Extension cords

racnwdow

Typically, a hub that is strictly USB ports, is fine. The real key is the plug. If the plug is two-prong, it is definitely not surge protected, while if it is a 3-prong plug, it may or may not be surge protected. Some of these may get by, some may not.

Interesting and welcomed info.

BTW, Allure only has one Scrubber installed and still in testing. Chief Engr had no dates for install of second scrubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting and welcomed info.

BTW, Allure only has one Scrubber installed and still in testing. Chief Engr had no dates for install of second scrubber.

RCI has gone the route of multi-engine scrubbers, so one scrubber will handle 3 of her diesels. Now, until the scrubber meets the discharge requirements for the scrubbing water, it must be operated in the "closed" mode, where the water is recirculated. Once they have got the parameters set properly, they can operate in the "open" mode where the water is discharged to sea. The other engines must continue to run on diesel fuel while in the US ECA, but the engines on the scrubber can run on residual fuel.

They really aren't needed in this day and age anyway.

That's true. These days the electricity will just magically flow across the room to the bedsides where DW and I have our CPAPs. :rolleyes: We ask for extension cords on every cruise from both special needs before the cruise and the room steward after we board, and more often than not we never get them. That's why we bring our own: we can't count on Royal to provide them. We just pack them with our CPAPs, and never have had them questioned or confiscated.

RCI has gone the route of multi-engine scrubbers, so one scrubber will handle 3 of her diesels. Now, until the scrubber meets the discharge requirements for the scrubbing water, it must be operated in the "closed" mode, where the water is recirculated. Once they have got the parameters set properly, they can operate in the "open" mode where the water is discharged to sea. The other engines must continue to run on diesel fuel while in the US ECA, but the engines on the scrubber can run on residual fuel.

Thanks. Again interesting. I know she has 3 huge motors and 3 small ones which generate the power for the Azipods and other requirements of the ship. When we toured the Engineer/Engine Room, they were cruising 18kts and on one big engine and two small ones.

Typically, a hub that is strictly USB ports, is fine. The real key is the plug. If the plug is two-prong, it is definitely not surge protected, while if it is a 3-prong plug, it may or may not be surge protected. Some of these may get by, some may not.

That is exceptionally useful info. All of the hubs I use are two prong, so we'll take one of them and see. Being as all of our camera gear (iphones/gopros mostly) use USB to charge, it's much simpler to have a single hub.

That's true. These days the electricity will just magically flow across the room to the bedsides where DW and I have our CPAPs. :rolleyes: We ask for extension cords on every cruise from both special needs before the cruise and the room steward after we board, and more often than not we never get them. That's why we bring our own: we can't count on Royal to provide them. We just pack them with our CPAPs, and never have had them questioned or confiscated.

Everything electrical we bring has a battery charge by USB

When we disembarked Allure last Sunday, there was a table set up with confiscated items....

We had a good laugh as we saw at least half a dozen irons.... and lots of power strips and extension cords.

I want to know about pocket knives??? We saw many for sale in DI, the Swiss Army type. I asked could we take them on the ship???? They told us yes.... so are pocket knives permitted on the ships?

No, you can't bring pocket knives. My husband had a small pocket knife in his suitcase and had to go to the naughty room to get it. (They confiscated the knife and told him he could get it back at the end of the cruise.) What we thought comical was that we were given long sharp steak knives that night at dinner to cut our meat. :eek:

Thanks. Again interesting. I know she has 3 huge motors and 3 small ones which generate the power for the Azipods and other requirements of the ship. When we toured the Engineer/Engine Room, they were cruising 18kts and on one big engine and two small ones.

Well, "huge" and "small" are sort of relative. The "small" engines are 18,000hp, while the "huge" ones are 24,000hp, so only half again as large, and that added 6,000hp is from only 4 additional cylinders. Having the six engine configuration, and most ships that have this tend to have a mix of engine sizes, gives great flexibility in being able to maximize the load and hence the efficiency of the engines.

Ok this I know is stupid.

But, we are sailing on Oasis at the end of April.

We're going to need a lot more than just one plug (tablet, 2 phones, camera chargers etc). I need to know whats the best soloution for me here.

Coming from the UK, I will be bringing a 3 pronged plug, with a 2 pronged US converter on the end.

However I dont know now if I will be allowed?

Thanks

We're going to need a lot more than just one plug (tablet, 2 phones, camera chargers etc). I need to know whats the best soloution for me here.

Coming from the UK, I will be bringing a 3 pronged plug, with a 2 pronged US converter on the end.

Thanks

Depending on how much of your gear will charge via USB you can pick up a US style USB charging hub for pretty cheap. I think I paid about $20-$25 for the one I purchased recently, 6 USB ports and will charge out of all 6 concurrently. You could probably sell it for $15 on the way out of the terminal, if you didn't want to keep it around as well.

Thanks

I've not heard of adapters or converters being prohibited.

Note also that you may not need a converter. All RC ships have 220V Euro sockets, so if you have a device that will not function on US 110V, just bring a Euro to UK adapter and use the Euro socket.