Vent: I am feeling like NCL doesn't really want to deal with disabled people much...

careyayn22

I've never tried to book a trip for people with disabilities and based on your experience it sounds like Norwegian's reaction was disappointing.... but I don't know how much people really consider how much the ADA has shaped the US. Its an incredibly handicap friendly place. Internationally they don't have similar requirements so the cruise line is a bit at the mercy of what's available locally. Finding wheelchair friendly buses/vans is likely difficult and many businesses And attractions may not have ramps. So without knowing what other cruise lines offer in those locations it's hard to know how much of this is NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

CaryAyn, I'm so sorry about what you are going through. My mother died in 2014 and I'm caring for my 92 year old father, so I totally understand how overwhelming all of this can be. Here is some help for you:

This website contains lists of accessible shore excursions for Costa Maya and Cozumel:

http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com

Harvest Caye is NCL's private island. What I would suggest you do for that day is to rent one of the cabanas. Watch this video to learn about Harvest Caye:

Here is information for Roatan:

http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/roatan-accessible-tours-and-cruise-excursions

http://www.accessvi.com/tours/roatan.htm

Thank you Suitetraveller for those links. Very helpful! . I am sorry for the loss of your mother.

I did ask the excursion person about the rental cabana and he said we can only have six people. I don't care if we all fit, but they must.

We aren't going to rent two at that price. It is a great idea though. We would get use of the golf carts that way too!

IN Costa Maya the pier area is very nice and would be HC friendly. There is assimilate with the Dolphins area that was quite entertaining for us. It is not an excursion, I understand, but it was a nice way to pass the time. There is some entertainment in the area, too.

In Havest Caye it is very HC friendly, as someone else said. I noticed they even have the balloon tire beach wheelchairs. I dot know if you rent them r how t works, but they were there. There is a section of tropical birds and a wonderful blue morph a butterfly house that you an walk through. Again, not an excursion, but informational and very pretty birds and butterflies.

I have done a group trip of about 24 people for 18 years and it can drive you to drink! I have found some very good info onthe handicap board. The are nice folks, ask a few specific questions and see what info you can get. FYI, usually Roatan is a pier docking but it can be a tender, which it was on our Februry sailing

I am a full time wheelchair user who has been on 6 cruises while in a chair. I just returned last month from the western cruise on the Getaway. Great ship but was disappointed that one deck is not accessible unless you want to find the right person to get you on a chair lift (I do not like being confined with having to ask) i agree they do not have any or little accessible excursions thru ugh the ship, or it is accessible if you can climb a few steps, which will work for some people but not someone who has not walked in 25 years. You have to figure out what works best for you and your group. In Roatan we hired a tour with Daniel Johnson which included a tour of the island and a stop at his Sloth and Monkey Hangout. They did everything possible to help me transfer and to put my chair (in pieces) in the back and you get to hug a sloth. Harvest Caye is a great island that is easy to navigate and they have beach chairs for free to use. Costa Maya is a shopping site but I found it kind of fun the same for Cozumel unless you feel adventurous and find a taxi that will accommodate you and see the island. It takes a little planning and things do go wrong, Make the best of the situation... your on vacation

I don't think we could change. It was hard enough to find an assessable balcony+ with nearby rooms. This was the third cruise I tried, and we were restricted to June or August and didn't want to get that far into hurricane season if possible. We really wanted southern Caribbean, but it just didn't work out. Europe would have been awesome, but $1600 plane tickets for us and first class tickets for my parents was cost prohibitive. My parents have been to Alaska twice and cruised it once.

I may have just got unhelpful people yesterday. I do hope more excursions open up. I know one of the two handicap accessible excursions is currently not listed for me on the website (a trip of tequila sampling---not really multigenerational friendly.) I think that's it for this cruise, but maybe more level one tours will open.

I think we will do Harvest Caye together, and just book one or two outside tours. Thank you for the recommendations.

As far as info about disabilities, until you've been in charge of organizing and traveling with a multigenerational group that includes limited mobility adults, (and an ADHD kid) you might just not get it. By default, I am in charge of organizing all this and it's incredibly difficult to watch people you love struggle and keep control of the kids and delegate things to the other adults, etc... I'm just trying to know what to expect upon arrival that day and find out what they can do to help smooth things out and make this a pleasant or non-painful experience. I've read a few horror stories of elderly disabled people waiting in line with no where to sit, etc...

Again, thanks for the leads and those who offered some empathy. My post did say "vent." ;-)

There but for the Grace of God go I. Wishing you a very enjoyable and stress free cruise.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk