Excursion into Tracy Arm worth it?

merman452

I was just wondering if booking a shore excursion into Tracy Arm is worth it. Will I see more than if I just stay on the cruise ship for the 4 hours we will be there for scenic cruising? Does the boat used in the shore excursion go further up Tracy Arm than the cruise ship does?

Yes it's well worth the expense, you'll see a lot more than if you stay on the cruise ship. Yes the excursion boat goes up further into the glacier. Most of the cruise ships only as far as Sawyer island.

@merman452: To clarify.... which ship and sailing are you on?

• Some ships spend the whole day in Tracy Arm as it attempts the 62 mile round trip Fjord in search of Sawyer.
  • Other ships spend 30 minutes at the mouth of Tracy Arm for a quick ocean transfer and then spend the rest of the day in Juneau. Yes, the small boat excursion is highly recommended and often the first to be sold out if you are not pre-booked.

Does anyone know which ships have this excursion offered?

It is limited to ships who go to Tracy Arm or have as service stop for Tracy Arm on their itinerary. Both would be listed on the itinerary. If you have that, you can check your excursions or ask others.

Does anyone know which ships have this excursion offered?

I recently saw 2 different HAL ships offer the excursion. When searching, I entered Tracy Arm into the ports portion of the refine cruise search - the ones that offer a small boat excursion only have a 30 min service call - from my experience on the Volendam.

I can't provide any further assistance on any other cruise lines that may or may not offer this excursion.

On our excursion we saw both the south & north sawyer glaciers, I still feel that that this was my most favorite excursion ever.

I don't know if you have seen it yet, but I have posted a review of Tracy Arm (and the other glacier options) on my travel blog...http://www.zest4travel.wordpress.com There is too much to post here...would clog up the feed! Hope it helps answer some questions.

• 1 month later...

does anyone know what time you transfer from your ship to the Tracy Arms excursion boat? Emerald Princess is in Tracy Arms from 5 AM until 9 but I cannot imagine the excursion boat being there at 5 AM. hoping the transfer is between 8 & 9. the excursion is only 6 hours and the ship does not dock in Juneau until noon.

does anyone know what time you transfer from your ship to the Tracy Arms excursion boat? Emerald Princess is in Tracy Arms from 5 AM until 9 but I cannot imagine the excursion boat being there at 5 AM. hoping the transfer is between 8 & 9. the excursion is only 6 hours and the ship does not dock in Juneau until noon.

If I remember correctly it was about 7:30 or 7:45 that we boarded the small excursion boat up in Tracy Arm, it was up near Sawyer Island that we boarded the boat. We arrived in Juneau around 12:45 or so.

If I remember correctly it was about 7:30 or 7:45 that we boarded the small excursion boat up in Tracy Arm, it was up near Sawyer Island that we boarded the boat. We arrived in Juneau around 12:45 or so.[/quote

thanks for the information. 7:30 is much better than 5:30.!!

If I remember correctly it was about 7:30 or 7:45 that we boarded the small excursion boat up in Tracy Arm, it was up near Sawyer Island that we boarded the boat. We arrived in Juneau around 12:45 or so.[/quote

thanks for the information. 7:30 is much better than 5:30.!!

We mustered in the Princess theater, 2 groups I believe and went out the secret door onto the tender platform and boarded the small boat. It was a Allen Marine boat.

We are on Celebrity Infinity in July - it's does not stop at Tracy Arm. We are booked on a 7 hr round trip excursion out of Juneau to see Tracy Arm, 8:30-3:30 at $239pp (Allen Marine Tours), booked thru Celebrity. So even if your ship's itinerary doesn't include TA, you can still get there if your port time in Juneau allows (luckily ours does). Can't wait!