New to Alaskan cruising have questions.

Thom524

My wife and are have cruised throughout the Caribbean and are going to do Alaska the last week of August. We have no idea on clothing or jackets or shoes or other things that might be specific to Alaskan cruises. Will we ever wear shorts? How heavy of jackets? Will we need boots? I have surmised that we will need rain gear but everything else is unknown. Help and suggestions please!

Edited by Thom524
misspelling

Look down the page for a post called ' minimalist packing' or something like that.

It provides the basics of what you will need. Layers is the key, with the top layer being a waterproof jacket.

Obviously you'll add more to the list more if you plan to dress up for formal nights or have activities like fishing or extensive hiking that require specific gear. And if you're someone who really feels the cold, pack some long underwear.

I always take a small daypack so I have somewhere to put the layers if the weather changes during the day, plus it holds my wallet, camera, snacks, entry tickets, maps etc.

I also encourage you to read past trip reports ( posted above), Many of them are photojournals. As you look thru the photos you'll see how people are dressed in good weather and in bad. Usually it's jeans, sweatshirt, jacket and a backpack.

You might want shorts along - especially if departure port is Seattle but Vancouver can be warm too in August. We always advise our family and friends that if they wan to visit it should be in August or September. It can occasionally get fairly warm to hot (up to 90°F or so) in Seattle in August - more so earlier than later. Later on, farther north, the need for layers would increase some but it can be nice sometimes. Still, taking a stocking cap and gloves for areas around glaciers could be a lot more comfortable.

My wife and are have cruised throughout the Caribbean and are going to do Alaska the last week of August. We have no idea on clothing or jackets or shoes or other things that might be specific to Alaskan cruises. Will we ever wear shorts? How heavy of jackets? Will we need boots? I have surmised that we will need rain gear but everything else is unknown. Help and suggestions please!

Shorts - it depends. (We didn't on my last AK cruise, but I will probably pack a pair just in case.)

Swim Suits - we saw people using the hot tubs (We might pack them - undecided - We aren't swimmers or hot-tubbers)

Layers - with the base being made of a wicking layer - if your cotton tee gets wet (sweat or rain) and it is cold (chilly or windy) then you won't be comfortable because the cotton will stay wet.

I'm brining my "winter coat" which is a 3 in 1 by North Face that includes a rain jacket & down alternative thermoball jacket on my next cruise.

Bring winter hat, scarf & gloves.

(For my next AK cruise, I am still toying with bringing a sweatshirt/ heavy sweater or not, but I am also trying to minimalize my packing in general.)

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I brought cargo pants on our trip. Glad we did no extra packing and we did have days that we zipped the pant portion off into shorts. We went at the end of July beginning of August. We may go back next year and as far as shoes go on the land portion I'm bring trail runners. As others have said layering is key.

In May I wore shorts every "At Sea" day (we had two plus Glacier Bay) without a problem. I wore them in Ketchikan while we went ziplining too. I'm hot natured and rarely wear long pants if I don't have too - luckily I took a pair with me to Sweden in November...I wore them and got lots of stares. Ha Ha If you regularly wear shorts take some to Alaska. We did take a couple umbrellas (that fold up really small) plus a rain jacket each - used the umbrellas a little bit in Juneau. Otherwise I wore a medium weight fleece zip up jacket with a hood - no problems.