providing your feedback. So many good ideas! I will definitely start looking for Groupons. We have decided to use Uber XL to get from the airport to the hotel and from Pier 66 back to the airport at the end of our cruise. The hotel will shuttle us to the Aquarium on Sunday when we leave for the cruise and they say that we can walk to Pier 66 from the Aquarium. We will hold off on purchasing the City Pass and will buy the combo Chihuly and Space Needle pass instead. A few more questions:

1. If we only visit the Space Needle once, is it better to go during the day or at night? The combo pass only allows one visit whereas the City Pass allowed two visits within 24 hours.

2. What other sights should we see in Seattle, especially if weather is going to be wet/rainy?

3. Has anyone heard of Bill Speidel's Underground Tour? If so, is that worth doing?

3. Any good restaurant recommendations in the area of the Maxwell Hotel?

Thanks again! Denise

1. If we only visit the Space Needle once, is it better to go during the day or at night? The combo pass only allows one visit whereas the City Pass allowed two visits within 24 hours.

2. What other sights should we see in Seattle, especially if weather is going to be wet/rainy?

3. Has anyone heard of Bill Speidel's Underground Tour? If so, is that worth doing?

3. Any good restaurant recommendations in the area of the Maxwell Hotel?

1. I would say the daytime is better because it will give you the lay of the land. Frankly I'd give strong consideration to having lunch at the Space Needle. There's a $25 per person minimum, but they throw in the elevator and observation deck for free (and also no lines) and the food is actually pretty good. If you were going to have lunch anyway, you could easily come off money ahead. Then just pay for Chihuly on its own, and if the weather's okay, come right around sunset so you can see the gardens both in daylight and at night.

2. There's a lot to see even with limited time. Obviously you want to visit the Pike Place Market, but do so as early in the morning as you can, as it becomes very crowded (and IMO unpleasant) by 10:30 or 11. It's a great place for breakfast; you can watch the merchants set up for the day, etc.

A ferry ride across Puget Sound to Bainbridge Island is also terrific. It's cheap ($8.20 round trip, $4.10 for seniors) and will give you superb views of the harbor, Seattle skyline, various mountains if visible, a (very remote) chance of seeing some Orcas, and Winslow, the town on Bainbridge where the ferry docks, is quite good for a walk-around or a waterfront burger or beer. Even if the weather's crummy, the ferry is fun.

The Ballard locks - http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Locks-and-Dams/Chittenden-Locks/ - are free and a great place to visit; the gardens are beautiful and you can see migrating salmon (if present) through an underwater viewing window.

From the Maxwell it's a short bus or shuttle ride (I'm sure they'd take you if asked) or a free cardio workout walk up to Kerry Park on the south side of Queen Anne Hill. (The Maxwell is at the bottom.) Kerry Park has the famous "Frasier" view of Seattle -

HDR%20Trial%20011010aS.jpg

3. The Underground Tour is one of the longest-standing tourist attractions in town. It's quite amusing and interesting, if a bit kitschy.

4. There are lots of places near the Maxwell. What are your tastes? My personal fave (one of the best restaurants in town IMO) is Toulouse Petit, a couple of blocks' walk from the hotel. Their "happy hour" breakfasts are fabulous bargains; at night it's a very popular watering hole, with terrific food. http://toulousepetit.com/

If you are in to history it can be interesting (and yes, kitschy is the word). It might make sense to pick up a copy of Spiedel's book "Sons of the Profits: There's No Business Like Grow Business. The Seattle Story, 1851-1901" from Amazon for a few dollars and read before coming to Seattle. It details the period the tour covers and how the city started. Problem with the tour though is it is located in the Pioneer Square area which is the opposite direction from Seattle Center and on a limited time budget that's a lot of travel back and forth.

We don’t go to the Space Needle anymore, it’s over rated, the food is overpriced, there’s a $25 minimum per person. We like to take our out of towners to the Sky View http://www.skyviewobservatory.com/ on the 73rd floor of the Columbia tower, the view is outstanding. Or the Museum of History and industry MOHAI http://www.mohai.org/ and then there is the Museum of flight at Boeing field http://www.museumofflight.org/ you could spend a couple of days in Seattle and not hit all the hot spots.

Hmmm, I was thinking of taking the light rail to Westgate as well in June. Strange the light rail would come from the airport but no place to put luggage. I certainly don't want to inconvenience other passengers. Well.....back to the drawing board I guess.

We like to take our out of towners to the Sky View http://www.skyviewobservatory.com/ on the 73rd floor of the Columbia tower, the view is outstanding. .

We agree. We saw the lines at the SpaceNeedle and said "no way." Instead enjoyed the view OF the SpaceNeedle from the Columbia Tower. They have a AAA discount. Also there is a small "snack bar" which had an outstanding cheese and fruit plate. We happily enjoyed the view and food with a glass of wine. It was uncrowded and there a signs all around so you know what you are looking at. This is conveniently just down the street from the Seattle Public Library. Check out the exterior. It's interesting.

The light rail is OK for those who travel light. A rolling carryon will fit under the seat, tote/backpack in lap. Anything larger will compete for space with bikes, wheelchairs and strollers. Don't remember any way to tie down the luggage, so you'd have to stand with it.

I wholeheartedly recommend the City Pass if you're going to do all of that. It includes everything on your list and you'll end up saving a lot of money. Basically, you'll be getting into the Space Needle and Aquarium for free.

As for going to Pike Place Market on a Saturday, expect HUGE crowds. If you want to do it, I'd suggest making that the last place to go to that day. Say after 2:00 or so if you can.

The light rail is OK for those who travel light. A rolling carryon will fit under the seat, tote/backpack in lap. Anything larger will compete for space with bikes, wheelchairs and strollers. Don't remember any way to tie down the luggage, so you'd have to stand with it.

The light rail in DFW is the same way. It actually ends at the airport, but there is nowhere to store luggage. I think if cities are going to advertise the convenience of rail to their airport, it should actually be convenient!!! But maybe that is just me.

Any chance that on a Friday midday coming from Seatac to the Westlake stop between 11am and 1pm it wouldn't be to crowded for a couple with 2 larger suitcases? Anyone actually done it? It just seems crazy they would build light rail from a airport and not expect travelers to try and use it with luggage.

Any chance that on a Friday midday coming from Seatac to the Westlake stop between 11am and 1pm it wouldn't be to crowded for a couple with 2 larger suitcases? Anyone actually done it? It just seems crazy they would build light rail from a airport and not expect travelers to try and use it with luggage.

We’ve been using the light rail from Seatac to Westlake several times per year since it opened. We’ve never had problems with storing our luggage and it has never been more than half full with riders when starting at the airport. We haven’t ridden since they opened the line south so that may change things. We’re using it next week and will find out then. The only time it has been full is when there was a football game the day we were returning to the airport.

It probably will be okay, but during cruise season all bets are off. The issue probably won't be from the airport into the downtown area, it will be once you're in the downtown zone, say from the Stadium stop up to Westlake. And depending on where you're going after Westlake, it might be pretty congested on the streets.

The light rail wasn't built as an airport service, it was built to take workers in and out of downtown and the University of Washington. In fact it seems to be the case that there are more airport workers who use the train to get to work than passengers using it to get downtown.

We’ve been using the light rail from Seatac to Westlake several times per year since it opened. We’ve never had problems with storing our luggage and it has never been more than half full with riders when starting at the airport. We haven’t ridden since they opened the line south so that may change things. We’re using it next week and will find out then. The only time it has been full is when there was a football game the day we were returning to the airport.

Thanks for the info! We want to take the light rail to the Westlake link stop which I believe is about 4 blocks from our Hotel(Kimpton Palladian 2nd Ave and Virginia) If you could report back after your trip it would be much appreciated!

Can you recommend a nice restaurant for lunch between Amtrak station and the Skyview Observatory? It doesn't look like they have much of a restaurant on the top? And I know my hubby will want to have some kind of lunch/dinner before we get on the train to go to Vancouver.

Thank you!!

Can you recommend a nice restaurant for lunch between Amtrak station and the Skyview Observatory? It doesn't look like they have much of a restaurant on the top? And I know my hubby will want to have some kind of lunch/dinner before we get on the train to go to Vancouver.

Thank you!!

Let me complicate the matter be suggesting you look at the Smith Tower instead of the Columbia Center/Sky View Observatory.

The Smith Tower (Smith-Corona typewriters, also L.C. Smith guns - not the Smith in Smith & Wesson) was for many years the tallest building west of Chicago, and it's still quite a landmark despite being over 100 years old. At the top of the building is the famous "Chinese Room" (so named because it's full of gifts to Mr. Smith from the Empress of China) which has recently been renovated and reopened to include a "speakeasy" called the Temperance Cafe and Bar.

In addition to the food and booze offerings, there's an outdoor deck that surrounds the tower, offering great views of the waterfront, stadiums, the Space Needle bracketed by high-rises, ferries, etc. It's not as high as the Columbia Center, but it's way cooler - elevators with human operators, and a terrific sense of history. It costs about the same as the Sky View Observatory, but you'll be supporting a very important historical building (on the National Register of Historic Places) and a pretty nifty space. http://www.smithtower.com/

I'll also put in a plug for another Seattle institution, the fabulous Uwajimaya Asian supermarket and department store, which is a couple of blocks (the other way) from the train station. (Use the skybridge to the light rail/bus station then walk a block south.) Uwajimaya is wonderful - best fish counter in town (way better then the fish flingers at the Pike Place market) and a great place to play "name that vegetable" in the produce section. They have a very fun food court offering all sorts of Asian food - Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Hawaiian... also burgers, a wonderful bakery, and lots of other things - as well as a big department store area selling everything from Japanese eyeglass frames to kimonos to rice cookers to china and cooking tools. There's a big branch of the famous Kinokuniya book store too. It's a blast to browse around Uwajimaya, maybe buy some weird Japanese snacks for the trip, then head back to King Street and off you go. http://www.uwajimaya.com/stores/seattle

Here's a map showing the location of the various places mentioned: https://goo.gl/maps/dVb9cNe3UsL2