is the dress code strictly enforced on the QM2 Norway Fjord cruise?

dimiegirl

We are interested in booking the QM2 8 night fjord cruise from southampton.... We have only been on Celebrity, Princess and Royal. We are not fond of dressing up, however we always dress respectable (business casual) except for the formal nights which my husband will wear a shirt and tie and dress pants.

Will business casual be acceptable for the informal nights and around the ship or if formal wear truly required. Please advise. Thank you very much.

We are interested in booking the QM2 8 night fjord cruise from southampton.... We have only been on Celebrity, Princess and Royal. We are not fond of dressing up, however we always dress respectable (business casual) except for the formal nights which my husband will wear a shirt and tie and dress pants. Will business casual be acceptable for the informal nights and around the ship or if formal wear truly required. Please advise. Thank you very much.
Hi dimiegirl,

Please excuse my ignorance, I've no idea what "business casual" involves, my fault I'm sure :o .

In order not to be confined to room service in your cabin, or the self-serve casual buffet (and one bar) each evening, your husband will need to wear a jacket around the ship (not just the restaurant, but all public rooms) each and every evening. On formal evenings this will need to be a dark suit and tie (or dinner suit).

You say that you are "not fond of dressing up" and yet you are looking at the most formal of lines; Cunard. I have to ask, would you be happier going with Celebrity, Princess or Royal Caribbean to Norway? If you sail with Cunard, "casual" is fine during the day, but not in the evenings.

With Cunard, "formal" does not mean a shirt, tie and trousers ("dress pants") only. It really means "formal".

Even "informal" on Cunard is more formal than many other cruise lines' "formal"!!!

Hope this helps :)

Edited by pepperrn

We are interested in booking the QM2 8 night fjord cruise from southampton.... We have only been on Celebrity, Princess and Royal. We are not fond of dressing up, however we always dress respectable (business casual) except for the formal nights which my husband will wear a shirt and tie and dress pants.

Will business casual be acceptable for the informal nights and around the ship or if formal wear truly required. Please advise. Thank you very much.

Yes Cunard is very strict with "Their" dress code. On informal evening throughout the ship except the cafeteria and a side lounge, all gentlemen are required to wear and keep on a jacket. and have long trousers other then of the jean material. Ladies are also expected to be suitably attired. On formal evenings, either a tuxedo or a Dark suit with tie and proper dress shirt is required of all gentlemen again with the exception of the cafeteria and side lounge. Ladies are also expected to be appropriately attired. The rest of the ship is off limits and you may be spoken to by either staff or offended passengers.

Dressing to the code is hardly onerous and it greatly adds to the overall atmosphere of the evenings. To violate the code shows poor taste as one, now that they have asked, knows what is expected.

I can't speak for a Norway cruise on the QM2, but I was recently on a QE Norway cruise and the dress code, as published, was observed by almost all. Little enforcement was necessary. On the first night there was one gent at a neighbouring table in the Princess Grill who came to dinner without a jacket. (There's always one, isn't there?:)) He was not turned away but discreetly spoken to and he didn't do it again.

For informal, he'll still need a jacket(without the tie) For formal nights he should wear a tux or dark suit. He can get away with a suit coat & tie. A suit coat IS required on formal nights. A "blazer" & tie really doesn't cut it. The dress code is ship wide, not just the MDR like on some other lines.

Thank you to all who have responded. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. It seems that Cunard is a bit too formal for us. I am glad I checked first before booking it.

A suit coat is too tough to take along? I then suggest a less formal line. Most of us DO choose Cunard, as we like the tradition of dressing properly for dinner, as it was done on the old ocean liners of the past.

Yes Cunard is very strict with "Their" dress code. On informal evening throughout the ship except the cafeteria and a side lounge, all gentlemen are required to wear and keep on a jacket. and have long trousers other then of the jean material. Ladies are also expected to be suitably attired. On formal evenings, either a tuxedo or a Dark suit with tie and proper dress shirt is required of all gentlemen again with the exception of the cafeteria and side lounge. Ladies are also expected to be appropriately attired. The rest of the ship is off limits and you may be spoken to by either staff or offended passengers.

Dressing to the code is hardly onerous and it greatly adds to the overall atmosphere of the evenings. To violate the code shows poor taste as one, now that they have asked, knows what is expected.

Every cruise line has their "Shtick". With Cunard it is "properly" dressing for dinner & a show. It surprises me when people just don't seem to realize this. I mean look at brochures or even on line.

Thank you to all who have responded. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. It seems that Cunard is a bit too formal for us. I am glad I checked first before booking it.

Hi dimiegirl. I applaud your asking questions regarding the dress code prior to booking.

But just to mention that having read this forum for years, I know that there are frequent passengers who choose to wear casual clothes only, with the understanding that limits the areas of the ship they can frequent after 6pm.

However, my understanding is that having dinner in Kings Court, relaxing in the Carinthia Lounge after, followed by a stroll on the deck before retiring for the evening is no hardship after a day on the Queen Mary 2. No jacket or tie required. :)

Hopefully, you will give added thought to your decision. It's a big ship - there's room for us all.

Whatever you decide - bon voyage.

Salacia

Hi dimiegirl. I applaud your asking questions regarding the dress code prior to booking.

But just to mention that having read this forum for years, I know that there are frequent passengers who choose to wear casual clothes only, with the understanding that limits the areas of the ship they can frequent after 6pm.

However, my understanding is that having dinner in Kings Court, relaxing in the Carinthia Lounge after, followed by a stroll on the deck before retiring for the evening is no hardship after a day on the Queen Mary 2. No jacket or tie required. :)

Hopefully, you will give added thought to your decision. It's a big ship - there's room for us all.

Whatever you decide - bon voyage.

Salacia

I think Dimiegirl made the right decision and has shown a degree of respect of those Cunarders who value the ambiance on board.

It would be rather silly paying premium prices and being excluded from so much of the ship.

Having said that wouldn't it be fun if 2000+ avoided the formal evenings. All that drink at CTPs for just 600 of us. :halo:

I think Dimiegirl made the right decision and has shown a degree of respect of those Cunarders who value the ambiance on board.

It would be rather silly paying premium prices and being excluded from so much of the ship.

Having said that wouldn't it be fun if 2000+ avoided the formal evenings. All that drink at CTPs for just 600 of us. :halo:

Ok, let's review:

The dress code applies from 6pm onwards.

Not surprisingly, there are passengers ready for bed by 10pm - sometimes earlier. Some return to their cabin, read a book, watch a movie or just stare at the sea. Others do what comes naturally to people in love - and for some that does not include dressing in formal attire, if you catch my drift.

So I see no reason why people should avoid QM2 because of the evening dress code. Frankly, when it comes to ocean voyages - it's safety first. And as I see it, QM2 is not only the safest ocean liner - she's the ONLY ocean liner. Just my opinion.

Happy sails,

Salacia