Blue Mountains/Featherdale Wildlife Park

We have one day post cruise and are looking for a tour to do. We will have spent a few days prior to the cruise in Sydney so will have seen the usual tourist sights. We are considering a tour to the Blue Mountains and Featherdale Wildlife Park, but are wondering if the long drive is worth it.

We live in a very mountainous region (think Whistler Mountain in BC) and have been told that the Blue Mountains are not what we would consider to be mountains and may be somewhat underwhelming. We have done cable cars and gondolas before many times. With that information, do you think the long drive to the Blue Mountains is worth it? Or Featherdale Wildlife Park? Is there something else that anyone might suggest that is a bit different for a day trip in the Sydney area?

All suggestions are most welcome!

We have one day post cruise and are looking for a tour to do. We will have spent a few days prior to the cruise in Sydney so will have seen the usual tourist sights. We are considering a tour to the Blue Mountains and Featherdale Wildlife Park, but are wondering if the long drive is worth it.

We live in a very mountainous region (think Whistler Mountain in BC) and have been told that the Blue Mountains are not what we would consider to be mountains and may be somewhat underwhelming. We have done cable cars and gondolas before many times. With that information, do you think the long drive to the Blue Mountains is worth it? Or Featherdale Wildlife Park? Is there something else that anyone might suggest that is a bit different for a day trip in the Sydney area?

All suggestions are most welcome!

You'll have seen the sights of Sydney but what other Australian ports are you visiting on your cruise? The shore excursions you do in those will make it easy to suggest a one day tour in Sydney.

The blue Mountains certainly are not like the Canadian ones, but that is part of the charm. instead of driving, you could always get the train or do a tour.

Blue Mountains (2 hours from Sydney) - catch a train from Sydney to Katoomba station. There is a hop on hop off bus which costs $44 ($34USD) and your pass is good for three days, but you can see a lot in one day. Has 29 stops, great value. (There are lots of coach day tours from Sydney that cover a lot of territory. Some tours also stop at Featherdale Wildlife Park and the Olympic Complex at Homebush and range from $100-160 USD, depending on length.)

Here are a few other suggestions for visiting Sydney.

Circular Quay is where the ferries leave from, and where the ship docks. There is a train station there as well. Also buses, taxis, tourist and souvenir shops, pubs, cafes, restaurants, McDonalds, Starbucks.

Kiama (2 hours from Sydney) - catch a train from Sydney to Kiama station. Beaches, blowhole, lovely coast. Nice day trip.

Sydney Harbour - catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly. Cost is cheap, maybe $8? Great views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House. On arrival at Manly follow the crowds down the Corso to the beach. Heaps of restaurants, cafes, pubs. Another nice ferry ride back to Circular Quay. You can also catch a ferry to Taronga Zoo, has to be the best view of any Zoo in the world. Buy your Zoo and ferry tickets at Wharf 4, Circular Quay.

Sydney - The Rocks - historic area, lots of old buildings, nice old pubs, lots of opportunities for Bridge photos, restaurants and shopping. Get off train at Circular Quay, head on foot into the area where the bridge is. Or just next to where the ship docks at the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

Sydney Opera House and Botanic Gardens - get off train at Circular Quay and walk towards and around opera house, the gardens on the other side are the start of the Botanic Gardens. Food and drinks are available everywhere.

Other places of interest in this area - NSW Art Gallery, Museum, St Mary's Cathedral. All are located just after the Botanic gardens and are easily walkable.

Darling Harbour and Chinatown - located a short walk from Town Hall Station. Restaurants, bars, shopping, markets, aquarium, cruises. Lots to see and do.

Bondi Beach - bus 333 leaves from Museum Station, Sydney. Can also catch train from Martin Place to Bondi Junction, bus leaves from station to beach.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and comments everyone! I'm quite excited as we leave in a week for our holiday. I'm still not sure if we will do the Blue Mountains, I think we might wait to see what we can see and do in Sydney in our first few days there.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and comments everyone! I'm quite excited as we leave in a week for our holiday. I'm still not sure if we will do the Blue Mountains, I think we might wait to see what we can see and do in Sydney in our first few days there.

Just don't push it too hard and enjoy what you can.:D

I might mention zumbalover, check the weather if at all possible before you head up here to the "mountains". We are heading in to March when drizzle and fog start to move in a little. If it is a clear day then come on up by car/train/tour bus and enjoy our different vistas.

Steve.

I think that's best.

I might mention zumbalover, check the weather if at all possible before you head up here to the "mountains". We are heading in to March when drizzle and fog start to move in a little. If it is a clear day then come on up by car/train/tour bus and enjoy our different vistas.

Steve.

Great advice, weather is definitely a factor on how beautiful the mountains can look. Too hot and you get the haze (eucalyptus evaporation) , foggy or misty and you see nothing.