Does anybody have experience with bringing a 28" suitcase as a carry on?

Tiger0613

I am just wondering if anyone was hassled about bringing that large of a bag as a carry on.

In Galveston in February we completely missed where to drop off the big bags and ended up taking all of our bags through security. DW had a 28" bag and I had a 25" bag, no issues either fitting or getting on the boat, no hassles either from anyone, but a few folks did laugh at us (in a fun and caring manner) for having so much stuff!

You don't have to check a 28" bag on Amtrak. The bag is within the carry-on size limits. There is a storage area for larger carry-ons in each compartment.

Amtrak's Carry-On Bag Policy:

Each passenger may bring two personal items, 25 lbs. (12 kg) and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each, and two carry-on items, 50 lbs. (23 kg) and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each, onboard. Make sure you have a tag with your name and address on the outside of all your bags.

I will have one 28" spinner and one 22" backpack. My mom will have one 24" spinner and one large tote bag. In addition to my clothes, all of our bulky items(two jackets, my hoodie, my mom's sweater, and possibly two throw blankets) will be in my 28" bag. If I was flying, I could get by with my 22" backpack and a 17" spinner.

I'd be more concerned about leaving my large bag in an open train luggage rack than I would be checking at the port! We used porters to change trains and even our two little bags were a bit of a pain....those platforms can be long and far apart. Of course YMMV!

Have a great trip!