Extension cords

racnwdow

Just off Adventure of the Seas. Saw a lot of extension cord bars being confiscated from carry ons. So don't bother to bring any.

We had to track down our luggage because it went to the naughty room. We embarked late, so didn't realize that the suitcase was there until 10:30 after dinner. The message on our machine said to go to deck one. We did. But wrong end. So elevator ride up to 4 and then down to the other end. No one around for a few minutes, then they directed us to guest service on 5. It was the only suitcase left and the tag said we had a knife. Didn't know about any knife. So we had to unpack the large suitcase at the Shore Excursion desk, right out in the open. They found a extension bar that was accidently left in the bag from when I went to Israel. It didn't even work on the ship and they told me that. But they still confiscated it. Had to pick it up as we debarked. No big deal, but a bit of a hassle.

Are simple extension cords allowed?

The prohibited list mentions "Electrical extension cords" without qualification:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

They really aren't needed in this day and age anyway. Just bring a couple multi-socket plugs. Have one with USB ports and that's it.:cool:

Accidentally left in your bag? Yeah, right. :D

How do you not see a power strip in your bag when you are packing it. It's a good excuse to tell Guest Relations, but you can level with us!!! :)

I honestly can't figure out how it got left in the bag. I wouldn't plug into anything on the ship. I am guessing I didn't think about it or notice when I was throwing stuff in the suitcase. My husband does the actual packing, day before we leave and he probably just figured it was supposed to be there.

WE have always taken extension cords and outlet strips. We sleep with fans. Just make sure if you take them they are in good shape. I have seen some taken because they are old and worn out. We have had to go to the "Naughty Room " to get our luggage and explain that we don't sleep with out them.

I find it odd that they only give you one outlet and don't expect people to prepare.

When we disembarked Allure last Sunday, there was a table set up with confiscated items....

We had a good laugh as we saw at least half a dozen irons.... and lots of power strips and extension cords.

I want to know about pocket knives??? We saw many for sale in DI, the Swiss Army type. I asked could we take them on the ship???? They told us yes.... so are pocket knives permitted on the ships?

When we disembarked Allure last Sunday, there was a table set up with confiscated items....

We had a good laugh as we saw at least half a dozen irons.... and lots of power strips and extension cords.

I want to know about pocket knives??? We saw many for sale in DI, the Swiss Army type. I asked could we take them on the ship???? They told us yes.... so are pocket knives permitted on the ships?

Knives are on the prohibited list.

I thought so..... so you buy it and then it is taken away..... I wonder if you bought it in a island, would they take it away and then give it back. The scanners were pretty sensitive our trip last week.....

Off topic but I also found it odd in St Thomas, there was a Kiosk, right at the gate to enter/exit the ship that was selling sweet mixed island drinks...... to only find out after walking 50' you were not allowed to bring back on the ship. Must have been 50 people trying to drink their drink before boarding.

I thought so..... so you buy it and then it is taken away..... I wonder if you bought it in a island, would they take it away and then give it back. The scanners were pretty sensitive our trip last week.......

Yes, we've seen that happen when re-boarding.

I agree with Bob, they are certainly on the prohibited list. On the other hand, there was a very recent thread started by someone who had inadvertently brought a knife with them and was concerned that it might be confiscated when boarding the following day. His later post noted that he had no trouble bringing it aboard in his checked bag. Several other CC members stated that they too have been able to bring small pocket knives with them, while others have said they've seen them taken away. My guess is that the responsible security team members use a bit of common sense: a small pocket knife they'll let go, but don't try to bring your 12" Bowie knife with you! Of course, there will always be those who go strictly by the rules, so there's always a risk.

I agree with Bob, they are certainly on the prohibited list. On the other hand, there was a very recent thread started by someone who had inadvertently brought a knife with them and was concerned that it might be confiscated when boarding the following day. His later post noted that he had no trouble bringing it aboard in his checked bag. Several other CC members stated that they too have been able to bring small pocket knives with them, while others have said they've seen them taken away. My guess is that the responsible security team members use a bit of common sense: a small pocket knife they'll let go, but don't try to bring your 12" Bowie knife with you! Of course, there will always be those who go strictly by the rules, so there's always a risk.

Sometimes is it nice just to have a small pocket knife. We carry one all the time along with one thing not allowed on the ship. We don't take that one thing onboard.

Sometimes is it nice just to have a small pocket knife. We carry one all the time along with one thing not allowed on the ship. We don't take that one thing onboard.

Yes, I've always carried a pocket knife and, when cruising, a small multi-tool. So far, no issues on any line we've cruised with. Not the other item, however.

WE have always taken extension cords and outlet strips. We sleep with fans. Just make sure if you take them they are in good shape. I have seen some taken because they are old and worn out. We have had to go to the "Naughty Room " to get our luggage and explain that we don't sleep with out them.

I find it odd that they only give you one outlet and don't expect people to prepare.

Nope doesn't matter if it is good shape or not. It will be confiscated they are NOT allowed on RCCL ships.

Why not just pack some expansion plugs? The kind that plug directly into the wall socket and the other end has two outlets plus two more USB outlets for a total of four?

The only drama we had was that after cleaning, if we forgot, the plug was politely removed from the wall socket.

Plus we found that cruise life was so interesting that the intensive device use we were all assuming, what with phones, tablets, computers, etc, just did not occur, lol.

Why not just pack some expansion plugs? The kind that plug directly into the wall socket and the other end has two outlets plus two more USB outlets for a total of four?

The only drama we had was that after cleaning, if we forgot, the plug was politely removed from the wall socket.

Plus we found that cruise life was so interesting that the intensive device use we were all assuming, what with phones, tablets, computers, etc, just did not occur, lol.

You have to be careful with these combined power outlet/USB port units. Most of these are surge protected and should not be used onboard ships. Anything labeled with "joules of protection", "clamping voltage", or that has an LED labeled "protected" will be surge protected.

What is the concern behind the rule? Tripping hazard? Fire hazard? If fire hazard is the concern, wouldn't the expansion plugs also be prohibited?

The major concern is surge protected devices, which can cause fires when used onboard ships. RCI does not want to rely on untrained port security personnel to determine whether a device is surge protected or not, so they have placed a ban on all extension cords, and recently I've seen posts here that even the combination devices like the Belkin mini (combined power outlets and USB ports) are being confiscated as well. The line prefers to rely on their own cords, which they know are inspected regularly and are not surge protected.

What about the USB charging station type things? Anyone know if those fall into the no no category? I don't think they're surge protected, but they are doing some sort of power adjustment to cut the wall power down to the 5v USB devices.

Typically, a hub that is strictly USB ports, is fine. The real key is the plug. If the plug is two-prong, it is definitely not surge protected, while if it is a 3-prong plug, it may or may not be surge protected. Some of these may get by, some may not.