Fans/Extention Cords

DisneyPrincess74

Hello! First time to post but not my first cruise :)

We are traveling on the Norwegian Epic in May for a Mediterranean Cruise out of Barcelona. Does NCL allow small fans/ extension cords in the cabin? We don't want to drag it all the way to Barcelona then have it confiscated.

We cruised on Disney Cruise Line in December and they did confiscate our little fan but not the extension cord so just want to make sure. Thanks!

Hello! First time to post but not my first cruise :)

We are traveling on the Norwegian Epic in May for a Mediterranean Cruise out of Barcelona. Does NCL allow small fans/ extension cords in the cabin? We don't want to drag it all the way to Barcelona then have it confiscated.

We cruised on Disney Cruise Line in December and they did confiscate our little fan but not the extension cord so just want to make sure. Thanks!

Wow...why did they take your little fan? I sleep with a fan every night and take it with me everywhere. ugh! Can't sleep without it. I hope NCL does not do this!

They said no electrical items at all and were very strict! I asked them if maybe the fan was too big and they said no, no fans nothing electrical. So if you ever cruise on Disney, be aware!

We are the same way, even if the room is cool we like the sound of the fan and the air circulating. I didn't see anything on NCL's website about it.

They said no electrical items at all and were very strict! I asked them if maybe the fan was too big and they said no, no fans nothing electrical. So if you ever cruise on Disney, be aware!

We are the same way, even if the room is cool we like the sound of the fan and the air circulating. I didn't see anything on NCL's website about it.

Ugh...no electrical items? So does that mean one cannot take a "hot iron or hot hair rollers"? Wonder if this is about safety or they just don't want you to use their electricity. I mean a fan is not a safety hazard.

You know now that I think of it- I did take my flat iron and they did not confiscate it. But they did my little fan. I think you are on to something- they just don't want us to use their electricity!! We didn't even know until that first evening we were getting ready for bed and when we opened our suitcase and a note was inside. You would think the flat iron would be more dangerous! They even left my extension cord and their website does specifically say "No extension cords" so I knew I was taking the chance it would get confiscated!

When I questioned it and I was just told "No fans of any size!". I checked it in with my luggage...I wonder if they would have said something if I carried it on.:confused:

This happened on the Disney Wonder out of Galveston on Dec 9th.

we always travel on Disney [over 20 cruises] with my CPAP & Holmes Lil Blizzard 8" fan/ not to mention the electronic we have to charge/ I talked to NCL rep and was told not to forget my extension cord due to the fact the the outlet is on the other side of the cabin as the bed/ you should not have any problems.

Robin & Angel "D"

I have brought my Fan, power strip and clock on all of my cruises with differnt lines. (Not Disney though) no one ever said a word.

That being said my son brought on some fishing gear and tackle and they rummaged through all or our luggage last year that was kind of crappy.

Great thank you for all of your help! I think we'll just take it. We've been on Carnival & Princess with that little fan with no issues so we were so surprised when they took it on that Disney trip. Then when we got it back they had wrapped up the cord in masking tape and it took forever to get all that stuff off, ha!

• 7 months later...

This is an older thread but a recent experience for future reference:

Pearl out of Seattle, Sept 2017. About an hour after we set sail from Seattle I had a voicemail from the front desk instructing me to come down because there was an issue with my luggage. As I was standing in line an agent was asking people what they were there for and when I said for my luggage I was pulled out of line and taken to the security office. The front desk agent called Security and while we were waiting I asked what the problem was. It turns out it was for a plug-in desk fan and an extension cord (not a surge protector) that I've brought on a few NCL cruises before and never had a problem. Looking back on earlier posts in this thread I'm assuming my luggage was held because it was locked. The items were confiscated but returned the next day after a very nice front desk gentleman offered to speak with the electrician who approved the return of my items which, BTW, were not on the prohibited items list on NCL.com or in the edocs (front desk printed). The security officer said this was a change within the past few months. Not a good way to start a cruise. :mad:

Wow I always bring a small fan last few years Last few cruises were NCL, can't swear I brought on Disney.

I don't bring extension cord.... I put fan on chair, didn't bring cord, cabin so small it was fine. Lol Princess ship had a nice outlet right next to bed.

AC is never cool enough for me and I need moving air ,if fans were prohibited I would have to seriously reconsider my cruise line.

On carnival my steward brought me a huge industrial fan, which we still laugh about to this day. It was so loud we slept till 12 one day zoned into a coma lol

Kerri

Just thought I would throw this out there. They make a 4" all metal fan that has a usb plug. Works with all usb phone charger battery packs as well as usb converter wall plugs. If you happen to be on a ship that has the usb plugs built into the bedside light fixture (this may only be on the Escape at the moment), it eliminates the need for an extension cord (although I still bring one because, well, I'm female.......hair dryer, curling iron, flat iron, etc :D). The fan can be found at Bed, Bath and Beyond, Target has a version as well as Amazon of course.

One person did have his fan confiscated on Dawn this past Dec. At the Latitudes party, he asked why as he'd traveled about 25 cruises without an issue. He was told that the wiring had to be checked on AC devices but that it could be returned if it passed muster. OTOH, I had a hotpot that didn't get taken/discovered although I had expected just that. I know the rules and don't use it on the ships. I carry it for the pre/post cruise hotels that don't have something in the room with which to boil water so if taken by ship security, it's only a problem of retrieving it at the end of the trip. So, yes, it must relate to the individual screeners.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

On carnival my steward brought me a huge industrial fan, which we still laugh about to this day. It was so loud we slept till 12 one day zoned into a coma lolKerri
OMG! This is hilarious! I'm guessing a fan of that size would make me also slip into a coma and sleep the day away!!