Island specific alcohol to purchase

hrmkr

We are cruising on the Fascination this Sunday.

I was hoping people can tell me some not so ordinary alcohols to look for on the different islands. I am trying to find stuff that we cannot purchase in the US and can only be found on the particular island.

St. Thomas- Not sure if there is any special alcohols since it is a US Territory.

Barbados-??

St. Lucia-??

St. Kitts-??

St. Maarten- I already know about Guavaberry.

I am also going to post this on the specific islands under "port of calls". I wanted it to also be here since this part of CruiseCritic gets much more traffic. Please do not move it.

Thank you,

Howard

We are cruising on the Fascination this Sunday.

I was hoping people can tell me some not so ordinary alcohols to look for on the different islands. I am trying to find stuff that we cannot purchase in the US and can only be found on the particular island.

St. Thomas- Not sure if there is any special alcohols since it is a US Territory.

Barbados-??

St. Lucia-??

St. Kitts-??

St. Maarten- I already know about Guavaberry.

I am also going to post this on the specific islands under "port of calls". I wanted it to also be here since this part of CruiseCritic gets much more traffic. Please do not move it.

Thank you,

Howard

One thing I found on St. Lucia that I haven't found anywhere else is a peanut rum cream. If you're a fan of peanuts/peanut butter, then this is for you...it's essentially liquid alcoholic peanut butter. I've heard rumors that you can find it other places, including State side, but I have never found it anywhere.

I also bought Cacao Creole here as well, which was good, but not as good as the peanut rum cream.

One thing I found on St. Lucia that I haven't found anywhere else is a peanut rum cream. If you're a fan of peanuts/peanut butter, then this is for you...it's essentially liquid alcoholic peanut butter. I've heard rumors that you can find it other places, including State side, but I have never found it anywhere.

I also bought Cacao Creole here as well, which was good, but not as good as the peanut rum cream.

Was the peanut rum creme called Nutz and Rum? If it is the same, someone already told me about it on the St. Lucia port page.

What did the Cacao Creole taste like? I am guessing it has a chocolate and something else taste? Was that also in St. Lucia?

Thanks for the info.

Hi there

I don't think there is anything that you can't buy in North America, U.S. or Canada.

I did find a liqueur that I enjoyed very much called Nassau Royale. I had thought that it was a Bahamian product, but I found that it was a Bicardi product produced in Puerto Rico.

Of course there is Curacao liqueur, that is used in some drinks. I don't believe it is drunk alone because of it's bitter taste, but it is produced in Curacao.

not any of your stops, but may help in the future

You can't by Sheridan in the states very good liquor

Hi there

Sorry about that. You can get it in Canada.

It might be just a regional/local thing. I would expect you would have a much better selection in a large U.S. city vs. a large Canadian city. The problem in Canada is that the liquor stores are mostly government controlled (provincially), so selection doesn't vary much from one location to another within any province.

Forgot to mention to the OP that I saw bottles in St. Martin that I have never seen anywhere else. (including at home)

hope this helps

p.s.

I thought I saw Sheridan bottles at the duty free store between Michigan and Ontario at Port Huron. Are you sure they don't sell it in Michigan?

Edited by Nic6318

Was the peanut rum creme called Nutz and Rum? If it is the same, someone already told me about it on the St. Lucia port page.

What did the Cacao Creole taste like? I am guessing it has a chocolate and something else taste? Was that also in St. Lucia?

Thanks for the info.

Yes, now that you say the name, yes, that is the name of it. It's been a few years since I've had it I couldn't remember.

I don't remember much about the cacao creole other than it didn't last very long after bringing it home. It was definitely overshadowed by how good the Nutz and Rum was.

Bones rum in St. Thomas. Produced in the Virgin Islands, but not imported to the mainland that I'm aware of. VERY good rum! I got one bottle last time, but I'll definitely get more next time!

Ever have Ron Barcelo Imperial rum from Dominican Republic? The best I have ever had by far :)

Thinking about it makes me want to start drinking again ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Something to keep in mind is the liquor duty implications. Normally, you are allowed to bring back 1 liter of liquor per person duty-free at the end of your cruise. You could be subject to paying duty on any extra bottles. However, when visiting the US Virgin Islands, you can bring back five 1 liter bottles duty-free per person, provided that at least one of the items is produced in the USVI.

An advantage to visiting the US Virgin Islands is the extra liquor you're allowed to bring back duty-free. Normally, you are allowed only 1 liter of liquor duty-free per person. However you can bring back up to 5 bottles (1 liter each) duty-free if one of them comes from the USVI.