Gluten Free On Breakaway

Lauralee1980

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning a cruise for our anniversary for this June on the Breakaway. What's holding us back is that my husband was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and we are uncertain how NCL deals with food sensitivities or allergies. We've sailed on many different lines previously, but never where we needed gluten free options. I was hoping that someone on here could share their experiences with this. I was also hoping for some guidance on what next steps I should take once I do book the cruise. I know I should inform the rep of my husband having celiac, but does anyone know if anything else is needed to be done? I am also concerned because on the Breakaway we won't be eating our meals in one dedicated dining room. We still would like to have the freedom to eat at the specialty restaurants and buffet, if possible. Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

Contact the special needs desk before your cruise, a message will be waiting for you when you get to your cabin. You will be able to meet with someone every night to preplan dinners if you wish, or you can just be told what is gluten free on every menu. You will be shown what is safe in the buffet, and there are a lot of gluten free items onboard (pasta, pizza, bread, muffins,cookies...). Specialty restaurants will let you know what is gluten free (the cheddar bread in moderno is gluten free.

Dd14 is going on her 3rd NCL cruise, was diagnosed at age 7.

I developed a gluten intolerance a few years ago and was also concerned how it would affect our annual cruise. In fact, our first cruise since my becoming GF was the Getaway, and I'm happy to tell you that your husband will not have a problem.

Here's what you do: Day one go to the main dining room and let whoever is at the desk know about your food issues. they will mark your husband's name on the system as having a food allergy. If you are dining in the MDR, after your evening meal go to the desk and tell them you'd like to order tomorrow's meal. Someone will come with the menu, talk to you and take your order for the following day. Your wait person will also help you out if you are concerned about dressings or sauces.

If you are eating at a specialty restaurant, go the night before and speak to the maitre 'd. You will again order your meal for the following night with him or her.

At the buffet, they will also make special food to accommodate your needs. Pizza, toast, sandwiches, etc. Everything is kept separate. Just tell them, they are always very helpful.

Also, just FYI, I had a bad reaction (as in gluten reaction) to the nacho chips on the Getaway. I couldn't figure out what was bothering me, but when I stopped eating the chips, I was fine. Perhaps they are stored or shipped with wheat, but anyway, your husband may want to avoid to be "better safe than sorry."

I know the previous poster told you to contact the access desk, but I don't even bother to do that anymore as everything can be taken care of onboard.

Last but not least -- relax and enjoy the cruise. They are used to dealing with a variety of food issues and are well-versed in what needs to be done!

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning a cruise for our anniversary for this June on the Breakaway. What's holding us back is that my husband was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and we are uncertain how NCL deals with food sensitivities or allergies. We've sailed on many different lines previously, but never where we needed gluten free options. I was hoping that someone on here could share their experiences with this. I was also hoping for some guidance on what next steps I should take once I do book the cruise. I know I should inform the rep of my husband having celiac, but does anyone know if anything else is needed to be done? I am also concerned because on the Breakaway we won't be eating our meals in one dedicated dining room. We still would like to have the freedom to eat at the specialty restaurants and buffet, if possible. Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

I am Gluten Free and booked the 1/29/17 cruise nearly a year earlier .Although my TA advised that I am Gluten Free nobody on the ship was aware of it .I had to order the night before .The first week was fine but after 7 days they ran out of Gluten free bread and had a strange bread that literally crumbled in my hands.

There were usually 1 to 2 apps and entrees a day in the MDR's and for dessert either sherbert or lemon sorbet.

I went to 6 Specialty restaurants and found a maximum of one entree.

We were on the Jade the end of January and two of us were gluten free. The staff was wonderful. We pre-ordered each night and always had many choices of appetizers, entrees and desserts. Chicken, steak, fish, pastas. There are some things that are already gluten free, others they will make gluten free for you. Our waiter was very helpful but if yours isn't go to the maitre d'.

For breakfast and lunch, you just have to ask. Many things are obvious like eggs. Others they can alter to be gluten free, like eggs Benedict. I know they have gluten free bread, English muffins, waffles, bagels and blueberry muffins. There may be other things also, these are just what I know for sure.

One reason for informing them ahead of time is so that they are well stocked with gluten free items.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've sailed many times on NCL and had good experiences. I have a wheat allergy and eat gluten free. They have a special allergen-safe galley where the GF stuff is prepared, so there's no cross-contamination. He will need to order his meals the day before, but that's a minor inconvenience to know you'll be safe. Your husband should be fine even in the buffet if he notifies the crew members. All he has to do is ask someone for gluten-free versions of things, or ask if something is gluten-free, and they should be able to get it or tell him what's safe. Do that a couple times, and you'll figure out what he can grab without asking. The MDR will definitely be the easiest route though. The maitre 'd's are phenomenal, and you'll feel well-cared for.

The flourless chocolate cake is a great dessert, and ice cream/sorbet is always available. The cheese bread in Moderno is awesome. (And you can make that at home really easily! Chebe brand bread mix is the same thing, or search for Brazilian cheese bread recipes online.) They carry the standard waffles/pancakes/breads as regular grocery stores.

And remember, wine is always gluten-free, as are ciders, tequila, and rum. Careful with vodka though, not all brands are safe. He'll still get plenty of use of the UBP!

Also, just FYI, I had a bad reaction (as in gluten reaction) to the nacho chips on the Getaway. I couldn't figure out what was bothering me, but when I stopped eating the chips, I was fine. Perhaps they are stored or shipped with wheat, but anyway, your husband may want to avoid to be "better safe than sorry."

The chips are corn but fried with non-gluten-free items. I found out the hard way too XD

I cannot drink alcohol or eat chocolate .There are very few GF options for me on NCL.

Steak, chicken, fish, vegetables, potatoes, soups, salads, eggs, waffles, muffins, bagels, pasta.

Maybe it's just a difference in perception but both my friend and I always had plenty of options.

We were on the Jade the end of January and two of us were gluten free. The staff was wonderful. We pre-ordered each night and always had many choices of appetizers, entrees and desserts. Chicken, steak, fish, pastas. There are some things that are already gluten free, others they will make gluten free for you. Our waiter was very helpful but if yours isn't go to the maitre d'.

For breakfast and lunch, you just have to ask. Many things are obvious like eggs. Others they can alter to be gluten free, like eggs Benedict. I know they have gluten free bread, English muffins, waffles, bagels and blueberry muffins. There may be other things also, these are just what I know for sure.

One reason for informing them ahead of time is so that they are well stocked with gluten free items.

Thanks for these items. I have been searching. Just learning how to handle this gluten stuff. How about hamburger and hot dog rolls?

I do not eat steak,fish or chicken

Oh, that makes much more sense.

Your complaint isn't that they didn't offer many gluten free choices but instead that they didn't offer many vegetarian gluten free options.

That is a very different issues and your comments could be misunderstood by those strictly looking for information about being gluten free on NCL ships.

I could see where being both vegetarian and gluten free would limit your options. Kind of tough to go to a steakhouse and expect many vegetarian options.

I am not a Vegetarian

The habachi restaurant will make you any combo in the kitchen, my dd had duck at Le bistro, there were several items at moderno that were safe (plus the salad bar and cheesy bread). At the specialty restaurants, they weren't going to whip up whatever you wanted, like the MDR's, but there were many options, especially if you were okay with modifications with sauces and seasonings.