Radiance Class--Which Would You prefer--GS on Hump or Aft?

Looking for Opinions--Which GS on a Radiance Class, 1600 in the AFT corner, with the bigger balcony, or 1556 on the hump, not such a far walk back, midship convenience? (Either would be terrific, but seeking preferences and the reasons behind them. DW doesn't know we're in a GS, and in a "hypothetical conversation she looked at a photo posted from an AFT balcony and mentioned she thought she'd like mid-ship better, but is the bigger balcony something that could win her over?).:confused:

AFT any day of the week. Larger balcony, best view, quieter. The view from the aft is absolutely spectacular and is well worth the walk. Think of the walk as the time you work off all that food you just ate in the dining room.

Logan, We had 1554 on Radiance in September and we ABSOLUTELY LOVED this cabin. The location of this cabin is awesome, right in the centre of the ship SOOO convienent for everything, you can look directly down into the water from the balcony AND you are right across the hall from the Concierge lounge (definately a big plus!). The balcony was also a very good size. I have never had an aft cabin and seriously considered one for this cruise but I am SO glad that I picked 1554. In my opinion, being on the side, in that location has to be better than being Aft (looking to where you are going rather than looking where you have been). I personally would prefer hump to aft even with a larger balcony.

One thing, Radiance 1554 is the same cabin as 1556 on Jewel, Brilliance or Serenade.

I surprised my DH for our anniversary with this cabin and would book it again in an instant, in fact I am currently booked in the same cabin on Brilliance for September next.

1600 is an awesome cabin. We had it on Brilliance last month. I haven't seen the side GSs, but I understand that 1600 is a bit smaller (for 2 it's still huge). My only quibble is that the closet is in an awkward spot, so when DH & were both getting ready for dinner, we would constantly bump into each other. It's right next to the bed and vanity. I don't know where it's located in the other GS cabins.

The balcony was great, with two loungers, two chairs and a table. Not quite dining room height, but close. Actually, the balcony isn't as large as the JS aft balconies, but it was plenty big enough for us!

It takes about one minute to walk to the Concierge Club from back there. 90 seconds if you're strolling, so even though it seems like a loooong way (mainly on the way to bed), it really isn't bad.

1600 is an awesome cabin. We had it on Brilliance last month. I haven't seen the side GSs, but I understand that 1600 is a bit smaller (for 2 it's still huge). My only quibble is that the closet is in an awkward spot, so when DH & were both getting ready for dinner, we would constantly bump into each other. It's right next to the bed and vanity. I don't know where it's located in the other GS cabins.

The balcony was great, with two loungers, two chairs and a table. Not quite dining room height, but close. Actually, the balcony isn't as large as the JS aft balconies, but it was plenty big enough for us!

It takes about one minute to walk to the Concierge Club from back there. 90 seconds if you're strolling, so even though it seems like a loooong way (mainly on the way to bed), it really isn't bad.

Thanks--I think I just asked you for a review of the cabin in another thread, LOL. We'll be 3, DS is a 4th grader, but still expect there to be lots of room. Curious that your impression was that 1600 was a bit smaller due to the funky corner layour--I was wondering if it ended up being larger? It looks more open because the bar is along the wall and does not jut out from the wall at a right angle, as it does in a normal GS.

Now, were you sharing too much information (TMI) about it seeming to be a loooong way to the bed? Guess it depends if your reference was to resting in the bed or recreating in the bed!;) I was considering making the swap to 1556 which has become available, but am thinking we'll stay in 1600 based upon the reply postings I'm getting.

We had 1556 on the Brilliance and really enjoyed being so close to the concierge lounge to grab those delicious capuccinos. We loved this cabn - but have snooped in 1600 and thought the aft balcony was more private. If I had to choose I think I'd go for 1600 - but either GS is very, very, very, nice. Wish I could sail these cabins every cruise!

Enjoy your cruise - your wife is one lucky woman.

Have never had a hump balcony, but have had a regular balcony and an aft on Splendour. Regarding the aft that we had: we couldn't look directly down into the water. It took a l-o-n-g time to get to the cabin, and sometimes that was tiresome.

I won't book an aft again, but would book a balcony on the side any time.

Hello...My wife and I have been on 15 cruises so far, with our 16th coming up in just a few weeks on the Radiance. We have been on the hujmp and the aft. We love them both, but prefer the HUMP. Especially room 9078. this cabin is right in the center of the ship with no other cabins on our left side. Nice and peaceful. Plus this cabin sticks right out over the water which we love for one of the best views on the ship. The balcony is very large and the 2nd largest balcony in the D-1 category. And the Concierge Lounge is right above our room. We will be in cabin 9078 again in December and have fallen in love with it.

I understand that everyone has a different opinion, but this is our choice. Good luck.

Dave

Dave, does it get windy on the balcony of 9078? We're looking at the Jewel 12-night and can't justify the cost of a JS over a D-1. 9092 is the cabin (besides the aft ones) that caught my eye, but I've seen you post about 9078, and you do seem hooked on it!

Logan, I'm not telling!;) I don't have any basis for whether 1600 ended up feeling bigger than the others, because I haven't done any more than stick my head in for a peek - it's plenty big enough for 3, and there's a full drape around the bed, which shuts out any light from the window. Caution: it won't block any noise.:eek:

Here's the link to what I posted: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=249214. It doesn't say a whole lot about the cabin. We honestly didn't mind the walk, and it always brought a smile to my face to see the wake. Kinda like when I get home after an hour on the freeway and my dogs are there to greet me.

As you can tell, this is all a matter of preference. We also prefer the hump location because of the convenience. While the aft balconies are a bit larger, I do not like looking backwards.....call me crazy.

I say you should try one now and another later to form your opinion. I think whatever you choose, you will still have a great time.

Hello...My wife and I have been on 15 cruises so far, with our 16th coming up in just a few weeks on the Radiance. We have been on the hujmp and the aft. We love them both, but prefer the HUMP. Especially room 9078. this cabin is right in the center of the ship with no other cabins on our left side. Nice and peaceful. Plus this cabin sticks right out over the water which we love for one of the best views on the ship. The balcony is very large and the 2nd largest balcony in the D-1 category. And the Concierge Lounge is right above our room. We will be in cabin 9078 again in December and have fallen in love with it.

I understand that everyone has a different opinion, but this is our choice. Good luck.

Dave

I am looking forward to having 8088 on the Serenade in May. I just booked it last week while on the Radiance. We had 9584 and it was wonderful.

Hi Jean...We have never noticed that much more wind in room 9078 than the other balcony rooms. Yes, you do feel a bit more wind because 9078 sticks right out of the center of the ship, but to me, it wouldn't be a cruise without that wonderful breeze and water hitting the ship sound.

Again, I think it is just a personal preference, and I can only tell you how my wife and feel about the room. I am sure some people prefer the aft, or even a cabin that isn't on the hump. But no matter what you choose, I am sure you will be happy. We just love the larger balcony in room 9078, we love the fact that it sticks out futher over the water, we love the fact that there is no one next to us on the left side, we love that the room is right in the middle of the ship near the elevators, we love the fact that the Concerige Lounge is right above the room, and yes, it is quiet in room 9078. We have never been bothered by loud noise.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Regards,

Dave

I would prefer any cabin in the hump because of the great central location. We have 9580 booked on the Jewel for this February. We booked real early and had a chance for a rear cabin but like the central location better.

We are also considering a GS!!! In the listings of the cabins on the Radiance, it says a GS is 358-384 sq ft...I am wondering which of the cabins are 384.

When I called RCI no one knew????

Anyone out there know which cabins are the larger ones??

We were actually booked in 1600 but I changed it to a hump, now I am wondering if I should have kept it.

Just had 1100 corner aft. Greatest room on the ship. Huge balcony & quiet. They wanted to upgrade us to a GS. We had to fight with them to keep 1100. Gs's balconies are smaller, balconies are not as private & the rooms are noisier.

We are also considering a GS!!! In the listings of the cabins on the Radiance, it says a GS is 358-384 sq ft...I am wondering which of the cabins are 384.

When I called RCI no one knew????

Anyone out there know which cabins are the larger ones??

We were actually booked in 1600 but I changed it to a hump, now I am wondering if I should have kept it.

Sometimes life is so easy. I wondered, debated, posted here and read the many sincere thoughtful responses, and then 1556 was no longer available. Corner Aft it is!!;)

And yes--I wish I knew which were 358 and which were 384--I'm not smart enough or mathematical enough to figure it our from deck plans.

Archived