Different Names on Photo ID and Birth Certificate

TucsonToo

Let's see...my birth certificate: name one, my naturalization papers: name two, marriage one: name three, marriage two: name four, legal name change back to an earlier surname...over the course of 70 years. I'm sure I have all the paperwork delineating each of these changes, NOT.

If you are traveling from the US in a closed loop cruise (returning to a US port) regulations say you need a US birth certificate and a current picture ID (driver's license) matching your "booking" name. Nothing else is required. If you were not born in the US you need a passport or naturalization papers.

You can't get a driver's license (anywhere in the US) unless you have previously "proven" name changes.

The only time a marriage certificate is required is when you book in your (probably fairly new) married name and you haven't, yet, updated your driver's license.

All the "false" information on this board is laughable.

Ignorance is bliss or so they say.....

I was asked a few questions when we boarded our cruise in Charleston, SC in October. My birth certificate has my maiden name on it. My passport renewal did not come in in time for the cruise. My drivers license obviously has my married name on it. They asked me at the check in counter for my marriage license (Seriously?). I've been married 15 years - I have NO IDEA where my marriage license is.

It was not a deal breaker ... they just made a notation, took my picture and handed us our S&S cards - noting that next time I should have my marriage license. They haven't asked for it in any other ports, before or since.

so if my name is different .... they may make me stay on the ship and wont let me leave it.... :confused: hmmmmmm ... I like that idea!!! :D;)

Sadly, they would make you spend time in the back room where the rubber hoses, waterboards, and latex gloves are kept.:eek:

Simply put does your friend or relative want to risk being denied boarding? This is definitely one of those situations where it is better to have and not need it, than not have then find out it's required. And please keep in mind any travel insurance is null & void if a tourist does not present the paperwork the airline, resort, attraction, or cruise line requires for their booking, even if it is presented as a strong recommendation in their FAQs.

In this case you mention the divorce was over 20 years ago, at the very least the person should have access to the divorce decree which will usually have the maiden name included. If for nothing more to prove they are no longer married and financially tied to the ex. It could read something like "Jane Smith nee: Jones has resolved to terminate their legal marriage to John Smith..." . As you can see Jane Smith who decide for whatever reason to keep the marriage name instead of reverting to the birth name of Jones has the linkage the cruise line and government might require.

Once the Real ID act comes into full force your friend will need to find that marriage license and divorce decree to have her state issued photo ID renewed.

In Texas,our driver's license uses the maiden name as the middle name - is that not true of other states?

I was born in TX and haven't lived a day out of it in my 37 yrs of life, never has my DL had my maiden name as my middle name post marriage, only my actual middle name. It may be an option, but it's not the standard.

Let's see...my birth certificate: name one, my naturalization papers: name two, marriage one: name three, marriage two: name four, legal name change back to an earlier surname...over the course of 70 years. I'm sure I have all the paperwork delineating each of these changes, NOT.

If you are traveling from the US in a closed loop cruise (returning to a US port) regulations say you need a US birth certificate and a current picture ID (driver's license) matching your "booking" name. Nothing else is required. If you were not born in the US you need a passport or naturalization papers.

You can't get a driver's license (anywhere in the US) unless you have previously "proven" name changes.

The only time a marriage certificate is required is when you book in your (probably fairly new) married name and you haven't, yet, updated your driver's license.

All the "false" information on this board is laughable.

Hopefully, you will never move to Florida or another state where you will be required to provide a document trail from birth certificate name to the current name for a driver's license or ID card. Even those of us with valid licenses had to provide the documentation at renewal time.

Hopefully, you will never move to Florida or another state where you will be required to provide a document trail from birth certificate name to the current name for a driver's license or ID card. Even those of us with valid licenses had to provide the documentation at renewal time.

Correct. It will be required at renewal for any state that is meeting the Secure ID standards.

As long as you notify and update your Social Security Information anytime there is a name change you are golden. If you forget that step you may end up spending a lot of time standing in a lot of lines when (as a woman) you try to renew anything else. And as long as you have an old driver's license with a picture ID you don't need a sack of documentation to renew....loose your license and it's another story.

Carnival says on their ticket contract that all you need is a valid picture ID (non expired, etc. etc.) that matches your booking name and a valid birth (US) certificate. If they ask for anything else they are voiding their own contract and I don't think that is going to happen.

People who post "sob stories" are not relaying all the facts and there will always be something that caused a hiccup. I know people don't choose to believe me, so good luck to all of you who are digging through the records bureau trying to get paper work you don't need.

As long as you notify and update your Social Security Information anytime there is a name change you are golden. If you forget that step you may end up spending a lot of time standing in a lot of lines when (as a woman) you try to renew anything else. And as long as you have an old driver's license with a picture ID you don't need a sack of documentation to renew....loose your license and it's another story.

Carnival says on their ticket contract that all you need is a valid picture ID (non expired, etc. etc.) that matches your booking name and a valid birth (US) certificate. If they ask for anything else they are voiding their own contract and I don't think that is going to happen.

People who post "sob stories" are not relaying all the facts and there will always be something that caused a hiccup. I know people don't choose to believe me, so good luck to all of you who are digging through the records bureau trying to get paper work you don't need.

No answer as to why CBP, not Carnival, states you need the bridging document?

Carnival also says in their ticket contract:

"It is the Guest’s sole responsibility to ensure his/her legal eligibility to travel and to bring and have available at all times all required travel documents. Guests are advised to check with their travel agent and with the appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents and travel eligibility requirements for their particular cruise."

So, that sounds to me like Carnival's "get out of jail free" regardless of what they state is a required travel document.