Young Adults

ChuckRoastIndy

I am planning a trip for our family in December on the Escape. My college aged daughter and her boyfriend will be going with us. I was going to book them rooms by themselves. Then I read where they must be 21 year of age to do so. Then I found a "Parent / Guardian release Form". Is this all I need to get them their own rooms?

Also, what if things don't "work out" with them by the time December gets here? Can I bring someone else in his place?

Book one adult in each cabin and switch it out when you board. Make sure the over 21 is first on the booking so that you each get the beverage package. The under 21s can get the soda package. That way you don't need to worry about booking problems.

Yes, you can do a passenger change better off to change pax #2 than #1 so again, its best to make the young adults the second passenger for each cabin.

If they are under 21 they can't be booked in a room by themselves. An adult from your family will have to be booked in their room and you can get the correct room keys onboard. The downside to this is it can screw up the assigning of perks. Ie if it's just you, your husband, daughter and her bf; either you or your husband will have to be booked in their room so if you both want UBP it will have to be chosen as the perk for both rooms (under 21s will get the soda package instead).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am planning a trip for our family in December on the Escape. My college aged daughter and her boyfriend will be going with us. I was going to book them rooms by themselves. Then I read where they must be 21 year of age to do so. Then I found a "Parent / Guardian release Form". Is this all I need to get them their own rooms?

Also, what if things don't "work out" with them by the time December gets here? Can I bring someone else in his place?

A travel insurance for both of them may give you more options if things doesn't work out between them even just days before.

It's actually a ridiculous rule. Can a young married couple not cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A married couple under 21 is an exception to this rule. However since OP sounds more concerned that they may not even be dating come December I'm assuming that them being married by then is unlikely which is why no one mentioned it.

But yes, it is a ridiculous rule. Think they are trying to avoid large groups of college aged people cruising together, getting drunk in port and from sneaked alcohol, and in general being a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe I'm a prude, but my college-aged kid wouldn't be shacking up with her boyfriend on my trip anyway, especially when I'm not even sure how steady the relationship is. I mean, obviously kids do stuff like this, but it's hardly appropriate for a family vacation. Yeah, I guess I'm a prude. Whatever.

The Parent/Guardian Release form has nothing to do with being able to book the rooms. It has to do with those minors who will not be travelling with at least 1 parent or legal guardian.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ParentGuardianForm_01302012b.pdf

Such form would be required for your daughter's current (or future, as the case may be) boyfriend if he is of minor age. You mention your daughter is of "college age" but not her actual age nor the age of the boyfriend.

Per NCL:

Traveling with Minors and Young Adults:

Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

Minors ? an individual under the age of 18 on the day of embarkation/boarding.

Young Adult? an individual between the ages of 18 and 20.

More info can be found here: https://www.ncl.com/faq%2523age-requirements

That's their rules - you have to play by them (regardless of those who think such rules are ridiculous). However, many have suggested how you can reasonably and appropriately circumnavigate them by booking with this rule in mind.

Maybe I'm a prude, but my college-aged kid wouldn't be shacking up with her boyfriend on my trip anyway, especially when I'm not even sure how steady the relationship is. I mean, obviously kids do stuff like this, but it's hardly appropriate for a family vacation. Yeah, I guess I'm a prude. Whatever.

Guess it's a good thing she's not your kid then?

Different strokes and all... As far as I see it, they are adults, they can do what they want. If I'm paying for a cruise and I don't want them to share a room, that's my choice. If they want to come along and pay their own way - that's their choice.

Lucky for them, the OP wants to pay and is understanding of the fact that they are adults!

True, I could leave them at home but I'm not ignorant of the fact that they would be staying together anyway. Even though it's been several decades since I was that age, I know what I would have been doing then. At least this way, they get to enjoy a vacation with us. And we The parents) get to enjoy time with them. They will be 20 years old when the cruise happens. I mean, I joined the Marines at 18 so...