Update needed for Anse-Mitant beach

quaker77

We will stop at Martinique in february and we're looking to take ferry to Anse-Mitant / Pointe du bout.

Some cruisers brought recent sad news about bad beach sand quality. Due to dogs using the beach to litter and causing us possible skin infections [emoji20]

So if someone has input it will be great

Thanx

I saw that place to but seems like a beach restaurant that gives access to the beach.

Some folks wrote a taxi fee of 35 $ just to go .....

Plus the lunch there.

If Anse is not good to go I will look for this place.

But iť s sad Anse was cheapier for the day.

We were in port from 8-4 on a Sunday last month and I went to the beach in Anse Mitan. Ferries from FDF to Anse Mitan and back was every hour on a Sunday. During the week the times were different.

I left DH on the ship and took the 8:30 ferry over to Anse Mitan and I was so happy I went there instead of Point Du Bout, which I went last year twice. I took a picture *on the ferry* of the schedule coming back to Fort De France, it was very helpful. The ferry ride over to Anse Mitan is 20 mins. It drops you off right at dock on the beach, weather was great, didn't need to wear water shoes and sand was clean. I didn't see any stray dogs on the beach or when I went for a walk quite a few blocks away from the beach and up a hill. This beach is much, much bigger than the beach at Pointe Du Bout and there were plenty of loungers to rent, but no umbrellas. There was some shade for those that needed it. There was also a restaurant on the beach and a concession stand very nearby that opened at 11 am which I heard the food was good from other beachgoers and they had 2 very clean restrooms.

I took a walk to explore a few blocks away from the beach, there were quite a few places to eat and found a French Patisserie up the hill that had a limited selection of sandwiches, they mostly sold pastries. Purchased a tuna fish sandwich on a baguette for $5, it was huge, don't know if it was the bread that was so good or I was just hungry, it was delicious . I would not hesitate to back to Anse Mitan, again and again.

Took the 2 pm ferry back from Anse Mitan to Fort De France, I was in line on the dock at 1:50. Some people were left behind as they waited until the last minute to line up to catch the ferry. They were able to catch the 3 pm ferry back. The ferry to Anse Mitan is much smaller than the one that goes to Pointe De Bout. Both ferries take US$, $7 pp round trip, save your ticket for the return trip.

Last year I took the 8:45 ferry to Pointe du Bout back in March and April and went to the beach attached to Hotel Bakoua. The beach was small, getting crowded as the morning went by, needed to wear water shoes here. Arrived a little after 9 am, had no problems renting a chair, umbrellas were for hotel guests only. Many others arrived a few hours later and some were not able to rent beach chairs, they were all taken. Ferries take US$, $7 pp round trip, save your ticket for the return trip. I took a picture of the ferry schedule on board the ferry which was helpful. There was also a visitor center, which I stopped at a few hundred feet from the ferry dropoff in Pointe De Bout.

That day I had lunch at a sandwich shop a block or two away from the beach called Vit & Frais, delicious sandwiches under $10 US$ and they take US$.

www.martiniqueactive.com/poi/vit-et-frais/

Another time we had pizza at Restaurant La Marine right at the Marina which was also very good.

www.restaurantlamarine.fr/

I found the people to be quite friendly on this island and a simple smile and a Bonjour or Merci goes a long way on this island.

Edit---Don't know why the links don't work :(

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any rough estimates on food costs? For sandwiches or do they have hamburgers/fries? The pizza mentioned?

What about drinks like soda?

When I went to Anse Mitan, I don't recall the concession stand having hamburgers, they may have, I did not see pizza on their menu. I had a Tuna Fish sandwich on a big baguette which could have been shared for two, cost was about $6-$7 and it was delicious. I purchased a liter of water for $4, soda about $3, US$ was used with no problem. I found the concession stand prices very reasonable. There's also a restaurant right across from the concession stand.

There was a rest room right near the concession stand and found it extremely clean and fairly new.

The loungers on the beach were $10 each.

There was also a food stand or two further down on this beach, but can not comment on their food.

I would defiantly go back to this beach if it was on any of our future itineraries and sadly, it is not.

I love all your reviews and they have helped me many times. I know your little one likes snorkeling but the snorkeling at Anse Mitan was not that good at all, found the water to be calm on this beach.