Any dancing on Zaandam around the Horn?

luxurysailer

We're sailing on the Zaandam around the Horn, embarking 20 March. In reviewing the deck plans today I was unable to find the Queen's Lounge, eliminating that dance floor, nor could I find one in the Crow's Nest. The only dance floor I could find was the tiny one in the Ocean Bar.

Is there any dancing on the Zaandam, and what musical group is providing the music? I've heard that the B.B. King combo plays in the Ocean Bar. Do they play any dance music?

I've heard that the B.B. King combo plays in the Ocean Bar. Do they play any dance music?

My understanding is that the only pre-Vista class ship that has a BB King band is the Rotterdam. They play in the Crow's Nest on that ship.

The Ocean Bar should have dance music after dinner at least on most nights on the Zaandam.

Just off the Zaandam Feb. 21st. There is a culinary center but no BB King. A contemporary combo (nothing like a BBKING band) played late night in the crows nest and there is a small dance floor there. A good foursome form South America played in the Ocean Bar, ballroom with great latin and Argentine tango--great vocalist. There was also a DJ in the Crow's Nest at times-much more low key than a disco venue. Not a lot of dance venues on the Zaandam but the Ocean Bar is your best bet. 3 sets per night, 45 min each. We did have a tango duo who performed, taught in the Crow's nest at 3pm and danced with guests at milongos offered a few evenings in the Ocean Bar-very nice. Don't know if they'll be on your cruise.

Thanks to RuthC and sherifa for your replies. And both with great news! My wife and our lady friends will definitely be packing their dancing shoes.

I hope HAL hasn't discontinued your beloved piano bar, Ruth. I saw no area designated as such.

I hope HAL hasn't discontinued your beloved piano bar, Ruth. I saw no area designated as such.

Sadly, it seems to be the future on HAL. :loudcry:

But remember, the Zaandam never had a real Piano Bar anyway. It came from the shipyard with a Piano Lounge, and always was a very different atmosphere than the Piano Bars on the earlier ships.

However, with what HAL is putting in now, Piano Lounges are looking better and better in the scheme of things.

Please, let us know what you find on the Zaandam.

I did my own dancing when we went around Cape Horn around 6:00 am last fall--I was just so excited to have done that, despite the big waves and high winds! Seriously, there is dancing late in the Crow's Nest and in the Ocean Bar. Have fun!

This will be our second rounding of the Horn. On our "maiden rounding" the seas were about as flat as in a bathtub. That was HAL's first cruise of the season that year, i.e. in the spring as opposed to the beginning of autumn for our upcoming cruise. I have no idea how much time of year affects winds/seas down there, but I just checked the weather in our ports of call: at 1:30PM local time the winds at Punta Arenas were 33 mph and at Ushuaia were 45 mph. If this is a harbinger of what we'll experience, the rounding this year may well be considerably more exciting than previously. We've experienced some pretty bad storms including the tail end of a hurricane off the Canadian maritimes and four days in the Tasman Sea while it threw a hissy fit. Hopefully we'll not have any of that kind of excitement again.