Second thoughts on visiting Russia

BettyPC

Not a good time to visit Russia, however there is no turning back. USA places more sanctions on Russia. :eek:

I don't understand. New sanctions were recently imposed? When?

Why would sanctions negatively impact a visit to Russia? The previously imposed sanctions made the ruble fall in value against the USD/GPB/Euro. Everything in Russia is now less expensive to western visitors. Furthermore, I've been to Russia multiple times and have always felt perfectly safe (am visiting again this year). Unsure of why you state that this is "not a good time to visit Russia". Am I missing something?

Not a good time to visit Russia, however there is no turning back. USA places more sanctions on Russia. :eek:

Not very keen on using a credit card in Russia 😖

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Forums mobile app

Was in SPB 2 weeks ago on the Getaway Baltic cruise...used my credit and debit cards in multiple places with no issues. Value of dollar to ruble was great, people were friendly, TJ Travel driver and guides fabulous. We even did an evening tour, drinking vodka in a local bar, seeing the lights of the city come on. One of the last ones back on the ship around midnight. Felt perfectly safe the whole time and have these memories to last a lifetime.

We've had no new warnings from the Australian Government so it's not changed. Seems as safe as anywhere. It's more about politics than the reality.

We were here in 2014. At that time, Russia was invading Ukraine so people thought it was a bad time to visit Russia. We used SPB tours and they were excellent!! We had no issues anywhere and we were treated respectfully everywhere we went. We used credit cards to buy souvenirs but also had rubles. The stores we went to accepted Euros and USD. I would think most Russians are just trying to live their lives. One guy in a tour group was trying to get the tour guide to apologize for Ukraine but I thought that was unfair to her.

Sent from my iPad using Forums