ice cream machine

Maybe ice cream purists could argue that Ben and Jerry's is "real" ice cream while the self serve machines are frozen yougurt, thus the idea of paying extra for the B&J is not so much of an issue.

My husband surely prefers real ice cream, but he loved the convenience of the self serve machines and thought the frozen yogurt was plenty good enough. He also resents that cruise lines have begun an insidious process of nickle and diming passengers to death by adding in all kinds of extra pay items that used to be included in the fare.

Cruise lines are clever, though. They eliminate the cheaper (for them) self serve yogurt, but add on a high quality ice cream for which you must pay. And, oh by the way, they have been increasing their fares, as well.

Wonder what we get to pay for next. Oh, I know. Self assist debarkation will be "free", but assisted luggage handling will carry a per passenger extra charge. Just you wait.

To answer part of the original question, as posted here by many, the machine on the Promenade, next to Ben & Jerry's, was removed on all Voyager class ships, I believe sometime in late 2004.

We were on the Explorer in January 05 and they had both machines. We generally used the one in the Promenade near Ben & Jerry's, because this one was on our way back to our room.

Wonder what we get to pay for next. Oh, I know. Self assist debarkation will be "free", but assisted luggage handling will carry a per passenger extra charge. Just you wait.

Please don't give them any ideas.

To answer part of the original question, as posted here by many, the machine on the Promenade, next to Ben & Jerry's, was removed on all Voyager class ships, I believe sometime in late 2004.

I was on the Mariner the first week of October 2004 and they still had an ice cream machine on the promenade. Even if I have to walk all the way up to the pool deck to get ice cream out of a machine, I'll do it (that will offset some, but not all ;) , of the calories from the ice cream).

On our cruise, I never once saw anyone get Ben & Jerry's ice cream, so it would not surprise me that they (re)moved the ice cream machine from right next to the cafe on the promenade.

On our first cruise on Carnival my DH would detour often to the back of the ship to get an ice cream cone. Was mightily disappointed when NCL didn't have a machine available very often (I think they rolled it around only at certain times). Loved the free scooped ice cream on Celebrity (but not 24/7). And super glad to hear of soft serve machine on RCCL.

It's kind of amzing how a simple thing like free ice cream cones can keep so many people happy and returning. Cheap perks like that really pay off in repeat customers.

Someone prior posted that there was one on the Empress of the Seas. However I was on the Empress of the Seas in September and NO ice cream (or frozen yogurt) machine. Also, NO steam room, NO sauna, NO locker room with the gym.

I was on the Adventure about a month ago (first cruise) and I admit, I was very concerned and excited at the idea of an ice cream machine. AOS has 3 -- 2 inside the Windjammer and 1 out by the pool (outside from Portofino).

They were not 24/7 though -- they were covered in the AM, and late at night. (Too bad, because I probably would have had ice cream -- ok, frozen yogurt -- for breakfast too.)

I never let a lack of cones be a problem.... I simply took a fruit bowl... and once, I even added chocolate chip cookies... (of course, it was too big to be considered a "Chipwich" but I digress.)

Sandy

If confounded me that Princess did not have an ice cream machine on their ships. I don't think it costs that much to have and it certainly is fun.

When I was on the Star Princess, they claimed they didn't have an ice cream machine because of health issues. I didn't buy it then given every moderately priced buffet in the country has such a machine as do many of the other cruise lines.

Actually, I would buy the health issues. Have you ever seen a small child (who knows maybe some adults do this too) stick their hands up in there, lick their hands, and then do it again? Yuck! We actually saw this more than once. Plus, there was always a puddled, goopy mess all over the floor of the Promenade by the machine. Also, we saw people get a cone, sit down at the Cafe, eat a bit, and then leave the cone on the table to melt--how rude! Third reason is that during the parades, Captain's Welcome party, and so forth (especially formal night at the Captain's party) there were kids running around heedless of the fact that they were "decorating" some pax formal attire with melting frozen yogurt. (Didn't happen to us, and again for all I know there are adults who did this too. We only saw a few kids doing it--and no I am not bashing all kids as "ice cream bandits," just the ones who did it.)

beachchick

On Brilliance cruise (first two weeks of Oct.) there were two soft-serve machines in the Windjammer. They had chocolate, swirl, vanilla, and strawberry daily. They also had a "flavor of the day" special. I remember peach, coffee, blueberry cheesecake, and peanut butter.

Windjammer is not open 24/7. The machines were only available from around 10 AM until 9:30 PM. We usually ran up to get a cone when we returned from a shore excursion and needed a snack before our LATE dinner seating (9:00).

There wasn't a Ben & Jerry's on Brilliance. The only time "real" ice cream was available was in the dining room or occasionally they offered it as a snack on the pool deck.

Actually, I would buy the health issues. Have you ever seen a small child (who knows maybe some adults do this too) stick their hands up in there, lick their hands, and then do it again? Yuck! We actually saw this more than once. Plus, there was always a puddled, goopy mess all over the floor of the Promenade by the machine.

It could be a combination of health and not wanting to clean up after kids, but have you ever been to Chuck E. Cheese's or the local Chinese buffet? I've also seen people put their hands all over food at the Windjammer, so I don't see it as being that much different with some people handling the ice cream machine.

There is also enough other food on a cruise ship that is messy (pudding, pancakes and syrup, jell-o, bananas, etc.) that cleaning up after kids and ice cream would make that much of a difference.

In my opinion, "Scoops" seemed to be one more way Princess was getting me to pay for something.

Not to burst everyones bubble but i just got off of the Jewel last month, and they had the 2 machines as well. Am quite sure it is the same throughout RCI, but it is not ice cream, rather frozen yogurt. I don't think they would have every other ship ice cream and the Jewel frozen yogurt. :p

I was on the Adventure about a month ago (first cruise) and I admit, I was very concerned and excited at the idea of an ice cream machine. AOS has 3 -- 2 inside the Windjammer and 1 out by the pool (outside from Portofino).

They were not 24/7 though -- they were covered in the AM, and late at night. (Too bad, because I probably would have had ice cream -- ok, frozen yogurt -- for breakfast too.)

I never let a lack of cones be a problem.... I simply took a fruit bowl... and once, I even added chocolate chip cookies... (of course, it was too big to be considered a "Chipwich" but I digress.)

Sandy

Snoopy...I wish I had not read your post as I am now depressed. I will be on AOS next week. Are you saying the ice cream machine is no longer in the Promenade 24/7? That is horrible if true, I would grab a cone each night around 11 or 12 on my trips on AOS and Voyager previously. Actually one of my biggest complaints on Jewel this past April was that they only had the machines in the Windjammer and that I could not get my late night ice cream snack. :mad: This is disappointing and there will be a complaint filed by myself if there is no 24/7 ice cream when I get on the AOS. RCCL, you have been notified in advance, get her done.

I am about to take my first Royal Caribbean cruise in a couple of weeks and really looking forward to it but wanted to defend Princess in this post. I know I am on the RCCL board so some of you might not even care. The couple of Princess cruises I have been on, they did have free ice cream everyday from around 3:30pm-4:30pm. It was in the Horizon Court on the side that said closed. You kinda had to know about it. It was wonderful hand dipped ice cream with 4 different flavors everyday and sundae toppings. The ice cream was served but you could help yourself to the toppings. I never "paid" for ice cream but looked forward to the afternoon everyday. I am looking forward to the soft serve in the Windjammer but not if it is real messy.

Meredith

It could be a combination of health and not wanting to clean up after kids, but have you ever been to Chuck E. Cheese's or the local Chinese buffet? I've also seen people put their hands all over food at the Windjammer, so I don't see it as being that much different with some people handling the ice cream machine.

There is also enough other food on a cruise ship that is messy (pudding, pancakes and syrup, jell-o, bananas, etc.) that cleaning up after kids and ice cream would make that much of a difference.

In my opinion, "Scoops" seemed to be one more way Princess was getting me to pay for something.

Have you actually seen the mess around the frozen yogurt machines on an RCI Promenade? It's soooo much worse than some spilled syrup, sticky fingers, or banana peels--all of which are more likely to be found in a dining area than an open area like the Promenade. The entire floor around the area was goopy, sticky, and a walking hazard. It's apples and oranges (so to speak) between that and bananas, pudding, or jello. And really, how many people are running around the crowded Promenade on formal night brandishing pudding, pancakes and syrup, and such.

In answer to your questions, nope. Never been to Chuck E. Cheese or the local Chinese buffet. We have eaten at the Windjammer, and I do consider the "public" factor. It's a concern, but at least in Windjammer there are attendants. They would need an employee literally full-time to do nothing but clean up the frozen yogurt machine on the Promenade.

(Believe me, I'm no shill for B&J. I don't even like it, and the one small cone my DH got was over-priced to say the least.)

beachchick

So why not put an ice cream machine in the Windjammer where there are already attendants?

I don't care where the machine is, just that there is one. Every kid's pizza/video game/playland or Chinese buffet in town has an ice cream machine and they don't seem like they're that expensive to operate, so it boggles my mind that Princess got rid of their ice cream machines (apparently they used to have them on the ship but got rid of them, at least to a couple of the other passengers I talked to).

@Meredith71:

I enjoyed my last cruise on Princess; although they have some problems which are systemic, the Star Princess is a good ship with a wonderful crew, so I don't want people to think that I'm piliing on Princess.

However, with so many different mainstream cruise lines out there, each of them offering the same basic product with many of the same ameneties, the same destinations and the same level of service, it's the little things that are going to make up people's minds, especially for those with no loyalty to a certain brand.

However, with so many different mainstream cruise lines out there, each of them offering the same basic product with many of the same ameneties, the same destinations and the same level of service, it's the little things that are going to make up people's minds, especially for those with no loyalty to a certain brand.

I have to agree with you. I'm sure to many people this thread about ice cream seems rather trivial. But it actually gets mentioned frequently on these boards. Do the machines on RCI make or break a cruise? No, not really. But they are something that I do look forward to.

Little things do add up when making decisions. So far RCI has enough "little things" to keep me from trying Princess. And they do have some big things to... they are called Voyager class ships!:)

We were on the Explorer in January and there were 2 ice cream machines. My understanding is they are still there. I can't comment on the hours as I usually hit them during the afternoon hours. I will say however that it is the best soft serve I've had. It was more like ice milk, than ice cream...loved it:D

Thanks Phantom! Do you remember where the machines were located?

I was on the Mariner in July/August of this year, and there was only one ice cream/frozen yogurt machine (that I knew of). It was on the pool deck, and had chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, and I believe a swirl of some sort (which I think changed daily).

It wasn't open 24/7, however. It would be closed in the evenings, though I'm not sure at what time (as I would go by there late at night, and the gate would be pulled down over it and locked).

I think it's a great add on service, and it would be nice if they added a second machine on the pool deck, as the afternoon lines can get long.

Archived