FTTF out of Charleston

Hey Guys, we just booked a cruise on the Ecstacy out of Charleston. We were given a port time arrival of 12:00P to 12:30P. Does anyone know if you purchase FTTF if you are allowed to arrive earlier? Everyone on these boards seems to have a wealth of knowledge and are so helpful! We appreciate the help!

My advise would be (especially since you're in Charleston) to Uber to port. That way you don't have to pay the parking fees and you skip the long line to park (and get out)...

We sailed out of Charleston last year with FTTF. We were on board by 11am.

We're from Charleston. We have family there, so we get them to drop us & pick us up. The port is small, therefore it is a bit slower & more crowded than Han the larger ports. W/ F2F, u can arrive whenever and your wait will be minimal. Our last sail from Charleston was October & we were boarded w/in 30 mins.

Hey Guys, we just booked a cruise on the Ecstacy out of Charleston. We were given a port time arrival of 12:00P to 12:30P. Does anyone know if you purchase FTTF if you are allowed to arrive earlier? Everyone on these boards seems to have a wealth of knowledge and are so helpful! We appreciate the help!

You can arrive earlier if you have FTTF. If priority boarding is your only reason for the FTTF, and not the other FTTF privileges, you can just check-in and board at a later time with purchasing it.

I am sailing from Charleston in October on the Sunshine. She will be coming in empty from Norfolk but our sail away is not until 10pm. Any idea what boarding will be like? I did purchase FTTF and I have confirmed reservations at the Steakhouse for 6:30pm on boarding day.

I will be parking at the port but we have friends in Charleston that we can hang with during the day until boarding. Can I park there that early? Anyone have experience with luggage drop off?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I am sailing from Charleston in October on the Sunshine. She will be coming in empty from Norfolk but our sail away is not until 10pm. Any idea what boarding will be like? I did purchase FTTF and I have confirmed reservations at the Steakhouse for 6:30pm on boarding day.

I will be parking at the port but we have friends in Charleston that we can hang with during the day until boarding. Can I park there that early? Anyone have experience with luggage drop off?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I can't answer your questions about parking, as we don't park - we have family drop us and take our car back to their house. Dropping luggage is easy at the port ... w/ F2F there is a separate line they will move you over to and put a colored "dot" on your windshield when you enter which lets the other port personnel know where to direct you. Once you drop your luggage, they direct you where to go to park. It's pretty easy when you get to the check in area. The port itself is just small compared to other ports, but fairly easy to navigate.

Once you get through check-in & get your S&S cards, you just walk out the door, up the gangway and onto the boat.

Sounds like the boat coming from Norfolk to Charleston is the cruise were supposed to be on. We were originally scheduled for October to/from Norfolk, but changed to a Nov cruise out of Charleston so we could go w/ family.

On another note ... if you are spending the day in Charleston and want a really good local place to eat - I recommend venturing to Daniel Island and eating at Queen Anne's Revenge ... or if you are a salad eater, go to California Dreaming ... their salads are to die for!

I can't answer your questions about parking, as we don't park - we have family drop us and take our car back to their house. Dropping luggage is easy at the port ... w/ F2F there is a separate line they will move you over to and put a colored "dot" on your windshield when you enter which lets the other port personnel know where to direct you. Once you drop your luggage, they direct you where to go to park. It's pretty easy when you get to the check in area. The port itself is just small compared to other ports, but fairly easy to navigate.

Once you get through check-in & get your S&S cards, you just walk out the door, up the gangway and onto the boat.

Sounds like the boat coming from Norfolk to Charleston is the cruise were supposed to be on. We were originally scheduled for October to/from Norfolk, but changed to a Nov cruise out of Charleston so we could go w/ family.

On another note ... if you are spending the day in Charleston and want a really good local place to eat - I recommend venturing to Daniel Island and eating at Queen Anne's Revenge ... or if you are a salad eater, go to California Dreaming ... their salads are to die for!

We love California Dreaming in Myrtle Beach. They have some good steaks. (The one up behind Walmart on Dick Pond Rd., not the one on 17) - We're a fan of TBonz too which we eat there in Charleston. There's one of those in Myrtle Beach too at Barefoot.

We love California Dreaming in Myrtle Beach. They have some good steaks. (The one up behind Walmart on Dick Pond Rd., not the one on 17) - We're a fan of TBonz too which we eat there in Charleston. There's one of those in Myrtle Beach too at Barefoot.

TBonz is a family owned group. I used to LOVE to eat lunch there when we lived in Charleston. My favorite is the Tommy Fries and Nachos & salsa. I loved their homemade salsa. I worked about 15 minutes away. However, several years ago they changed the menu a bit and I haven't been as pleased ... I'm a creature of habit & like to eat the same things at certain restaraunts, so we don't go very often. Never eaten at the CA Dreaming in MB. We have friends that own a boat and we used to cruise the Ashley River on their Bayliner and then dock at California Dreaming and eat dinner.

Mainly a dinner place ... but Fulton Five on Fulton Alley (next to the Omni Hotel) is awesome italian cuisine, but it's reservation only (unless you sit at the bar). Expensive, but exceptional food.

Thanks for the help!! I LOVE Queen Anne's Revenge!! We live in Charlotte, NC so Charleston is just a quick trip down the road. We are there quite often and love Daniel Island.

I left from Charleston last November on the Sunshine with my bil and sil who are diamond status, I had fttf and my daughter and sil, who did not have fttf were on the ship 20 minutes before us. We were sent to a line right at the door to the terminal and my daughter and sil were sent around the corner of the building I never saw a port so disorganized before. I couldn't believe it when I saw my daughter and sil going through the scanners and we were still very far behind on our line.My bil was so upset said he'd never leave from Charleston again.

I left from Charleston last November on the Sunshine with my bil and sil who are diamond status, I had fttf and my daughter and sil, who did not have fttf were on the ship 20 minutes before us. We were sent to a line right at the door to the terminal and my daughter and sil were sent around the corner of the building I never saw a port so disorganized before. I couldn't believe it when I saw my daughter and sil going through the scanners and we were still very far behind on our line.My bil was so upset said he'd never leave from Charleston again.

Maybe they were just having an off day? That sounds really weird. It is a small port, but we've never had that problem. Despite small, they have always been efficient in the past. Whether priority boarding or F2F ... we've usually been in the port and on the gangway in less than 20 minutes. That's not normal for Charleston.

We experienced similar issues when sailing on the Sunshine out of Charleston. I think it has more to do with logistics than anything else. Because Charleston does not have a proper passenger terminal, the port becomes challenged with the larger ships. I'm sure even a few hundred extra guests can alter the normal flow of the operation. :+ I've heard people complain of late departures as well but again, that is more to do with the tide ( water level) in the harbor, certainly nothing Carnival can control.

I sailed from there in Nov on the Ecstasy and embarkation was a nightmare. Never seen any port so unorganized. Can't comment on parking, the hotel dropped us off.

We had FTTF and when we first got there we were fairly early and went through the white tent etc, left our luggage and walked up to get in line. We had been waiting about 45 mins and I saw other people going to a line far to the left. So I went and ask them why they were in that line and it was FTTF. No signage, nobody to direct us over there, nothing. It should be clear when you walk up so you know where to go.

I went and ask the guy at the front of both lines and he said they would open the line for us first.

As you can guess that didn't happen. When they opened the gates, it was a mad rush of everyone together. Once inside we did get in the FTTF and priority boarding line. After the lady checked us in and we got our S&S cards she directed us to the steps and said we could go right up and onto the ship. When we got to the steps these old fart men were stopping anyone from going up the steps because there were already too many people upstairs in line and we had to wait for about 10 mins. There were plenty of people that were not priority in the line. So I politely went up to the old fart and told him we had FTTF and he hatefully told me that no one was going any further until he was notified. Waiting doesn't bother me but paying $79 and not getting on board first and no separate line is what made me mad.

The only thing good was when we finally got on, we were able to go to our room as usual for FTTF.

I was so dreading debarkation. But that went very smoothly. Off in 10 mins.

So I guess what it comes down to if you get FTTF, makes sure you go the outer left line. Maybe something has changed and they have a sign to direct you and be prepared to be mixed in with others that haven't paid the extra. Hope,your experience will be better than ours.

I sailed from there in Nov on the Ecstasy and embarkation was a nightmare. Never seen any port so unorganized. Can't comment on parking, the hotel dropped us off.

We had FTTF and when we first got there we were fairly early and went through the white tent etc, left our luggage and walked up to get in line. We had been waiting about 45 mins and I saw other people going to a line far to the left. So I went and ask them why they were in that line and it was FTTF. No signage, nobody to direct us over there, nothing. It should be clear when you walk up so you know where to go.

I went and ask the guy at the front of both lines and he said they would open the line for us first.

As you can guess that didn't happen. When they opened the gates, it was a mad rush of everyone together. Once inside we did get in the FTTF and priority boarding line. After the lady checked us in and we got our S&S cards she directed us to the steps and said we could go right up and onto the ship. When we got to the steps these old fart men were stopping anyone from going up the steps because there were already too many people upstairs in line and we had to wait for about 10 mins. There were plenty of people that were not priority in the line. So I politely went up to the old fart and told him we had FTTF and he hatefully told me that no one was going any further until he was notified. Waiting doesn't bother me but paying $79 and not getting on board first and no separate line is what made me mad.

The only thing good was when we finally got on, we were able to go to our room as usual for FTTF.

I was so dreading debarkation. But that went very smoothly. Off in 10 mins.

So I guess what it comes down to if you get FTTF, makes sure you go the outer left line. Maybe something has changed and they have a sign to direct you and be prepared to be mixed in with others that haven't paid the extra. Hope,your experience will be better than ours.

Thanks for the heads up! I would hate to think we paid extra for nothing. I'm with you, I don't mind waiting, but Carnival should not promote the sale of FTTF in Charleston if they cannot work with the port crew to execute it.

Thanks for the heads up! I would hate to think we paid extra for nothing. I'm with you, I don't mind waiting, but Carnival should not promote the sale of FTTF in Charleston if they cannot work with the port crew to execute it.

I know every situation is different. We went out of Charleston on the Ecstasy last May. Uber took us from our hotel in Mt. P to port and dropped us off at the porters. They took our bags and we waited at the white tent. Then took a shuttle from there to the terminal. Once we arrived at the terminal, the bus driver asked for priority passengers to exit first. Being we had FTTF we did. We went in, there was a clearly marked line for FTTF as well as people standing there directing where to go. We went through security and up to the counter with ease. No line. Then went straight onto the ship. We got to the port around 10:30-10:45 and were on Lido by 11:15.

Just a bit confused. From the white tent, do you just walk up to get in line, or take a shuttle to the terminal. Are there many white tents?

I know every situation is different. We went out of Charleston on the Ecstasy last May. Uber took us from our hotel in Mt. P to port and dropped us off at the porters. They took our bags and we waited at the white tent. Then took a shuttle from there to the terminal. Once we arrived at the terminal, the bus driver asked for priority passengers to exit first. Being we had FTTF we did. We went in, there was a clearly marked line for FTTF as well as people standing there directing where to go.

Just a bit confused. From the white tent, do you just walk up to get in line, or take a shuttle to the terminal. Are there many white tents?

The white tent was next to where Uber dropped us off at port where the porters took our bags. Not sure if you're driving in.

I know every situation is different. We went out of Charleston on the Ecstasy last May. Uber took us from our hotel in Mt. P to port and dropped us off at the porters. They took our bags and we waited at the white tent. Then took a shuttle from there to the terminal. Once we arrived at the terminal, the bus driver asked for priority passengers to exit first. Being we had FTTF we did. We went in, there was a clearly marked line for FTTF as well as people standing there directing where to go. We went through security and up to the counter with ease. No line. Then went straight onto the ship. We got to the port around 10:30-10:45 and were on Lido by 11:15.

What a great experience! I'm hoping for the best!

Cluster**** is absolutely the only way to describe embarkation at Charleston. We were on the Ecstasy in November. We always do a park and cruise so had a transport van to the port. Good thing, because cars were lined up waayyyyy back trying to park and not moving. We went right to the front of the transport vehicle line, but were required to wait because they were not letting any cars in yet.

So, after just maybe 5 minutes we were allowed to enter after the port agent boarded our van and checked everyone's boarding documents. We then stopped at the luggage drop off and walked back onto the street to go down about half a block to walk into the terminal area. Never saw a transport van but we did walk past the white tent. This seemed incredibly unorganized. When we walked into the port it was already a mad house. I was trying to figure out how the port was already completely full of people when they had just started allowing people in. I asked at each step and was directed to the priority line. When we got past the luggage check and to the check in counter, there were employees directing people to the next available agent and controlling the priority to non priority ratio. There were minimal delays after that waiting for the ship to open for new passengers.

The main problems with Charleston are 1) not enough parking and 2) no separate levels for upcoming/outgoing passengers so they have to clear everyone before they let anyone in. Was FTTF worth it? Initially I probably would have said no, but considering the sea of people that we skipped I guess I would say yes. Alternately, I would choose the wait until a later boarding time here.

One more tip.... We were leisurely getting to our FTTF meeting area for debarkation, assuming they would announce it overhead like they were doing for all the other zones they were calling. They didn't, and we had a time waiting for someone to take us down since we had missed our group. So if priority debarkation is important to you, get to your meeting place early!