those two dreadful four-letter words: Door Sign

What do you think of the proposed door sign in the first post?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the proposed door sign in the first post?

• Seeing that thing on your door would outright ruin my cruise.
    • I can probably manage to avert my eyes when I have to walk by.
    • Meh. Do what you like.
    • You know, that's really not so bad, as door signs go.
    • That's wonderful! Please put it up the first night so I can steal it right away.

Kind of depends on how big the door sign is. If it's in the 8x10, or 8 1/2x11 size, that's fine.

... nobody cares what you wear. Even if you wear a bathrobe in the Lido! :o

Oh? You've taken a poll of everybody and determined that "nobody" cares? :rolleyes:

Somehow, I doubt that.

Kind of depends on how big the door sign is. If it's in the 8x10, or 8 1/2x11 size, that's fine.

Oh? You've taken a poll of everybody and determined that "nobody" cares? :rolleyes:

Somehow, I doubt that.

I know, I was kidding around. but it's funny to see people in a bathrobe in the Lido at lunchtime! It happens on every cruise I go on. I'll be on the Rotterdam in three weeks, I'll take a picture and share it. I know people care, but I've never seen the staff say anything to the pax.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

but it's funny to see people in a bathrobe in the Lido at lunchtime! It happens on every cruise I go on.

I've seen people in bathrobes in one of the lounges in the afternoon. NO sense of decorum.

But then there was the guy I saw in the Lido one morning; he should have put a robe on. An old guy, wearing nothing but a Speedo, with a gut that made him look like Octomom just before she gave birth.

All of a sudden, I wasn't as opposed to wearing robes outside the cabin.

(PS. The ship in a wheat field references an old family story: Mom grew up on a wheat farm in Kansas, and lived in many different places before our family moved to the agricultural area around Sacramento in the California Central Valley. One day we were driving somewhere amidst some huge fields of wheat. We came up over a rise, and there halfway to the horizon was a huge ocean-going cargo ship apparently just sitting in the middle of the wheat fields.

We were all surprised: the Port of Sacramento had only recently built canals large enough for such large vessels to come the 90 miles inland from San Francisco Bay. But Mom's basic sense of order was briefly affronted - wheat fields were just about part of her DNA, and her DNA knew that ocean-going ships do not belong in wheat fields. She got over it, of course, and we saw many more such vessels across wheat and tomato and sugar beets fields during the time we lived there.

But when I was thinking up how to do the door sign, I figured I'd put our cruise ship in a wheat field for her.)

Oh my goodness!!! We have seen the ship coming through the fields outside of Sacramento. It is a complete and total rearrangement of your thinking!!!

Love the door sign. Jeans are fine. No worries.

Enjoy, Denise

I like the picture.

Does anyone know if HAL has rules about door decorations? Some cruise lines will only allow non-flammable door decorations.

HAL does not have many rules about door decorations for our charters (where it is quite normal); the rules we get are:

"...decorations should not obstruct doorways, hallways, or create an electrical or fire hazard. Also, please refrain from using offensive images or nudity on door decorations.

Please respect ship property and do not damage door surfaces. It is your responsibility to clean up your decorations at the end of the cruise. The costs associated with any damage to your door will be charged to your onboard account."

I love the sign. I am often on the wrong side of the ship and my husband let's me keep walking till I figure it out!.

My DH was so happy with himself on the Koningsdam since he knew that the elevator on the Lido deck near the Canaletto was the one that would get him to our cabin! He usually figures out where we are on the second to last day. :)

For our last cruise - a charter - I had a 22" x 28" poster printed with a collage of pictures from various cruises from the past 11 years that we have been cruising. It was tasteful. :)

(Our cabin was also in a cross-walkway between port and starboard so I doubt many people saw it).

For our last cruise - a charter - I had a 22" x 28" poster printed with a collage of pictures from various cruises from the past 11 years that we have been cruising. It was tasteful. :)

Like you said, on your charters door decorations are customary, though. So that makes a difference.

Besides, on your charters I would expect a certain amount of, ah, shall we say "flamboyance", that doesn't appear on general HAL cruises.

(Our cabin was also in a cross-walkway between port and starboard so I doubt many people saw it).

THAT's a shame!

Like you said, on your charters door decorations are customary, though. So that makes a difference.

Besides, on your charters I would expect a certain amount of, ah, shall we say "flamboyance", that doesn't appear on general HAL cruises.

You are quite correct! :)

Thanks to everyone for all response and votes, and my apologies for having let this thread get away from me a bit.

Regarding Jeans:

The Fodor's Alaska Cruise Guide, 2014 ed., says "Passengers are requested to refrain from wearing jeans in public areas after 6 pm," (paraphrase: I already returned the book to the library). It's a family cruise and we have a table in the MDR, so I'll be in there pretty much nightly.

That, and I generally prefer to avoid annoying people (& my thanks to RuthC for speaking up and saying jeans after 6:00 pm do annoy her). If I'm going to annoy someone; it should either be 1) unanticipated and accidental on my part, which happens more often than I'd like; or 2) entirely deliberate on my part, which happens very rarely and only when the annoyee has been behaving so badly that attempting to annoy them out of it seems the best & only proper response.

So you can see how I need to save up my annoyance allowance for when I really need it. ;)

Regarding Door Signs and Controversy:

Suppose a cruise newbie came to CC; saw a unhappy reference to "door signs," whatever those are; and so searched the boards using the term "door sign." She might easily come away with the idea that door signs are controversial. :)

She might even be someone who realized that people who come to internet boards often do so to voice their opinions; while people who go on cruises usually to do to relax, have fun, and maybe even meet people not entirely like themselves. But she might still infer that such a monsoon of opinion online might reflect a drizzle of similar opinions onboard, and she might be the kind of person who generally prefers to avoid annoying people.

(And sooner or later, she might get tired of referring to herself in the third person. ;))

Regarding Sign Size and Attachment Methods:

Size-wise, I'm thinking of getting the sign printed as an eleven-to-twelve inch circle (or cut to a circle from an 11-12" square).

Does anyone know whether the doors on the post-dry-dock Vista-class ships are magnetic?

My board searches haven't turned up definitive answers. My current plan is to get one copy printed on a sheet magnet; and to also have 2-3 copies on paper, along with some blue painter's tape, as a back-up (I am a little worried that the sign might get stolen).

Regarding huge ships sailing through flat inland farm fields:

It's one heck of a sight, and must be even more startling in Egypt.

Around Sacramento, it seemed like the ships were usually monster-sized barges loaded with huge piles of sawdust waste from CA's timber industry, bound for Japan to be made into (I have no idea, but definitely something). Ah, I can almost smell the tomato fields now... ;)

Nice story about your mom. Make your sign and wear your jeans after 6pm. I do, and as horrible as it sounds, I wore SHORTS in the dining room twice on my Princess cruise earlier this month along with denim pants on a few others. The wardrobe police were not out i guess. Cruise Casual attire in the MDR is very much appreciated these days by me.

I've seen people in bathrobes in one of the lounges in the afternoon. NO sense of decorum.

But then there was the guy I saw in the Lido one morning; he should have put a robe on. An old guy, wearing nothing but a Speedo, with a gut that made him look like Octomom just before she gave birth.

All of a sudden, I wasn't as opposed to wearing robes outside the cabin.

Some of you people need to chill out. You're on vacation. The OctoMom guy is on vacation. Maybe he was in the Lido for 30 seconds to get a cup of coffee?Maybe he was there longer? Seriously, who cares!

This is the stuff that offends you? In Europe men of all ages wear speedos and women of all ages wear bikinis and don't shave their armpits! MAybe he was European?

What will you do when a transgendered man on a HAL cruise uses the ladies room? Or changes in the ladies room in the spa? Horrors!:eek:

OP put whatever you like on your door. As long as it is not offensive, racist, etc. Just use common sense. And I know you asked, but you certainly do not need anyone's approval here on cruise critic.

We decorate our door every cruise. Makes your room feel like "home" coming back to it. We have only received positive feedback and never a problem with the HA staff. I use 3M command strips to not damage any surfaces. Wish more folks would decorate doors.. fun to see the different signs and decorations. Also makes it easy to invite people over to your cabin. i say go for it.. being creative is fun!!! Have a great cruise!!!

Some of you people need to chill out. You're on vacation. The OctoMom guy is on vacation. Maybe he was in the Lido for 30 seconds to get a cup of coffee?Maybe he was there longer? Seriously, who cares!

People with the ability to see. :D

They are not, nor are jeans after 6pm. All perfectly acceptable and done.

Ditto on the door signs not being a problem. If the bring someone else pleasure what's the problem :D

I sometimes wear dress jeans (not faded, dark blue with laundry creases) on casual nights with a nice top and strappy heeled sandles. I've never felt out of place that way.;)

When I cruise with my high school gang we have a door decorating contest. We have had some fantastic doors and most reflect our high school days, old photos or cruising themes. I always put something on our door to help us find our way back "home". I have the initial "R" for our last name with magnets glued on, about 5" high which I put on the door or attach to the mail box.

Other passengers have always stopped and commented on our doors, never heard any thing otherwise. Linda;p

Redneck Bob has know problem with a sign on the cabin door. I recently put a sign on my cabin door during our selling on the Konniesdam. When me and the Mrs got to our cabin we did not have one of those "Privacy Please" things to put in the door slot outside. So I saw this cute sign displayed in one of those music areas on the ship, I beleive it was called the Lincoln Center Stage. I borrowed this sign to put on my door late at nite. It said, "Quiet Please, Performance in Progress". :)

Redneck Bob has know problem with a sign on the cabin door. I recently put a sign on my cabin door during our selling on the Konniesdam. When me and the Mrs got to our cabin we did not have one of those "Privacy Please" things to put in the door slot outside. So I saw this cute sign displayed in one of those music areas on the ship, I beleive it was called the Lincoln Center Stage. I borrowed this sign to put on my door late at nite. It said, "Quiet Please, Performance in Progress". :)

:') I'm just tacky enough to actually make a sign like that. And beyond tacky enough not to care what someone else who is renting a room for the same $$ that we are thinks about it.

In all seriousness, what exactly is it that people don't like about door signs (assuming they aren't rude, hateful, racist, or vulgar). I love seeing them. It's a little bit of personalization in a hallway full of sameness. I would never consider putting out something that would be offensive to children or even overly religious, but I can't guarantee I'm not going to offend someone who simply has a stick up their rear end about door signs. And I honestly don't care if some stranger just doesn't happen to like my sign because it is 11x14 or the color blue or just because it is there.

We always get a cabin where we can see the door just as we exit the elevator and we always put a sign on our door with blue painters tape that comes off easy.

Attached is a photo of the sign we have been using lately and you would be amazed at the number of people who thank us for putting up the sign, saying it makes it much easier for them to find their cabin.

236898382_doorsign.jpg.0366b491657257e5475539fe41fd06a4.jpg

Love your Door sign & the story behind it..No problem put it on your door..

My DH would not remember our Cabin No. so always put a picture of our Dog on our mailbox.. Everyone loves the dog's pic.. One November she wished everyone a "Happy Thanksgiving" on the bottom of her picture..

Hope you both have a wonderful cruise!

1148569714_Brandya1-29-01.jpg.6ddff78a4e069d78c992b9db2b7b9cb1.jpg

BTW The question suggesting you put it up so someone can steal it, is NOT far fetched.. The day we were going through the canal we were on the deck which was open for all Psgrs to go out on the bow.. Our Dogs pic was taken by someone & suspect it may have been a child who just fell in love with her pic..:loudcry:

However, I had two copies of the pic & put the second one out after they closed the bow..

You might want to make another copy, of your ship in the wheat field, just in case someone falls in love with your pic..

We've been on many cruises & the dogs pic was only taken once..