Another one for the ladies - this time about hair and shampoo!

The Wolfman

My wife and have done many cruises, the majority of which have been fora maximum of two weeks. After this time my wife always complains bitterly that the water on the ship ruins her blonde coloured hair - it makes it look and feel like straw. I always think she looks beautiful. We are looking forward to doing a four-week cruise soon on the Aurora and she's worrying already about what her hair will be like at the end of the four weeks. Can any of you ladies out there offer any help or give tips about what type of shampoo or conditioner to use with the ships water being 'manufactured' and not 'fresh' as we have it at home in the UK. I am bald by the way - so no worries about me!

I have highlights and before I go I always get a protective treatment from my hairdresser and take shampoo and conditioner designed to give me protection from the sun (Kerastase). I wash my hair every night and although I've just got back after 28 days to the Caribbean my hair is in pretty good condition.

Thank you ladies so far - however it's not the sun that damages her hair - and believe me she has every bottle, conditioner and mask to protect it from the sun - it is the PH content if the ship water. And as this is the final rise, it strips her hair or anything she has put on it in the shower ..... soooo glad I have none to worry about!! Ha!

I know exactly what she means. I have exactly the same problem with the ship water and my hair.

I have found that using the conditioner that is in the cabins helps, but presumably her own conditioner is better than that anyway.

The only thing I can think of is to use a leave-in conditioner that you put on after you get out of the shower. I do this, as well as using one in the shower, and it does seem to help. The other option is to do what a previous poster has suggested and get a protective treatment before you go.

In fact do everything! One of them will work surely!

Tell her it's easy. For the final rinse use a couple of P&O's large bottles of drinking water. Warm them up in the kettle first (not boiling!!) and then hubby pours the contents over the shower screen. Make sure he gets it on your hair!

Left out

Thank you ladies so far - however it's not the sun that damages her hair - and believe me she has every bottle, conditioner and mask to protect it from the sun - it is the PH content if the ship water. And as this is the final rise, it strips her hair or anything she has put on it in the shower ..... soooo glad I have none to worry about!! Ha!

My son's a competitive swimmer, he's in the pool 6 days /week, sometimes twice a day. He had the same problem in that his hair looked and felt like straw. The problem was even worse when they did an autumn swim camp in the Canaries - chlorine + sun! Then we came across Avon Advanced Techniques 360 Nourishment Moroccan Argan Oil Nourishing Hair Serum, which you apply to damp hair after washing/showering and leave in, drying and styling as normal. You only need a little, it doesn't make hair greasy but leaves it beautifully soft and shiny. Very reasonably priced at £6, but often on offer (current £3.85 on the website).

I would have thought that the wind and sun was detrimental to coloured hair and perhaps is to be expected on a cruise? The hairdresser always recommends a sunhat. I always use the onboard shampoo and conditioner,take some large Velcro rollers and try and keep off the hairdryer.She wont be the only one struggling!

Try Argan Oil, again from Avon which I think is about £3-4. Two small pumps (or more if the hair is longer) and it helps keep my hair soft. Does he have her hair professionally highlighted or dyed? If not, pack a couple of home hair dyes and then put one through about halfway through. Whatever conditioner they have always sorts out any straw like feeling in my verrry red hair which I have to dye after about 10days as the colour fades and the grey shows through!

I found that if I lay off using heated rollers, tongs, straighteners etc etc also saved my hair from damage (whether at sea or not).

You men have it soooo easy ;);)

Bon voyage for now

Karen