Upcoming Alaska NB cruise, appreciate help

Jmdemos

Hi. I don't post much but have been reading on here daily. My husband and I are doing a NB cruise on HAL Zaandam in May. We are cruising Vancouver to Seward. I think I sort of have things narrowed down after all the reading here but could use opinions/ideas. We are in our 30s, in relatively good shape and like to do somewhat active things.

Ketchikan: we can't decide between the Aleusian boat trip vs booking a fishing and then eating the fish you catch trip. Both of these would be independent vendors.

Juneau: we are going to book a whale watching tour. I am lookin at two different vendors: Harv and Marv vs Juneau Whale Watch. Harv and Marv seems more our style however we would have to do a 1:30 departure time and I'm not sure how to spend the rest of the day. The Whale Warch company would leave soon after we arrive in port. We are in port 10-10.

Skagway: I have booked a helicopter dog sled tour for the morning. Not quite sure what to do with the rest of the day. Do the train? Rent a car and go to Emerald Lake? We are in port 7-9.

Seward: our flight isn't until 740 pm so we want to make the most of our day. There are two tours through the cruise ship which is nice because of luggage getting transferred to the airport but we would be willing to forego that for a great independent day. One is a boat tour through fjords and the other is a 2.5 mile hike. We also have considered a flightseeing tour of Denali, but that is a lot of $$$ and I'm just not sure if it isn't a must.

Anyways, I really appreciate any help you can give.

Edited by Jmdemos

If you are active, consider hiking Mt. Roberts in Juneau for your half day. It is walking distance from the ships. Take the tram up. It takes you to about 1800 ft. Then take take the hiking trails up as far as you want to go. The tram might be crowded but not the trails. You can hike up another 1800 I think, fairly easy hike although it is uphill. The views at the top are really special. From the bottom you only can see up to where the tram stops, but there is more mountain there that you cannot see. We had a fun half day doing that.

Thoughts....

• Another option is look for a whale watch combo with Mendenhall to check out the local glacier.
  • hope you have extra days in your bonus port Vancouver. Lots to do there for pre-cruise. Staying a few blocks away offers multi-day savings. Let us know if you need hotel suggestions.

Edited by xlxo

I find it vital to consider the whole port day with planning. Sure H&M are well known vendors, but having a superior time for your day is of more advantage in my opinion. Hiking the well marked trails at Mendenhall is a wonderful use of time, perhaps- an interest in a kayak tour of Mendenhall Lake to the ice caves? With your long port day, easy to do several activities. Mount Roberts does have well marked trails, as already mentioned. An option to also consider is a car rental, then just drive yourself to a whale watch, adding multiple areas to wander before/after, including Mendenhall.

Same with Skagway- If you book a helicopter for beginning/end of your port day, you do have a nice block of time. Yes a car rental is an option to consider. Also a hike to Lower Dewey Lake, biking the Dyea Road? Historic Skagway exploring? http://www.skagway.com has a walking tour map to also consider.

Ketchikan: we can't decide between the Aleusian boat trip vs booking a fishing and then eating the fish you catch trip. Both of these would be independent vendors.

Ask questions of your fishing vendors. I have cruised a lot in May and have yet to met anyone who has caught anything during this time. I would ask what your chances are of catching whatever you are trying to catch. Most people say they spent $400 plus per person to not see any activity.

Seward: our flight isn't until 740 pm so we want to make the most of our day. There are two tours through the cruise ship which is nice because of luggage getting transferred to the airport but we would be willing to forego that for a great independent day. One is a boat tour through fjords and the other is a 2.5 mile hike. We also have considered a flightseeing tour of Denali, but that is a lot of $$$ and I'm just not sure if it isn't a must.

Anyways, I really appreciate any help you can give.

There is no "must", it's what YOU want to do. :) If I am reading this correct, you are leaving the same day you get off the ship? IF the case then the only Kenai Fjords boat trip available would be the 8am one (verify schedules), that you CAN take, if of priority interest? I find these tours to be a highlight for glaicer viewing and varied wildlife. You ideally need at least 6 hours on the water to get out of bay. The shorter trips, are way down the pole in my opinion.

Although costly- a suggestion that could really give you a fantastic opportunity (I sound like a salesman- yikes :( ) is to rent a one way car. Yep costly, but transportation for 2 with no wasted time, doing "nothing". :) You could have a nice Exit Glacier visit, maybe the Alaska Sealife Center? Drive to Portage, an hour Portage Glacier boat tour, ranger activity at the Portage Glacier visitor center, hiking? Girdwood, Winner Creek trail with the hand tram :) stopping along the Arm- multiple times, Potter's Marsh? hiking? or a day in Anchorage. http://www.anchorage.net You do need a 2 hour window at the ANC airport. perhaps have dinner then drive direct there?

Ask questions of your fishing vendors. I have cruised a lot in May and have yet to met anyone who has caught anything during this time. I would ask what your chances are of catching whatever you are trying to catch. Most people say they spent $400 plus per person to not see any activity.

Wow, thanks for this. I called and left a message with the vendor I was interested in. This might make the decision easy.

There is no "must", it's what YOU want to do. :) If I am reading this correct, you are leaving the same day you get off the ship? IF the case then the only Kenai Fjords boat trip available would be the 8am one (verify schedules), that you CAN take, if of priority interest? I find these tours to be a highlight for glaicer viewing and varied wildlife. You ideally need at least 6 hours on the water to get out of bay. The shorter trips, are way down the pole in my opinion.

Although costly- a suggestion that could really give you a fantastic opportunity (I sound like a salesman- yikes :( ) is to rent a one way car. Yep costly, but transportation for 2 with no wasted time, doing "nothing". :) You could have a nice Exit Glacier visit, maybe the Alaska Sealife Center? Drive to Portage, an hour Portage Glacier boat tour, ranger activity at the Portage Glacier visitor center, hiking? Girdwood, Winner Creek trail with the hand tram :) stopping along the Arm- multiple times, Potter's Marsh? hiking? or a day in Anchorage. www.anchorage.net You do need a 2 hour window at the ANC airport. perhaps have dinner then drive direct there?

Yes there is an early departure. I think we meet on the ship at 7:15. Renting a car is not a bad idea either. Thanks I appreciate the help.

I agree. I've been sailing every May for about the last 15 years. What I most frequently see is grumbling people who are angry they didn't catch anything.

However, I don't find, asking a vendor to be an unbiased answer. I would suspect that it will be reported as not ideal but slanted toward more possibility than what is reality based averages. "Fishing" is not "catching". So the vendors will deliver what you purchase.

I would also suggest verifying your information with the Alaska Fish and Game, who have verified records to perhaps also consider in your selections.