Upper Bunk Weight Limit

LucyB.

Is there there a weight limit on upper bunks? Also are there bed rails? Our 2 DS are already bickering over who gets the top bunk for our Oct. Elation cruise. The other one will have to sleep on the couch, made into a bed. DS, 10, really wants up top. He's kind of a chunky monkey, but really tall too, weighs about 120, solid muscle. Our older DS is super thin. I worry if we put younger DS up top, he'll roll out of bed. (He wallers in his sleep, bad!)

I just need your help to hopefully stop the bickering between my 2. I've decided if there's rails & weight is ok, I'm flipping a coin! Thanks.

I've slept in bunks on many ships, including the Elation. I weigh more than your son. Have had no problem sleeping on the top bunk on any ship. IIRC 250 is the stated weight limit.

There is a rail starting, situated about 18" from either end.

If he's tall, he'll have to watch his head. I'm about 5', my head just grazes the ceiling.

We hang a pocket holder from the hook closest to the bunk. The top pockets are the nightstand for the bunk.

What cabin type do you have? Only suites have couches on the Elation. Don't remember if the fourth also sleeps on the sofa bed or in a bunk.

If you're in an OV or IS and bringing in a trundle or rollaway, keep the lowers apart perpendicularly. More walking around room that way.

We've never had more than 2 in our room. I have heard that in some cabins the drop down bunks can be limited in space. When on the Valor in April 2016, we were waiting in line on embarkation day for the customer service desk and overheard a couple complaining that they specifically requested a cabin (interior) for 3 that did not have a drop down b/c their son did not fit in the drop down bunk. If I had to guess, I would say he was about 5'10 and about 200 lbs. Not sure if that helps.

Should've shared in OP, we're in a 6B, OV, Upper deck.U159, specifically. Room description says 1 upper bunk, couch to be made into bed, 1 upper Pullman.

Thanks for the head room heads up. (Pun intended ;).) Youngest is 5'3" and used to sleeping on the top bunk of our bunkhouse camper. Thanks for telling me about length.

My oldest DS is a total germaphobe, so I don't think swapping will fly w him. Who knows. Maybe once on board they'll decide for themselves.

What cabin type do you have? Only suites have couches on the Elation. Don't remember if the fourth also sleeps on the sofa bed or in a bunk.

If you're in an OV or IS and bringing in a trundle or rollaway, keep the lowers apart perpendicularly. More walking around room that way.

THANK YOU!!! I called and asked about the couch. She said yes about the trundle. I'd wanted a port side room, but wanted U deck. I made an executive choice & switched to E194. It has 2 uppers, and port side. NOW my concern is hearing them clean the dining room into the wee hours or my guys waking up too early bc of overhead noise. It's hard being a type A planner, lol. Esp Mom Mode planning. 😊

Wouldn't worry too much about the MDR. We had an E253on the Inspiration in December. Didn't hear a thing. The aft MDR is only used for dinner and some crew training.

Thanks. So is it safe to say things are quiet say after 10pm?

Is there there a weight limit on upper bunks? Also are there bed rails? Our 2 DS are already bickering over who gets the top bunk for our Oct. Elation cruise. The other one will have to sleep on the couch, made into a bed. DS, 10, really wants up top. He's kind of a chunky monkey, but really tall too, weighs about 120, solid muscle. Our older DS is super thin. I worry if we put younger DS up top, he'll roll out of bed. (He wallers in his sleep, bad!)

I just need your help to hopefully stop the bickering between my 2. I've decided if there's rails & weight is ok, I'm flipping a coin! Thanks.

Bedrail--yes.

Weight limit--I have no idea. But I can say that I (close to 200 lbs) and Husband (around 250-260) have both slept on an upper hanging from the ceiling bunk. They are NOT (imo) very comfortable. The mattress seemed thin to me and every morning I woke up so stiff and in so much pain that I had to spend at least an hour or more in the hot tub before I could move even remotely comfortably. After a week? My back was so messed up it took me having to use a heating pad for a couple days once we got home because it was that sore.

I wouldn't want my worst enemy (ok..MAYBE my worst enemy. Or Donald Trump;p) sleeping in an upper bunk. Just..no.

• Haha 1

I cannot believe I lived to see this day if the 250 weight rule is real. In college in the early 2000s, my friends and I all went on Spring Break out of Miami on a ship for 5 days. Everyone was living four people to a room (of course).

Somehow a group of girls from our Greek (fraternity and sorority) travel group had an odd number of people and one of them got put with my friends and I in a 4 person room. This girl was a really sweet soul and a trooper about being bunked with us. She offered to take top bunk.

I bet she was at least 6 feet tall and 325 lbs. Let's just say her dad used to play offensive line at our college and played in the NFL and she was a chip off the old block. On this trip actually she and our friend "Chizmo" kept getting into contests. Chizmo was a slight guy with a Napoleon complex. He lost to Laura in arm wrestling, beer drinking contest in Cozumel and shrimp cocktail eating contest.

Do not take this as an endorsement for going above the weight limit, just wanted to share fun memories and offer some insight!

Just called my friend who was on trip. Story of Chizmo gets even sadder. The reason the larger female was staying in our room was because a guy in another fraternity was staying in the room with his sister. Lol. Not really that funny because Chizmo is now working at one of the big finance firms on wall street making more money a year than I'll ever make in my life :(