Dinner (especially solo) and shows

squick64

I'm booked on NCL Escape this summer. Just for introduction's sake, I'm traveling alone in a studio cabin. I have the drinks package and a 3-meal speciality dining package, and I've already reserved my excursions (I waste no time, I guess?).

Shows: This'll be the first cruise I've been on where you have to reserve shows in advance. I'm not sure if I should? I'm actually getting bored of these decade-themed musical numbers that all the lines do now. Is one or more of these shows really worth it? I know there's no charge (just a reservation), so there's no harm? But I notice they do karaoke and newlywed games around the same time in the evening, and I love those, so...maybe not? On a similar note, I thought The Supper Club sounded cool when I first heard of it, but now I'm not sure it'd be worth the extra money. Does anyone have any input on that?

Dinner: I know there's a lounge where they arrange for people to get together for dinner. What I was wondering about was specialty dining. As I said, I got the 3-meal dining package, and I thought I'd try Moderno, Teppanyaki, and Cagney's (I may also stop by Food Republic). If I eat in these alone, do I really need reservations? And what happens with the solo meet-ups as far as specialty dining? Is that one of the arrangements made, like, "Hey, I'm going to Teppanyaki tonight, anyone else want to join me?" Because I don't see how that'd work with making reservations in advance. (Of course, turning a 1-person reservation into a 2-person reservation is usually nothing, as tables always seat at least 2.)

Is my choice of restaurants (above) a good one? Also, is Jimmy Buffett's the only place to get a burger (etc.)? At least once on a cruise, I like to grab a burger or hot dog and sit by the pool, but it's not sounding like much of an option on this ship.

There is no harm in reserving the shows. If you don't show up they will go to somebody in stand-by. I just got off the Epic and all of it sells out quickly so having the reservation is a good thing.

Specialty dinning is much the same. The slots really book up once you're on board. I would definitely make the reservations now. You can always change them once on board. We saw the newlywed game and it was pretty funny. You can't go wrong with that one.

I travel solo on the Getaway. Yes, there is lounge and lounge host to help you make arrangements for meals and shows with others. There is also a "Solos Gathering" each evening in one of the bars. I never reserve shows until the day of that show and AFTER I have read the Freestyle Daily to see what the day's and evening's activities are going to be.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

I loved Food Republic so much. Its easy and casual and really great food! You must go their early in the week because you are going to want to return.

As far as the shows, I think the big theme shows on NCL are a huge disappointment now that Jean Ann Ryan is gone. The best way to describe the NCL big shows now is mediocre high school production. As in not even a good high school production!! We walked out of everyone of them on the Escape they were really that bad.

I think the other shows and entertainment on the Escape like the dueling pianos, comedy, the hypnotists and all the entertainment they have in the smaller venues that you can't pre-book before the cruise are the best shows.

Also, is Jimmy Buffett's the only place to get a burger (etc.)? At least once on a cruise, I like to grab a burger or hot dog and sit by the pool, but it's not sounding like much of an option on this ship.

You can get burgers at the Garden Cafe during any meal time and at O'Sheehans 24/7 at no charge. The Margaritaville burgers are priced a la carte, and there are mixed reviews on whether these burgers are any better than the ones available at the buffet/pub.

You could do the Supper Club when Oh What a Night plays and it's free. They have dinner and non-dinner shows. I think the only charge dinner show is the Brenda Braxton cabaret show which I didn't go to.

Food Republic doesn't take reservations nor can you use a SDP credit. I have never had a wait there. Best drinks, food and service on the ship IMO and experience.

I'd make all your dinner res'v for 2 in case you do meet a solo who is interested...might even be possible to add 1 or 2 more if you call.

Happy planning and sailing!

I'm booked on NCL Escape this summer. Just for introduction's sake, I'm traveling alone in a studio cabin. I have the drinks package and a 3-meal speciality dining package, and I've already reserved my excursions (I waste no time, I guess?).

Shows: This'll be the first cruise I've been on where you have to reserve shows in advance. I'm not sure if I should? I'm actually getting bored of these decade-themed musical numbers that all the lines do now. Is one or more of these shows really worth it? I know there's no charge (just a reservation), so there's no harm? But I notice they do karaoke and newlywed games around the same time in the evening, and I love those, so...maybe not? On a similar note, I thought The Supper Club sounded cool when I first heard of it, but now I'm not sure it'd be worth the extra money. Does anyone have any input on that?

Dinner: I know there's a lounge where they arrange for people to get together for dinner. What I was wondering about was specialty dining. As I said, I got the 3-meal dining package, and I thought I'd try Moderno, Teppanyaki, and Cagney's (I may also stop by Food Republic). If I eat in these alone, do I really need reservations? And what happens with the solo meet-ups as far as specialty dining? Is that one of the arrangements made, like, "Hey, I'm going to Teppanyaki tonight, anyone else want to join me?" Because I don't see how that'd work with making reservations in advance. (Of course, turning a 1-person reservation into a 2-person reservation is usually nothing, as tables always seat at least 2.)

Is my choice of restaurants (above) a good one? Also, is Jimmy Buffett's the only place to get a burger (etc.)? At least once on a cruise, I like to grab a burger or hot dog and sit by the pool, but it's not sounding like much of an option on this ship.

The Teppanyaki, you will be seated at a huge table with others. That's just how it's done at any Japanese Steakhouse. The other restaurants, you will probably not have tablemates, unless you meet folks and you all decide to eat there together..

I sailed in late January on Epic in a studio - from my experience, I would definitely recommend you make your dining and entertainment reservations now. You should have Burn the Floor and Rock of Ages as main shows, yes? I've seen BTF on Epic and Getaway now, and would see it again tomorrow. And I've heard great things about Rock of Ages. IMHO, the entertainment options on NCL are just getting better and better. Legally Blonde surprised the heck out of me, and Priscilla Queen of the Desert was amazing! Make those reservations, and go see the shows! If you change your mind, you can always cancel or be a no-show.

As far as dining, I'm happy I made my Le Bistro and Cagney's reservations early - they booked up fast! My reservations were all for one, but I was always seated at a 2 person table. If you think you might want to bring a guest, make the reservation for 2. You'll be covered either way.

Wish I had some advice about specialty dining and the solo gatherings. I had every intention of going at least once early on, but never found time. :( There was just always something happening at the same time, and I never seemed to make it. But I still loved my studio cabin, and had the best time on Epic. That was the largest ship I've sailed on to date, and I can't wait to sail on her again! Hope you enjoy the Escape as much as I enjoyed Epic. :)

I've travelled solo on Epic, Getaway and Jade. You definitely need reservations for Teppanyaki and Cagneys. Moderno is easier to get into, and I saw the solo gathering booking tables there (although there was limited take-up). The other one you may want to consider is Le Bistro - it tends to see-saw with Cagneys as to which is better.

You can usually find space in the shows after the first few nights without reservations, and avoiding the last night. They're easily booked on board so you can leave that until you see the daily activities and then book a few hours ahead.

Burgers are all over the place. You won't lack for food options.