First Time Cruiser - Two Basic Questions

lizbuff93

Hubby and I are going on first cruise ever. Vantage Danube Discovery from Vienna to Bucharest - 15 days. I couldn't find the answer to these questions anywhere so here goes. I have naturally very curly hair. Is it windy on the Danube? If so, I will probably invest in a couple of silk scarves if I don't want to look like I've been in a wind tunnel.

We will be visiting Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania. I don't have huge flashy diamonds, but I'm wondering if it would be better to leave them at home and just wear my gold wedding band. We've traveled all over the UK but this will be our first trip out of our comfort zone. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. We are SO looking forward to our trip!

We were on Vantage from Budapest to Bucharest last year, you should have a very nice time.

I can't really comment on the hair part.

Nice Jewelry- I'd leave it at home. One women on our cruise had her purse stolen in Belgrade, complete with passport.

I'm not saying that it is unsafe or dangerous, but things do happen. It could be lost at the airport or left in a taxi just as easy. To me, it's just one less thing to worry about.

Enjoy.

Hi Liz.

We did a similar trip last Fall.

It is safest to have a resto, hotel or whoever call a cab for you. Flagging one on the street can be verrrryy costly.

You don't need a silk scarf.

Here are examples of scarfs in Middle and Eastern Europe

https://www.google.com/search?q=babushka&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs8M3T7MfSAhVJJiYKHVFZA3UQ_AUICCgB&biw=1331&bih=690

Ira

Hi Liz.

We did a similar trip last Fall.

It is safest to have a resto, hotel or whoever call a cab for you. Flagging one on the street can be verrrryy costly.

You don't need a silk scarf.

Here are examples of scarfs in Middle and Eastern Europe

https://www.google.com/search?q=babushka&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs8M3T7MfSAhVJJiYKHVFZA3UQ_AUICCgB&biw=1331&bih=690

Ira

Those are like my Grandmas babushka! She was from Czechoslovakia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cruise boats travel at 15-20 mph. It's going to be windy on the sun deck, just from that.

--Dav

From our own experience and everything I've read is that river cruise ships go 8-10 knots/hr. No way 15-20mph!

Yeap.

Apparent wind could easily get to 20

While winds could approach that speed, the river ships speeds are only max about 11kn and average speed is around 7-8 knots. See marinetrafficdotcom if you want to see the ships speeds.

I agree on the jewelry responses. Just take costume jewelry with you. I wear a medic-alert bracelet so I only take one or two more and a few sterling silver necklaces. Rings are also sterling silver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are up on the top deck, then your hair will get blown about some what. Take the scarf, it wont take up much room in your suitcase. Or, treat yourself to a lovely one as a memento of your trip! I'm hoping to do this same trip in the next couple of years. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

We never encountered any wind in Aug 2015, it maybe we were lucky. I recommend taking a scarf or pashmina in case you become cool in the bus etc. I always use hairspray so had no hair issues lol. Jewellery wasn't an issue at all, but I didn't wear anything flashy other than my engagement ring. Most of the time you're in a group which probably protects you a little. Mostly you're completely safe, but situations can occur.... anywhere at any time, just like home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are up on the top deck, then your hair will get blown about some what. Take the scarf, it wont take up much room in your suitcase.

I agree...

As far as the jewelry goes - it really depends on the person and their comfort level. Everyone is different obviously, but when we travel I typically wear my plain gold wedding band and small gold hoop earrings. Sometimes I will bring some costume pieces if I want to change things up for evening/dinner etc

I would be heartbroken if any of my real jewelry got stolen/lost - so I don't risk it. But that's just me.