those two dreadful four-letter words: Door Sign

What do you think of the proposed door sign in the first post?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the proposed door sign in the first post?

• Seeing that thing on your door would outright ruin my cruise.
    • I can probably manage to avert my eyes when I have to walk by.
    • Meh. Do what you like.
    • You know, that's really not so bad, as door signs go.
    • That's wonderful! Please put it up the first night so I can steal it right away.

I just use the CC door sign on every cruise (in a plastic sleeve and posted with blue painters masking tape). There used to be a link to it somewhere on these boards but haven't seen it in a while. Whatever, lets the other CC'ers know where I am.

We always get a cabin where we can see the door just as we exit the elevator and we always put a sign on our door with blue painters tape that comes off easy.

Attached is a photo of the sign we have been using lately and you would be amazed at the number of people who thank us for putting up the sign, saying it makes it much easier for them to find their cabin.

Excellent sign!

Sadly one way we almost always knew which way to turn out of the elevator on our deck on our last cruise was by the cabin where the people felt they needed to put their bag of laundry outside the cabin and in the hallway. :confused:

Excellent sign!

Sadly one way we almost always knew which way to turn out of the elevator on our deck on our last cruise was by the cabin where the people felt they needed to put their bag of laundry outside the cabin and in the hallway. :confused:

Gotta love those fine folks, along with the ones who insist on placing their used IRD service tray and contents on the floor in the corridor, forcing everyone and their brother to step around it

I know door signs are controversial. I personally find that many of the door signs I've seen photos of reflect a sense of taste and aesthetics that differs widely from my own, but I like the concept itself. Enough that I'm thinking of making a door sign for my upcoming (first ever) cruise. It will also be my 87-yo Mom's first ever cruise, and I'd like to do what I can to make it special. That and Mom does get tired sometimes, and a little extra help knowing which room is which might not hurt anything.

Unless it does. I don't want to outrage or offend my fellow cruisers (I've already altered my initial wardrobe plans to avoid jeans after 6 pm), so I'm soliciting opinions on what I hope is a reasonably tasteful door sign:

315b15a3-03e0-44a5-9220-c401f08d514d_zpsjv1j8gzu.png

I've attached a poll to this thread: please vote, or leave a comment, or both. Thanks.

(PS. The ship in a wheat field references an old family story: Mom grew up on a wheat farm in Kansas, and lived in many different places before our family moved to the agricultural area around Sacramento in the California Central Valley. One day we were driving somewhere amidst some huge fields of wheat. We came up over a rise, and there halfway to the horizon was a huge ocean-going cargo ship apparently just sitting in the middle of the wheat fields.

We were all surprised: the Port of Sacramento had only recently built canals large enough for such large vessels to come the 90 miles inland from San Francisco Bay. But Mom's basic sense of order was briefly affronted - wheat fields were just about part of her DNA, and her DNA knew that ocean-going ships do not belong in wheat fields. She got over it, of course, and we saw many more such vessels across wheat and tomato and sugar beets fields during the time we lived there.

But when I was thinking up how to do the door sign, I figured I'd put our cruise ship in a wheat field for her.)

I'm not crazy about door signs but this one next to us on Oosterdam gave me the opportunity to ask the party people to keep quiet in the hallways at night. It worked until the last night of the cruise. 4f29964f2d7169f73baa6c7ce7475055.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app