Wifi phone call

lumpyi

Do I need to add an international plan from my phone carrier (Verizon) before I leave home to use my phone or can I just follow the steps above? I also have an unlimited internet package.

You don't need an international plan for WiFi calling while using your unlimited package. It is like you are calling from home. The same plan.

If you plan to use your phone in the ports while on cellular you would need an international plan.

On both my Android phone and tablet (which is WIFI only) I have connected to WIFI on the ship and using the HANGOUTS app I have made free calls to the US from a deck chair on sea days and from various Caribbean islands without signing up for any international plans with Verizon. You are using VOI (voice over internet) to make the calls and are not using a calling plan involving roaming.

Our two phones (one with AT&T and one with Sprint) will do wifi calls here in the US. We were not able to make wifi calls onboard the ship or elsewhere outside of the US. As such, you may need an app to enable the phone to work on wifi.

If you have a phone that can do WiFi calling you don't need an app. Not all phones can do it. I am on AT&T and have made WiFi calls on three cruises and outside the US at WiFi hotspots in ports since AT&T allowed WiFi calling. WiFi calling will work on iPhone 6 and later if enabled correctly. It will also work on recent Android phones. No app required on those phones.

Hi

What happens if I receive a call and my phone is on Wi-Fi calling? Can I answer it and not be charged?

Do you leave data roaming on or off? Thanks.

You will be on the same plan you have at home. If you have unlimited voice you won't be charged for calls received or made.

You should leave data roaming off which it should be by default. Off is the default. You will be in Airplane Mode with WiFi turned on so you won't roam anyway but there is no reason to ever turn data roaming on unless you need to roam on cellular service. As an example I will in London for four days. I may buy an International Day Pass from AT&T which costs $10 a day. That will mean roaming has to be on if I want email or the web, which is included in my day pass, so I will turn data roaming on but I should not forget to turn it off when that is over. So I don't accidentally rack up data charges someplace, sometime.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will need an app to connect to someone at home since they won't be connected to the ship's wifi. People on the ship's wifi would be able to connect to each other direct without using any app since they're on the same wifi ?

We made wifi calls to home (US Cell #) all the way from Hawaii to Sydney last fall. No charges.

We are also Samsung users on Tmobile network.