Cabin selection on Uniworld: Enchanting Danube

aleiana

Hi there, my teenager and I have done several ocean cruises with Disney. I am planning our first river cruise on the Danube in summer 2018.

I looked into Adventures by Disney and just went into sticker shock. Thanks to replies to my first post, I did more research and have decided to go with Uniworld, which has a Generations cruise that fits our dates and my desired itinerary (Enchanting Danube and Prague).

My question now is with cabin selection. On our ocean cruises, when we were on board 7+ days, I picked an outside cabin with two small portholes for the daylight. (We were upgraded once to a veranda, which was wonderful, but I don't expect to happen again.) Since all river cruise staterooms have windows, I wanted to ask about the relative cost of the French balcony versus the river view with the small windows up top. Will we spend any time in the cabin actually watching the riverbank go by during the daytime?

Thanks!

That's a fantastic itinerary. I'm not sure what they will offer to the kids, as I can't find the brochure for it.

As far as how much time you'll spend in your cabin-probably very little. We did an abbreviated version of this cruise last year, from Vienna to Passau, and were in our cabin to sleep, and get ready. I would say, save your money.

You'll want to be on the sun deck for the scenic cruising (Wachau Valley, and from Linz to Passau). Other than those times, most of your cruising will be overnight. I would recommend the full day trip to Salzburg. We did this prior to the start of our cruise, independently, and spent two nights there. We loved it.

Robin

The answer depends upon your own expectations. There exist no guarantees that all days will be sunny, warm, and bright as shone in the advertisements. Julys can, in fact, be a bit rainy. Then the sundeck becomes a poor option for sightseeing. That then leaves the lounge as the primary sightseeing area and area of congregation of the cruisers. Now the lounge = alcohol and drinking. Therein, you have a large ® number of people congregated in one area than normal, many of them joyfully consuming alcohol. I have no problem with this personally. However, some parents don't like their, to young to drink, children in a this environment. If you are in that group, then the most comfortable place to watch the river go by, may well be in your cabin. Not easily done, with only the peephole.

You are wise to have chosen Uniworld. Only as an anecdotal experience, I was on a Viking Longship (never again), where we were forced off the sun deck. There is not enough room in their lounge area to handle the 190+ cruisers we had on the ship. The only option of really getting to see the river, and some great scenery, go by was from our cabin. I was certainly glad to have that verandah!

I've sailed Uniworld in aquarium class ( Windows just above the water line) and with a French balcony. Have sailed fall, summer, and winter. To me, the smaller windows are totally fine. We spend very little time in the cabin. There are quiet spots around the ship, as well as the lounge, and I've not encountered any over imbibing passengers that it would be uncomfortable to be around with a teen. If your budget permits, balconies are nice too.

Hi there, my teenager and I have done several ocean cruises with Disney. I am planning our first river cruise on the Danube in summer 2018.

My question now is with cabin selection. On our ocean cruises, when we were on board 7+ days, I picked an outside cabin with two small portholes for the daylight. (We were upgraded once to a veranda, which was wonderful, but I don't expect to happen again.) Since all river cruise staterooms have windows, I wanted to ask about the relative cost of the French balcony versus the river view with the small windows up top. Will we spend any time in the cabin actually watching the riverbank go by during the daytime?

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic... Exciting that you are going to take a river cruise...

Uniworld is wonderful. We have traveled with them 3 times - and would happily travel with them again. We have done 11 river cruises to date - with 2 more booked this year. We have only twice booked outside Aquarium class. The first time was because I was sure I would love a French balcony... the 2nd was because it was the only cabin I could get. For us - it isn't worth the money. I would sooner save the extra funds and put it towards another river cruise.

We do not find that the lounge is full of loud people drinking to excess. We enjoy time spent in the lounge, or up on deck. Even if the weather is not great, not everyone will be in the lounge as there are lots of people who would sooner spend time in their cabin - especially if they have a balcony. The window in the lower cabins provides plenty of light - and we often will use the ledge to dry any small items that we hand-washed. We seldom take advantage of the laundry facilities (if they have them on the boat we are on) or use the laundry service.

Depending on your sailing time, you may not have that many opportunities to see the countryside as you sail past. So - booking a French balcony to see the countryside may be a moot point.

There are many on this board that are quite clear that they wouldn't travel without a balcony - French or "real". If you are used to an outside room with portholes, you should be fine with an entry level cabin.

Fran