ESCAPE review with pictures, dailies and comments

drneal

what birthday package is that? I have done one in the past and it was nothing like that my Daughter is turning 15 on our next cruise and I would love to have all that.

If you go on the NCL website go under "Get ready to cruise"

then go to "Onboard Packages". Look up "Birthday Packages"

#551 for $35.

It came with a strawberry shortcake which was very good. I'm not sure if you can change the cake.

Speak with your room steward the day before and let them know when you would like the room decorated.(make sure that you do not have the privacy light on or they won't go in the room).

My wife also booked a mother/daughter spa massage when we got on the ship.

They only have a few of those spa services and it was at 9 AM, but my daughter liked it.

Finally she went to BINGO and won $200

Day 5 TORTOLA

I forgot to mention that we had to turn the clocks AHEAD 1 hour from Sunday-Monday

so if you are planning your own excursions you might have to figure that into your plans.

day5_zps11lhmclj.jpg

3rd port's a charm....

finally a nice view for those of us on the starboard side, the port side view was also nice.

It rained the night before but the sun came out.

7TortBalcoView_zps62vzsvls.jpg

We charted a 27' Motor cat to take us to Jost Van Dyke as the Rebel Yell was sold out.

(as others have asked it was $550 for 4 hours including the captain, fuel and drinks.

The boat could fit 8 people)

The marina was next to the Ship Pier.

2ShipPortSide_zpspsq1ont7.jpg

We had dolphins playing off the bow of the boat.

That's Jost Van Dyke in the background.

7TortDolphin_zpspncn1zdw.jpg

Sandy Spit

a small "deserted" island

They filmed a Corona commercial here, so you know it has to be good !

7TortSandySpit2_zpseomu68wy.jpg

(that's our motor cat in the center of the picture)

7TortSandySpit3_zpscfyduxiz.jpg

If you go on the NCL website go under "Get ready to cruise"

then go to "Onboard Packages". Look up "Birthday Packages"

#551 for $35.

It came with a strawberry shortcake which was very good. I'm not sure if you can change the cake.

Speak with your room steward the day before and let them know when you would like the room decorated.(make sure that you do not have the privacy light on or they won't go in the room).

My wife also booked a mother/daughter spa massage when we got on the ship.

They only have a few of those spa services and it was at 9 AM, but my daughter liked it.

Finally she went to BINGO and won $200

thank you for your reply

I am guessing your room steward must of did the cake towels and on his own because we have never had that before that is why I was thinking you pick a different package lol

Great review!! I am fully enjoying your review. I do have a question when you have time. I am interested in the Jost Van Dyke excursion but concerned that the cruise version and/or Rebel Yell will be sold out. Who did you go through for your excursion? Did you reserve prior or did you locate the vendor when you arrived in Tortola?

I have a few days until my cruise, but I like to be prepared...LOL

:)

thank you for your reply

I am guessing your room steward must of did the cake towels and on his own because we have never had that before that is why I was thinking you pick a different package lol

I spoke with the room steward the day before and I tipped her,

but I remember them decorating the room very nicely last year as well.

Great review!! I am fully enjoying your review. I do have a question when you have time. I am interested in the Jost Van Dyke excursion but concerned that the cruise version and/or Rebel Yell will be sold out. Who did you go through for your excursion? Did you reserve prior or did you locate the vendor when you arrived in Tortola?

I have a few days until my cruise, but I like to be prepared...LOL

:)

I booked it through BlueHorizonBVI.com

Eddie is the owner/operator.

He was a captain on other boats and recently started his own service.

He has 2 boats. The 27' Motor cat, which we were on, and a Scarab.

I wanted to go on the Scarab but I was happy with the Motor Cat as it is very stable in the water if there is some chop that day.

His phone was not working well that day and I hope it is fixed but you can e-mail him directly at bluehorizonbvi@mail.com.

Look into if you want to see JVD or if you want to go snorkeling, we didn't have time for both.

I booked it through BlueHorizonBVI.com

Eddie is the owner/operator.

He was a captain on other boats and recently started his own service.

He has 2 boats. The 27' Motor cat, which we were on, and a Scarab.

I wanted to go on the Scarab but I was happy with the Motor Cat as it is very stable in the water if there is some chop that day.

His phone was not working well that day and I hope it is fixed but you can e-mail him directly at bluehorizonbvi@mail.com.

Look into if you want to see JVD or if you want to go snorkeling, we didn't have time for both.

Thank you so much!!!

Wednesday on Sandy Spit, Tortola

7JVD8_zps2pa2od6o.jpg

Thursday Day 6 - sea day

14814balconypipe_zpsnhzjang3.jpg

Friday Day 7 - Nassau

day6_zpskzpu4qtu.jpg

Atlantis....Carnival, MSC, Disney Magic....and behind the Magic is Tatoosh (Paul Allen's yacht)

Nassau_zpsumagumrc.jpg

We rented a Wave-runner on Cabbage beach for $100/hour

($140/hour seems to be the going rate)

We were able to ride the wave runners in front of the Atlantis

$4/person taxi ride to Cabbage beach, which is on Paradise Island.

The area by the taxis is crowded but you can walk 1/3 mile down the beach,

past "the One and Only" resort and have the beach to yourself.

Although there weren't many places to get a beach chair so bring

a towel.

Jetski_zpsp2wy53f9.jpg

Nassau was another good port for the Starboard side view

Nassau2_zpsjfe21jim.jpg

I really enjoyed reading reviews, especially ones with pictures, before my cruise.

I enjoyed re-living my trip with everyone.

Time to plan the next trip.

Wednesday on Sandy Spit, Tortola

7JVD8_zps2pa2od6o.jpg

Thursday Day 6 - sea day

14814balconypipe_zpsnhzjang3.jpg

Friday Day 7 - Nassau

day6_zpskzpu4qtu.jpg

Atlantis....Carnival, MSC, Disney Magic....and behind the Magic is Tatoosh (Paul Allen's yacht)

Nassau_zpsumagumrc.jpg

We rented a Wave-runner on Cabbage beach for $100/hour

($140/hour seems to be the going rate)

We were able to ride the wave runners in front of the Atlantis

$4/person taxi ride to Cabbage beach, which is on Paradise Island.

The area by the taxis is crowded but you can walk 1/3 mile down the beach,

past "the One and Only" resort and have the beach to yourself.

Although there weren't many places to get a beach chair so bring

a towel.

Jetski_zpsp2wy53f9.jpg

Nassau was another good port for the Starboard side view

Nassau2_zpsjfe21jim.jpg

I really enjoyed reading reviews, especially ones with pictures, before my cruise.

I enjoyed re-living my trip with everyone.

Time to plan the next trip.

Thanks for your amazing review and pics!! Quick q how was the water at Cabbage beach? Was it warm enough and safe for swimming?

Thanks for your amazing review and pics!! Quick q how was the water at Cabbage beach? Was it warm enough and safe for swimming?

The water was warm and clean.

There is a large section which is roped off from boats.

I may have missed it-- but what kind of camera are you using in the water? Does it work well?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry I missed this.

I used a GoPro HERO Session. A base model.

Not very intuitive but it shoots in 1080.

The Session 5 shoots in 4 K and time lapse.

Hey, great review! Going on the 18th and cant wait. Went last year in April, had such a great time that rebooked same cabins again right after we got back and its almost time again! Will try for Vibe passes again but wont be crushed if we don't get them. Probably do the "chair hog" thing like everyone else, probably at Spice or Deck 19 by the Vibe. If I cant be in, at least I will be close... Last year Rommel and Roberto took such great care of us that it really made the trip special. I know that they are no longer at the Vibe hope they are still somewhere on the ship so I we can see them again. Also loved the District Brewhouse and the Piano Player Beau. Very funny and talented. Again, I doubt he is still there. We booked the Ultimate Adventure tour to White bay though the cruise line last year and this. For the cost of 5 however, could have done something private on our own, like you did. A great way to see the BVI! Thanks again for sharing. Great photos and comments!

Awesome review! Escape is a favorite of ours.

Thank you I had fun on the ship and reliving it doing the review

Enjoying your pictures too....really helps us while we wait for our next cruise on her:D

Always good to have a cruise to look forward to....and pictures always seem to help

I have 2 boys (16 and 14 yrs) and we are considering Food Republic. Did your kids enjoy it? Also it looks like you order several dishes that you share, is that correct? You mentioned $7/dish, curious on how that works.

At Food Republic they say "Sharing is caring", so yes the dishes are meant to be shared.

Basically it's asian fusion food. Sushi rolls and dumplings. The pork belly dumplings are a favorite.

They also have pastrami dumplings,

We had 5 dishes to share between the 4 of us. You place your order on an iPad and they bring it out to you.

Each dish is about $7, so our bill was about $35-40.

We had the unlimited beverage package so we didn't have to pay for drinks.

We all enjoyed it. They have many dishes that we have not seen often.

We went the 1st day as I read other reviews where they said that it can get busy

later in the week.

So the specialty dinning package does not work at the Food Republic? My husband and i have the package, and trying to decide if it is worth getting for my teenagers.

To my knowledge you cannot use the dining package at Food Republic.

I think that it is a Miami based small chain restaurant.

In addition you would be better off using your dining package where a meal could cost $30-40/person.

You could always just take the kids with you and pay for them if you want them to join you at

the specialty restaurants. No use in paying up front for the package.

We had a promo for all 4 of us for 4 meals so the kids came with us. They really liked Teppanyaki.

My son is a vegetarian and liked the salad bar at Moderno but only ordered a few side dishes at Cagney's.