Teeming River Cruises

FuelScience

Has anyone looked at Teeming River Cruises? It's a private budget startup that is offering what appear to be bare-bones cruises. I heard about them from River Cruise Advisor. They're currently offering an Amsterdam to Budapest cruise starting at US$1,699. It appears that tours are not included, but a phone app will be available for self-guided tours at all or most stops.

http://www.teemingrivercruises.com/

A couple of thoughts, Fuel Science.

The ship: the Royal Crown is an older vessel, from 1996. Fully refurbished, she has been modernized, but has a few things that I read about which show she is a littler older, like reviews suggesting water pressure for the showers is not adequate at "peak times". I was on the Royal Crown a few years ago (a chance "meeting" at a dock) and she looked splendid to me, very inviting decor.

From what they told me on board, the Royal Crown is a littler higher than other vessels making navigating low bridges in high water a problem sooner than it is with other ships. Low water should not be an issue as she is only 110m long which normally means a lower draft.

I think the company is doing well in offering their first cruise at a time of year when neither of these problems arise. How will they fare when they extend their business? Imagine sitting in a harbour for three days without bus options and without them having arranged air fare. But that will be a thing of the future.

They have got the company River Advice as manager of the ship's daily operations which gives me much confidence.

Unfortunately, the Royal Crown was tangled up in legal matters and had some problems a couple of years ago, but this seems all rectified now, I have read itineraries on the Royal Crown since my last post in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1952466

By the way, this type of cruise is what I did in 2013. I arranged my own travel to the ship in Passau and pre-booked some excursion while deciding on the others onboard. There was no unlimited alcohol served. the cruise was anything but all-inclusive. A standard on the German market. The last few years have brought a move to a more inclusive experience.

The MS Royal Crown is of a similar style and age as the MS River Queen chartered by Uniworld.

A very enterprising couple. I wish them gook luck for their business venture. And I hope the Royal Crown will be in great shape for many years to come.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

notamermaid,

Thanks for all your work tracing the heritage of the Royal Crown. I agree that the couple who have started Teeming are indeed taking a risk. The ship looked very nice in the photos on their web site. I wonder if they might appeal to a younger, more independent crowd with their low prices and do-it-yourself smart phone apps for city tours.

Like you, i wish them good luck, smooth sailing, and prime docking locations in their new venture!

notamermaid,

I just noticed the following statement in the FAQ section of their web site:

We plan on adding another cruise in the fall and some Christmas Market cruises as well for the end of 2017, with an eye to even further expansion in 2018. We are currently working on our schedule for the entire 2018 season and/or other custom dates.

So right now, they just have the one cruise planned!

• 4 weeks later...

Reminder -- Cruise Line executives, PR Teams, Social Media Gurus and other staff members are encouraged to participate on Cruise Critic forums. After registering, please contact our Community Manager at community@cruisecritic.com to validate your account as "official".