Walking to Terminal for Breakway

Maplemoose

I know there is an old thread about this but I wanted to get a recent confirmation. We will be within walking distance of Pier 88 (presuming that is still where Breakaway embarks in NYC). Google street view shows a crosswalk from 48th St. across 12th Ave. to the pier. It also shows a chainlink fence blocking any entrance to said pier. The old posts said that the fence is opened on the day of departure. Has anyone out there walked on lately? I would hate to get there and then have to flag a taxi down to go back up 12th Ave. and down the pier road. Thanks.

Whenever there is a ship in port, that gate is open. When you arrive, drop your bags to the porter next to the elevator. take the elevator up one floor to the checkin area. In this google maps street view, the gate is open:

Capture.png

I know there is an old thread about this but I wanted to get a recent confirmation. We will be within walking distance of Pier 88 (presuming that is still where Breakaway embarks in NYC). Google street view shows a crosswalk from 48th St. across 12th Ave. to the pier. It also shows a chainlink fence blocking any entrance to said pier. The old posts said that the fence is opened on the day of departure. Has anyone out there walked on lately? I would hate to get there and then have to flag a taxi down to go back up 12th Ave. and down the pier road. Thanks.

I was in NYC on Wednesday, so I drove by the terminal to to get a first hand look. It is very busy with traffic and seems complicated.

I decided that after I park the car in a garage on 42nd Street, we will catch a cab or Uber, and get driven right to the terminal.

Here's a picture from the Taxi stand, on the northbound side of 12th Avenue just before 48th Street, Pier 88 is across the wide Avenue - there is a big safety island in the middle of the crosswalk for slower ones to wait - instead of rushing to make it across, as on ship days - almost everyone is doing their weight exercises ;p

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/MCT%20Pier%2090%20-%20IMG0265.jpg

The gate/sliding chain linked fence is open early on ship days - no problems for access or egress. For those coming from uptown & doing the left turn onto the pier's departure (level 2) - traffic is known to backup, 10 to 15 minutes are not unusual - while your taxi's meter continue to run ... tick, tick, tick. Coming south on the Henry Hudson Parkway - the backup isn't as bad ... part of the delays from port security screening vehicles coming in & slowly down traffic at the entrance ramp area on street level as bus/motorcoaches & sometimes taxi/car services are directe dto stay right for dropoff on the arrival/street level. Usually, embarkation pax are to drive up the ramp.

There are giant elevators and also escalators to go up/down between street level & level 2, rooftop parking on level 3 is only reachable by elevators ... unless you are driving straight up to park there.

I was in NYC a couple of months ago on a Sunday and wandered to this area when the Breakaway was in port.

I crossed 12th Ave at about 50th street at a signalled crossing and there was good access to the port just a little way south from there.

You should have no problem.