Zaandam - evening entertainment options?

bleacher04

Hello all,

We will be sailing on the Zaandam in a few weeks, our first cruise on an R-class ship; prior to this cruise we have only sailed on Vista- and Signature-class HAL ships. I was reviewing the deck plans and I was wondering about options for evening entertainment? There is the main theatre of course, but I don't see any area that would be suitable for a BB Kings type show. What is the Wajang Theatre used for in the evenings? There looks to be a piano bar on Deck 5, but it's not labelled as such.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated!

Thanks

There is entertainment on the Zaandam at night, in a variety of locales.

As you noticed, there is a show in the main show lounge. As you exit on Upper Promenade, the Ocean Bar is on starboard, and there should be a trio playing dance music in there. Further aft, the Piano Lounge (could have been converted to The Mix; I can't recall) has a piano player. And further aft still the Explorers Lounge has light classical music. Their schedule may have them earlier in the evening these days.

The Wajang Theatre shows movies on a large screen. Sight lines are very good in there as the seats are staggered in the rows, and the floor has a slope to it.

As you noticed, there is a show in the main show lounge. As you exit on Upper Promenade, the Ocean Bar is on starboard, and there should be a trio playing dance music in there. Further aft, the Piano Lounge (could have been converted to The Mix; I can't recall) has a piano player. And further aft still the Explorers Lounge has light classical music. Their schedule may have them earlier in the evening these days.

The Wajang Theatre shows movies on a large screen. Sight lines are very good in there as the seats are staggered in the rows, and the floor has a slope to it.

Thank you Ruth!

The previous post says it all, with options on the Zaandam. I was on the Zaandam last fall, and many cruisers were impressed with the quality of the shows offered in the big theater! There were different shows every night with different themes, and the ship also brought in some local talent when near Buenos Aires--great tango show! The trio playing in the Ocean Lounge was very good and some of them participated in the nightly shows. Enjoy!

I spent 70+ days on Zaandam in last two years. Unless something has changed recently I have to respectfully disagree that the sight lines in the Wajang theatre are very good. Over and over I went to see movies and unless you sit in the front row, the screen is placed so low that for most of the movies I saw the silhouettes of passengers heads was on the bottom foot or so of the screen...very annoying especially if movie had subtitles.

Why oh why they can't raise the screen a foot or two to eliminate this is a mystery. I looked at it closely and there is room to raise the screen....something it seems that maintenance could do in about ten minutes.