Does anybody have experience with bringing a 28" suitcase as a carry on?

Tiger0613

Has anyone ever tried to carry on a 28" suitcase? Did port employees try to tell you that you were required to check the bag(any port but particularly Seattle)? I called the Port of Seattle and they said that it would work, but I wanted to hear your experiences.

I am still trying to get FTTF, but no luck so far. I don't mind having to roll the bag around until 1:30pm. I have two reasons. First, I am a little paranoid and possessive. I don't want to let the bag out of my sight until I get to my cabin. Second, I bought a new bag and I want to use it.

Also, my mom doesn't like flying, so we are taking Amtrak from New Orleans to Seattle(changing trains in Chicago). That is four days/three nights there and four days/three nights back. We will be gone for a total of 16 days. I do plan on doing laundry twice(once in Seattle and once on the ship), but I still need more space than what is in my 17" bag. My mom will probably put her jacket in my bag as well as any of her other bulkier items.

I don't want to buy a 24"/25" bag so soon if I can help it. It is looking like I will have to add an extra night in Orlando when I go to Disney World this year. A new, decent quality bag on sale would cost about the same as the extra night in a hotel.

You just need to be sure it's not wider than 24" when you lay it flat for "side to side measurement". It also needs to fit through the scanner so it can't be taller than 16" when laying flat - I guess that is the depth measurement to help it make sense. The length at 28" doesn't matter. Measure to be sure you can fit. measure with it fully expanded just in case you have to use that for your trip there.

I would also suggest getting a set of packing cubes to make the bag fit more so you just need one. Amazon or ebags sells them.

Have fun!

I have three large eBags packing cubes. I also have a 2pc set of Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter compression cubes, a small Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter garment folder, and an Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter tube cube. I got them all from Amazon(either with gift cards or a Lightning Deal).

I am just wondering if anyone was hassled about bringing that large of a bag as a carry on.

In Galveston we have seen them tell people they had to check their large bags without even trying to see if they fit in the scanner. In fact in January, they didn't even make it in the door of the terminal with a full size bag.

I would much rather check my bag at the curb and see it at my cabin door than schlep it through security, and then have to drag it up and around the gangway. There is nothing in there that I am that attached to. Anything important is in our carry on bags. I always buy travel insurance and would have no problem buying all new stuff.

Go ahead and try your bag...the worst that can happen is it has to be checked and can't be carried on. Just in case, bring along a zippered tote bag or extra large beach bag that you fill with all your valuables and irreplaceables and make it the last item you pack. Then, if you have to check your large bag you can remove and carry on the tote.

No it won't help the worry-wart in you that wants control over your luggage, but it will allow you to use what you have and to get on the ship. I've been traveling extensively for over 50 years and have never-ever lost any luggage, if that helps ease your mind.

One advantage to schlepping your luggage on board is to avoid the mishandling they will do to luggage.

We have gone thru several good pieces of luggage over the years due to this and these days dont buy anything expensive.

The most I have ever paid for a suitcase is $141.30(after tax). I got it for roughly half off in May 2012. It is a 28" that I affectionately call my "purple monster".

Last September on my way to Disney World, the section of the hard plastic frame underneath the top carry handle was broken. Now there is no resistance when I grab the top handle. It is now useless for anything other than trips where I handle the bags myself. I don't want to let it near an airline baggage handler. The handle would be missing when I got the bag back. Either the Greyhound baggage handler in Baton Rouge or the taxi driver that got us to the station broke it.

It only has two wheels. I despise large spinner bags. I don't mind them if it is a carry on. If a wheel is missing from a carry on, then it would just be my fault. I don't want to have to go through the damage claims process. Delayed baggage was stressful enough.

I have found it to be impossible to find another 28" deep purple softside two-wheeled suitcase in a decent brand. Ricardo Beverly Hills doesn't make my model anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
You just need to be sure it's not wider than 24" when you lay it flat for "side to side measurement". It also needs to fit through the scanner so it can't be taller than 16" when laying flat - I guess that is the depth measurement to help it make sense. The length at 28" doesn't matter. Measure to be sure you can fit. measure with it fully expanded just in case you have to use that for your trip there.

I would also suggest getting a set of packing cubes to make the bag fit more so you just need one. Amazon or ebags sells them.

Have fun!

This confuses me. Not sure what taller is. Can you explain? Is high how thick it is? My 29" tall piece always gets checked. Is a bag 27" standing too big for carry on?

Has anyone ever tried to carry on a 28" suitcase? Did port employees try to tell you that you were required to check the bag(any port but particularly Seattle)? I called the Port of Seattle and they said that it would work, but I wanted to hear your experiences.

I am still trying to get FTTF, but no luck so far. I don't mind having to roll the bag around until 1:30pm. I have two reasons. First, I am a little paranoid and possessive. I don't want to let the bag out of my sight until I get to my cabin. Second, I bought a new bag and I want to use it.

Also, my mom doesn't like flying, so we are taking Amtrak from New Orleans to Seattle(changing trains in Chicago). That is four days/three nights there and four days/three nights back. We will be gone for a total of 16 days. I do plan on doing laundry twice(once in Seattle and once on the ship), but I still need more space than what is in my 17" bag. My mom will probably put her jacket in my bag as well as any of her other bulkier items.

I don't want to buy a 24"/25" bag so soon if I can help it. It is looking like I will have to add an extra night in Orlando when I go to Disney World this year. A new, decent quality bag on sale would cost about the same as the extra night in a hotel.

ignore the agressive porters at the terminal and follow the carnival guidlines below...

Carry-On Luggage

Guests are encouraged to limit their luggage to two suitcases per guest. For those guests who wish to carry on luggage, it must fit through the security screening machine. When laying flat, it must not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide (40.64cm x 60.96cm); the length of the bag is not a factor. Anything larger, must be checked-in with a curbside porter. We suggest that all luggage be unlocked and have a Carnival luggage tag attached listing the guest's name and stateroom number.

It's too big!!!

Here is the Carnival luggage size allowance for carry on:

Carry-On Luggage

Guests are encouraged to limit their luggage to two suitcases per guest. For those guests who wish to carry on luggage, it must fit through the security screening machine. When laying flat, it must not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide (40.64cm x 60.96cm); the length of the bag is not a factor. Anything larger, must be checked-in with a curbside porter. We suggest that all luggage be unlocked and have a Carnival luggage tag attached listing the guest's name and stateroom number.

This confuses me. Not sure what taller is. Can you explain? Is high how thick it is? My 29" tall piece always gets checked. Is a bag 27" standing too big for carry on?

From Carnival site:

Carry-On Luggage

We always carry our bags on. As long as you meet the "depth and width" guideline you should have no issue. Most time we go straight through with no hassle.

Everyone feels differently about why you should or should not, but if you want to, then do it. We always did it in the beginning because we didn't want to wait for our luggage or want it damaged or misplaced (almost every cruise a letter goes out about a "missing" bag - have you seen it lol!). Now that we are platinum, we still do it because I prefer to have my stuff under my control and do not want the suitecases damaged in any way.

The porters have, on many occasions, told us "they won't let you on with that" and I just kept walking and went right in.

Measure your bag and if it is within their guidelines, then carry it on. If a porter tries to stop you say "I'm good" and keep walking. If someone at the door to the terminal questions it, tell them "it meets your guidelines" and quote them to them.

Should have no issues.

I carried my "medium" size luggage on with me for the first time last cruise. I too was concerned with whether they would stop me & insist that I check it - so, I made a copy of CCL's info on luggage size & brought it with me as a "just in case." I wasn't stopped so didn't need it.

It was great carrying it on - I'm platinum so I can take it right to my cabin upon boarding - grab a quick lunch and then unpack everything & put it away well before boat drill. I'll do my best to pack light enough to do this for all future cruises.

I just don't understand the need to have your large luggage at your side. I get Having a carry-on with the "necessary" stuff. Even if your status allows early room access, why bother?

For me, it's about not wanting to let my bag out of my sight. I have been able to put up with it when flying, but I don't like being unable to control what happens to my belongings.

Also, if I checked my large luggage, I would have to wait for it. Even priority delivery is not fast enough to calm my nerves.

Now about the train....we just took Amtrak home from California after a Hawaii cruise. The sleeping compartments can't handle a big bag. We had a standard carry on and a duffle bag. On one train they just fit under the made up bed and on the other we had to sleep with them on the ends of the beds. You'll need to check the 28 incher on the train, even if you don't have to on the ship.

The train trip was great, though!

Now about the train....we just took Amtrak home from California after a Hawaii cruise. The sleeping compartments can't handle a big bag. We had a standard carry on and a duffle bag. On one train they just fit under the made up bed and on the other we had to sleep with them on the ends of the beds. You'll need to check the 28 incher on the train, even if you don't have to on the ship.

The train trip was great, though!

You don't have to check a 28" bag on Amtrak. The bag is within the carry-on size limits. There is a storage area for larger carry-ons in each compartment.

Amtrak's Carry-On Bag Policy:

Each passenger may bring two personal items, 25 lbs. (12 kg) and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each, and two carry-on items, 50 lbs. (23 kg) and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each, onboard. Make sure you have a tag with your name and address on the outside of all your bags.

I will have one 28" spinner and one 22" backpack. My mom will have one 24" spinner and one large tote bag. In addition to my clothes, all of our bulky items(two jackets, my hoodie, my mom's sweater, and possibly two throw blankets) will be in my 28" bag. If I was flying, I could get by with my 22" backpack and a 17" spinner.