Epic, escape, or getaway with 4 kids

mncruiser84

So we just got off the epic on Saturday and we are already thinking about the next one. This time I think we are going to be brave and bring the kids. We have 4 kids they will be 8, 8, 11, and 11 when we cruise. I should have paid more attention to the splash Academy when we were on board but I didnt. Will they all be in the same group? Also which ship do you guys recommend for these ages? Any comments from anyone sailing with 3 or more kids I'd really appreciate it. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the rooms work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

My DH and I sailed the Epic, then decided to bring our DD7 (almost 8 at the time) on the Escape...she LOVED it!

She was in the 6-9 splash academy group and went every night and begged to go! She met a bunch of friends and they would meet up at the water park each day, and in turn, we ended up hanging out with their parents LOL win win!

They will love it!

We are booked on the Getaway for spring break because our 9 year old picked it. Christmas '18 will be on the EPIC, his and DH's choice. He likes water slides and the Splash Academy and they all have those...so don't think you can go wrong.

Still hoping someone can chime in the differences between the different Splash Academies.

We are booked on the Getaway for spring break because our 9 year old picked it. Christmas '18 will be on the EPIC, his and DH's choice. He likes water slides and the Splash Academy and they all have those...so don't think you can go wrong.

Still hoping someone can chime in the differences between the different Splash Academies.

I think the getaway or escape will be the best choice. You guys will have a great time on the Epic.

I think they took the kids pool off the Epic, didn't they? (don't know about the splash academy, it seems all the kids have fun on all the newer ships). We just got off the Getaway, and the kids pool area was always jumping.

My husband and I cruised with our four children aboard the Escape this past December and all the kids (sons 5 & 6; daughters 10 & 12) loved it. They have all asked if we can cruise on the Escape again. All four of them enjoyed spending some time at the Splash Academy activities (sometimes for a few hours in the afternoon and most evenings after dinner while the adults went to the show or lounge). They also loved the sun deck amenities (various water slides, my daughters loved the kids pool and my sons adored the splash pad) where we spent time every day of course. The ropes course was a lot of fun and the kids enjoyed the arcade (although my sign & sail card did not) and mini-golf as well. We really made full use of the amenities on board. The kids all thought the ship was really nice, easy to navigate and enjoyed the food in the dining venues we tried and especially the Garden Cafe.

My husband and I took our daughters on the Epic back in 2012 when they were 6 & 8 and I remember that cruise very fondly as well. Up until the Escape, the Epic was my favourite family cruise. The Escape is better laid out in my opinion and has more to offer, in terms of family activities.

I have never cruised the Getaway but friends of mine did with their two kids and extended family and they came back raving about it.

In terms of room arrangements, I have to admit we are extremely fortunate that the two times we have cruised with all four of our children (Escape and Celebrity Silhouette), we have also cruised with my parents so they take my daughters in their cabin and my sons stay with my husband and I. We are currently looking at booking in 2018 or 2019 and are pricing for the 6 of us. We are looking at a 3/3 configuration of a boys room and a girls room. We would love to be able to contemplate a suite that could accommodate all of us but it's simply beyond our price point.

Good luck with your decision making and I'm sure that regardless of which ship you choose, your family will have a great cruise given that you enjoyed the Epic.

My husband and I cruised with our four children aboard the Escape this past December and all the kids (sons 5 & 6; daughters 10 & 12) loved it. They have all asked if we can cruise on the Escape again. All four of them enjoyed spending some time at the Splash Academy activities (sometimes for a few hours in the afternoon and most evenings after dinner while the adults went to the show or lounge). They also loved the sun deck amenities (various water slides, my daughters loved the kids pool and my sons adored the splash pad) where we spent time every day of course. The ropes course was a lot of fun and the kids enjoyed the arcade (although my sign & sail card did not) and mini-golf as well. We really made full use of the amenities on board. The kids all thought the ship was really nice, easy to navigate and enjoyed the food in the dining venues we tried and especially the Garden Cafe.

My husband and I took our daughters on the Epic back in 2012 when they were 6 & 8 and I remember that cruise very fondly as well. Up until the Escape, the Epic was my favourite family cruise. The Escape is better laid out in my opinion and has more to offer, in terms of family activities.

I have never cruised the Getaway but friends of mine did with their two kids and extended family and they came back raving about it.

In terms of room arrangements, I have to admit we are extremely fortunate that the two times we have cruised with all four of our children (Escape and Celebrity Silhouette), we have also cruised with my parents so they take my daughters in their cabin and my sons stay with my husband and I. We are currently looking at booking in 2018 or 2019 and are pricing for the 6 of us. We are looking at a 3/3 configuration of a boys room and a girls room. We would love to be able to contemplate a suite that could accommodate all of us but it's simply beyond our price point.

Good luck with your decision making and I'm sure that regardless of which ship you choose, your family will have a great cruise given that you enjoyed the Epic.

Thanks for the response. I think we've decided on the Escape.

I think we've convinced my dad and his wife to come along so that will take care of the room issue. Next time we'll have to try the 3/3 split.

I think you've made a great choice. You can really do as much or as little as you want and lots of opportunity to do things together as a family, as well as the kids to be off having their fun at Splash Academy while the adults take in a show or have a quiet meal.

Not only did the kids say they want to do the Escape again, but both my husband and my mother (who has cruised extensively across several lines) both said before we even disembarked, that they would both like to plan on cruising on the Escape again. First time that's ever happened!

Enjoy.

We're taking our first cruise ever on the Escape in March, and we are taking our 4 kids with us - ages 4, 6, 12 & 14. We ended up booking adjoining balcony cabins and plan on leaving the adjoining door open between them. I tend to over-research things, and the Escape seemed like the best option for our family with a wide age range of children :)

• 2 months later...

We are currently booked on the Epic but are seriously considering a switch to the Escape. The ports of call are not as good but the ship (from what I read) sounds amazing and the price (for just a little bit more, can get a confirmed room with drink package and 3rd sails free deal) than what we're booked on for the Epic (guaranteed balcony, no packages). Looking forward to hearing others comments.

Taken my 4 kiddies (then 4, 9, 11, 12) on the Breakaway with adjoining balcony rooms (had the 4 kids sleep in one and dh and I slept in the other). Took them on the Star (5, 9, 12, 13) And got Deluxe Owners Suite (2 bedrooms). Because of the Free at Sea and promos they had, it was actually more cost effective to get the suite than the balconies. Don't forget, with the suite you get all the promo perks. This summer (6, 11, 13, 14) we are going on Epic with them in Haven 2-bedroom. Less cost-effective than the adjoining balconies because they changed the perks so they only apply to the first two booked in the cabin, but still a great deal.

My kids only like DCL's kids' club so they won't go on NCL, but there was still a ton for them to do on Breakaway. Less for them to do on the Star, but I honestly think you can't go wrong with the kids with any of NCL's newer ships. They'll have a blast, and if they're anything like my kids, they'll be happy just to be allowed to go to the buffet by themselves.

Taken my 4 kiddies (then 4, 9, 11, 12) on the Breakaway with adjoining balcony rooms (had the 4 kids sleep in one and dh and I slept in the other). Took them on the Star (5, 9, 12, 13) And got Deluxe Owners Suite (2 bedrooms). Because of the Free at Sea and promos they had, it was actually more cost effective to get the suite than the balconies. Don't forget, with the suite you get all the promo perks. This summer (6, 11, 13, 14) we are going on Epic with them in Haven 2-bedroom. Less cost-effective than the adjoining balconies because they changed the perks so they only apply to the first two booked in the cabin, but still a great deal.

My kids only like DCL's kids' club so they won't go on NCL, but there was still a ton for them to do on Breakaway. Less for them to do on the Star, but I honestly think you can't go wrong with the kids with any of NCL's newer ships. They'll have a blast, and if they're anything like my kids, they'll be happy just to be allowed to go to the buffet by themselves.

Thanks for the tips. We switched over to the getaway and saved about $600. We have one balcony and an adjoining minisuite. The getaway isn't quite as big as the escape but I think the kids well still have plenty to do. The parents got the drink package and the grands got the dining the 3rd and 4th sale free is a great promo.