Aft suites on Star and Golden

puli

I am trying to choose between the Star and the Golden for an Alaska cruise in 2018 and and also between an aft penthouse suite or a vista suite on Caribe deck.

I remember a few years ago reading about the dreaded aft vent and the view blocking aft beams on some of the Princess ships. Does anyone know if either of these ships have those issues? I have searched through many,many post from 2008 to present and have read conflicting reports. If anyone has been in any of those suite could you respond! Thanks!

thanks everybody...since there has been no mention of the dreaded vent I am assuming that on the Star and the Golden there is no vent aft.. One other question if we decide to do a land tour first would you still advise an aft suite as opposed to the mid deck suites since sailing south you will have no morning sun to keep you warm outside?

I was in a Vista suite on the Star last month on a 15 night Hawaiian cruise. The layout of the cabin is poor and the closet is really difficult to use because the door is blocking access. There was a fuel smell and a fine dust from I assume exhaust which kept me inside. I would prefer a mini suite to a vista suite. I do like the penthouse mid ship suites.

I was in a Vista suite on the Star last month on a 15 night Hawaiian cruise. The layout of the cabin is poor and the closet is really difficult to use because the door is blocking access. There was a fuel smell and a fine dust from I assume exhaust which kept me inside. I would prefer a mini suite to a vista suite. I do like the penthouse mid ship suites.
Everyone has a different experience but the fuel smell can be an issue from time to time on any aft cabin balcony. We did not have an issue in D739 on the Sapphire. Also the issue of the closet door is no different in a Vista suite or a midship Penthouse suite.

Vista suite closet:

IukKD2r7DmG4TUHp05acFY4ExX_UiiInsyPmRvIgIwmSTOLkyu6GGAkzS-kztab7zY_D2_sZqQzAAGtJpljSRyHLPg5GSJCD1YXcp1HpYK0b5LrPEc-tHFLr_4FgxCxpOZImJgFPFjqZeEbuIuTH5tEnjZUagcZUPJVszS73CsJCeT0W2cjENxC1ZlQ1plC5ia1_Zg0ly7-3VbpClgyUHZhIHqDykxzqZCBVJYYAyGROJWXmyFBwcbvXTdyN7NFzuaQFFgucky_H-hngKXT2fxrl46jsE5vJQg62pU2PxnN9TLwrn37xTL2LrAl2yhGjGmHq_isJqXea1xg_5qbDB3dgKwY5r-HyF_kNueZbLHr6RA8H8WOZWPEIQ-V62cYOOm3MfrP-PBvL_CViEh2tDMSFAFaraRwWAMPqOGs1U47viCGKOa59OYdV59j4NRorb8inkwFvrMXxV8kNJlzZIZYGbmKdNyv_gnkqrzfTsxfwpDtrwpUkSQfeNWg_FzwcLxmy-ZAevMDzhTlDRZPpH2D6L3pSMi4rcd7z6agHD0hUX4aSZuj9fJIreelNPmyBfaQmkqR4Nhjp0WdJAiuJREu4pA-Qc5hr0Ye6hQGkAdmkiAH3axgD=w672-h895-no

Penthouse suite closet:

iPzaOqwqoJaJYN57ZikdvPH_FlogFqMvXO3eunWp9_e256Cw0rNMqBUeRf8IOHvy1M8mkckilPjG_juD_D2WtaUkxdtvvjrFhGWxUYB5XNWvyw_sxkgU3TZRurGOW4JvH86NCwsttbFLAmREgaSnxI_KT_u75lx2JurTe60O0s--OfEKk_nhSZt776wxODuKPYJmtvbheoTRbDYLoMKrLzz-VJ6-bSxlUZiNi8eCBDIzLuIeolx_77L6mOxD5kZ-CeCYkbWSuwWqxTj75Z_2PwGiRMeWWixDo2Ma18arWqvOHnkm-81zdJNvVFsSIRPOICeyHWlDw1KUzvELwEC5o34yfQdnqIl_RgXDZcUN80oFtn04s-M80meuglG5tyWt2QotmbjPDWqVLFm89HUAT7TAPxopMiIuhLtbsf49OGYnUTyjapP3g7xUVs29ly5FYyb-BZwa5ZXqV6OXk2XAiQR_Ju9IM18dzKrI_Dm251SI8CRAUUHQL2zHOYYw0zmuDLpWdrBnXlffKin4ymbq6IWlCihXjvuZSbxTDPMtVqb8IONS0fr2vvfwMKxcIxzyU3nmcdm-qOvMRYeKdaqUEXOIU3W-B9KditZPu5mvL9k0iCGvNrUg=w672-h895-no

We like the PH Suites midship on the Caribe deck, less motion and a huge 9 x 17 ft balcony.

was this on the Star, Golden or perhaps the Coral?

might have to re-think as we have spent 10 days twice on board ships with that horrid fuel/??? smell if you have it your trip is ruined..

back to the drawing boards....this is what happens if you decide your cruising days are over and then you want one last cruise tour to Alaska!

was this on the Star, Golden or perhaps the Coral?

might have to re-think as we have spent 10 days twice on board ships with that horrid fuel/??? smell if you have it your trip is ruined..

back to the drawing boards....this is what happens if you decide your cruising days are over and then you want one last cruise tour to Alaska!

C415 on the Star to Mexico, C415 on the Grand for a CA Coastal, and C422 on the Grand to Hawaii. Like it so much that we have C414 on the Grand to Alaska in 2018. There are links to more pictures in my signature.

We have stayed in PS on the Caribbean Princess next to the "dreaded vent" and it was no issue at all. Sometimes a faint white noise sound but the wake sound was louder - and better.

We have also stayed in a VS on the Grand (same deck and c adjacent to the PS we stayed in on the CB) and the "dreaded beam" was also not an issue. Yes, we noticed it and sometimes had to walk around it but there are so many positives we didn't care about the one so-called negative. And, after all, while you get the beam you do so for a lower price than a PS so we considered the beam paid for our excursions.

Bottom line: if you have the budget a PS is better but if you want to save the difference or spend it elsewhere a VS is still a great choice.