St Petersburg visit: bewildered. Advice from those who have been there, please.

Canuker

Thank you, Canuker.

i'm glad I was able to help.

Enjoy your cruise.

Can I ask you what you are planning to do in the evening> Opera or ballet? A museum visit? I’m asking because what I would like to do is just a walk in the city and a casual restaurant for dinner. That’s not what tour operators offer…

We did a casual walk of the city in the evening with TJ Travel. That included stepping into some shops. We went to a restaurant but not for dinner. We did a Vodka tasting. We didn't ask to do a dinner so I don't know if that would have been an option.

We did a casual walk of the city in the evening with TJ Travel. That included stepping into some shops. We went to a restaurant but not for dinner. We did a Vodka tasting. We didn't ask to do a dinner so I don't know if that would have been an option.

Was that a private tour? If not, how many others were in your group?

Was that a private tour? If not, how many others were in your group?

During the first day of our tour they asked if anyone was interested in an evening tour. I believe it was a $50 add on. About six or eight of us took it. Not everyone. We went back to the ship and had dinner and they picked us up I think around 8. I think they offer it that way because after a full day of touring some can handle more activity and others can not.

I am sure most of the private tour companies will arrange evening tours.

Some of the private companies can be very flexible. We wanted to stop at the Synagogue but not all did so TJ Travel managed to arrange it for those who did and took the rest to something else.

Edited by Charles4515

Charles, We've booked a private tour for the evening with SPB, which seems to cover the same sort of things. We just thought it would be a welcome break from all the culture. Can I ask if you needed local currency or if it was possible to use a credit card in shops, cafes etc

Charles, We've booked a private tour for the evening with SPB, which seems to cover the same sort of things. We just thought it would be a welcome break from all the culture. Can I ask if you needed local currency or if it was possible to use a credit card in shops, cafes etc

We didn't need local currency. Used credit cards for purchases. You could purchase stuff like nesting dolls from street vendors. Those were all willing to take dollars or euros but I ended up buying in shops. We did go down to the Subway. The guide bought us some tokens.

Also the ship I was on Celebrity Constellation had a big blowout sail after St. Petersburg and they had all the nesting dolls and other typical stuff for less than in St. Petersburg. They also sold them in shops in Tallinn, made in Russia for less than in St. Petersburg.

I think the evening tour is well worth it because the day tours are as you say all cultural. The evening tour gave us some feel for Russia.