Passports

TexAggie10

Food for thought: Beginning Jan 22, 2018 travelers from nine states will no longer be able to travel with only their driver's licenses. Residents of Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Minnesota, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington. This is due to the REAL ID Act of 2005.

On our last cruise out of New Orleans we did not have our passports and we had NO problems using certified BC. But be advised they also wanted a certified marriage license (which I happen to have). That was never told to us that we needed. It would of been a problem had I of not had it.

We are renewing our passports and will take them for our flight to Ft Lauderdale. I have never taken them in port. I will get it from the ship if I need it. We had friends rubbed a couple years ago in Jamaica. They took everything they had, even passports. So we no longer take them into port.

In Cozumel we had a cousin who got sick and ended up having to stay there. Anyone who stayed had to have their passports to get back. They were allowed to get stuff from their rooms. I will also say the travel insurance is a must for us. Granted you pay the hospital up front, you get it back later and they didn't have $332,000 laying around.

Here's a link to a website DHS has up regarding the REAL ID Act and the latest news on non-compliant states. https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-and-you-rumor-control

Here's a link to a website DHS has up regarding the REAL ID Act and the latest news on non-compliant states. https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-and-you-rumor-control

See post #50 above.

In all seriousness, however, REAL ID doesn't necessarily have a rosy future in California. Our NIMBYs argue that it will be yet another unnecessary tax burden not to mention roiling the "undocumented" immigrant arena.

After all, if push comes to shove (with the Feds) here in a state that represents the seventh largest economy in the world, do you honestly think the compliance extensions will ever stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

See post #50 above.

In all seriousness, however, REAL ID doesn't necessarily have a rosy future in California. Our NIMBYs argue that it will be yet another unnecessary tax burden not to mention roiling the "undocumented" immigrant arena.

After all, if push comes to shove (with the Feds) here in a state that represents the seventh largest economy in the world, do you honestly think the compliance extensions will ever stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If there were someone different at 1600 Penn Ave I might agree that compliance extensions might be non-stop but I think the current resident might take a different tack than previous residents have. Only time will tell.

According To The The U.S. Customs And Border Protection, You Must Bring A Passport And If You Are Traveling With A Child They Must Have A Valid Birth Certificate Or A Passport (ALL PASSPORTS MUST BE VALID) 100% Of The Time Its Required Due To The Ocean Being International Waters. To Get Off The Ship Just A Ship Card And To Return You Need The Government Passport Or Birth Certificate (Children). Hope That Solves Your Case.:)

-floridacruiser42

According To The The U.S. Customs And Border Protection, You Must Bring A Passport And If You Are Traveling With A Child They Must Have A Valid Birth Certificate Or A Passport (ALL PASSPORTS MUST BE VALID) 100% Of The Time Its Required Due To The Ocean Being International Waters. To Get Off The Ship Just A Ship Card And To Return You Need The Government Passport Or Birth Certificate (Children). Hope That Solves Your Case.:)

-floridacruiser42

Welcome to cruise critic!

You may want to familiarize yourself with the WHTI as it has a lot of variations on the type of ID that is acceptable on closed loop itineraries for US citizens, young or old.

How long ago did this take place? It's been years since you could drive into Mexico or Canada with just a drivers license because the US requires you to have a passport, passport card, EDL or other WHTI document. You shouldn't have been allowed to enter Mexico in the first place without the proper documentation to return to the US.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the post.

We live near border of Mexico and for the past several years have had to show passport/card to cross the border.

-floridacruiser42

.???? What are you talking about?? To get back on a ship you rarely must show a passport, even when one was needed for embarkation. Just ship card, and govt photo id

And for closed loop cruises a passport, for US citizens, is not needed at all, just govt id and official birth certificate.