Manhatten cruise terminal new cruiser

Newatcruising4817

My family and I are taking our first cruise together on Norwegian breakaway on Sunday march 26th. I have some questions! First off, we have two options for our return home. Either a 1130a or 1p peter pan bus from new York bus terminal. We would prefer the 1130 to make it home earlier but would disembarkment be cutting it close? I don't want to miss the bus, and if it would cut it close we will schedule the 1p bus. Also, when getting off the boat in the Manhatten cruise terminal how easy is it to catch a cab? Are we able to walk out and catch a cab or should I schedule some sort of pick up service? I am also open for any other helpful tips to make this a great first experience! Also, we are cruising with a 5 year old:):):)

If you do early self disembark, you should be okay with the 11:30am bus. Port Authority is a 10-15 minute walk from the port itself on 8th Avenue, so you wouldn't even need to take a cab if you didn't want to. Taxi stand is right outside the port as well, expect to wait on a line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by cruisebear84

We have disembarked in NYC several times - you should be able to take the 11:30 am bus.

When you exit (on road level) you cross the 12th Ave all the way to the other side. There is a yellow taxi rank there (on 12th Ave, at corner with W 48th St) - queue up and get the cab. We did that every time.

Our BA cruise is on 19th March which means we'll be disembarking as you embark.

ENJOY!

My family and I are taking our first cruise together on Norwegian breakaway on Sunday march 26th. I have some questions! First off, we have two options for our return home. Either a 1130a or 1p peter pan bus from new York bus terminal. We would prefer the 1130 to make it home earlier but would disembarkment be cutting it close? I don't want to miss the bus, and if it would cut it close we will schedule the 1p bus. Also, when getting off the boat in the Manhatten cruise terminal how easy is it to catch a cab? Are we able to walk out and catch a cab or should I schedule some sort of pick up service? I am also open for any other helpful tips to make this a great first experience! Also, we are cruising with a 5 year old:):):)

Another thing to consider, is to drive your own car and park in NYC for the week. To park at the cruise terminal, it will cost $40.00 per day. Or go to Park Jockey for lower daily fees starting about $20.00 per day. I booked a parking space at the Silver Towers garage which is on West 42nd Street. It is adjacent to the exit of the Lincoln tunnel. I plan to park the car, unload my luggage, and then get a cab to the terminal. I'll do the opposite on my return.

Another option is to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield, NJ. They have Sleep, Park, and Go package where you pay for 1 night lodging, park your car for a week, and they shuttle you to and from the terminal.

Another thing to consider, is to drive your own car and park in NYC for the week. To park at the cruise terminal, it will cost $40.00 per day. Or go to Park Jockey for lower daily fees starting about $20.00 per day. I booked a parking space at the Silver Towers garage which is on West 42nd Street. It is adjacent to the exit of the Lincoln tunnel. I plan to park the car, unload my luggage, and then get a cab to the terminal. I'll do the opposite on my return.

Another option is to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield, NJ. They have Sleep, Park, and Go package where you pay for 1 night lodging, park your car for a week, and they shuttle you to and from the terminal.

About the Hilton Garden Inn - have you stayed there for your cruise? It says they shuttle you to the cruise terminal - they don't say they pick you up after the cruise.

This is the info from their website:

The Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park is just 12 miles from the Manhattan Cruise Port. We conveniently offer complimentary on-site parking for your vehicle for the duration of your cruise and arrange for transportation to the cruise port with the price of your room. Rate is based on number of people per room due to the transportation cost. A breakfast buffet with made to order eggs and omelettes is also included for your party of up to four people.

About the Hilton Garden Inn - have you stayed there for your cruise? It says they shuttle you to the cruise terminal - they don't say they pick you up after the cruise.

This is the info from their website:

The Hilton Garden Inn Ridgefield Park is just 12 miles from the Manhattan Cruise Port. We conveniently offer complimentary on-site parking for your vehicle for the duration of your cruise and arrange for transportation to the cruise port with the price of your room. Rate is based on number of people per room due to the transportation cost. A breakfast buffet with made to order eggs and omelettes is also included for your party of up to four people.

I have not stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. I found out about them on a thread that I started ALTERNATIVE PARKING AT MANHATTAN TERMINAL, so I suggest calling the Hilton to clarify.

For those asking about the Hilton Garden Inn transportation:

We booked this package for our cruise last October, and yes it included transportation both to and from the Manhattan cruise terminal. They ask you at check in what time you want to be picked up the next morning and arrange for a car to take you to the cruise terminal. They will give you a voucher to pay for the car service back to the hotel, as well as the number of the car service so you can arrange the pick up upon disembarkation.

For those asking about the Hilton Garden Inn transportation:

We booked this package for our cruise last October, and yes it included transportation both to and from the Manhattan cruise terminal. They ask you at check in what time you want to be picked up the next morning and arrange for a car to take you to the cruise terminal. They will give you a voucher to pay for the car service back to the hotel, as well as the number of the car service so you can arrange the pick up upon disembarkation.

Hi Pens fan, If you don't mind I have a question. Was a tip for the driver included? If not how much is a normal amount to tip?

Hi Pens fan, If you don't mind I have a question. Was a tip for the driver included? If not how much is a normal amount to tip?

No, the tip was not included. My husband tipped both drivers but I have no clue how much, and he's not home right now to ask. When I researched this trip, I remember seeing estimates of the cost for a cab/car service from that area to the pier being around $70-$80. That could be a starting point using 15-20% as a tip amount.