Celebrity Cruises 14 Day +

Stateroom_Sailor

We're just off the Carnival Pride, 14 Day Repo, Tampa to Baltimore. While Celebrity is our favorite line so far, we like to switch things up, and are itinerary people first and foremost. The first week went well, which was the more port heavy half. Then people seem to be getting bored and irritable, upset at chair hogs in the comedy club, preventing some from being entertained any more than maybe 2 - 4 nights.

I'm talking about a minority here, but people then started putting their worst foot forward. Blatantly cutting lines in the buffet, treating crew like crap (one even threw a plate at them), the F bomb becoming common place in the pool area, people sneezing and coughing without covering, and pushing and shoving. I witness verbal and even physical spousal abuse on the increase.

Many had a wonderful time, but would probably still agree that not everyone could handle a 14 day cruise. I heard from people who noticed a similar problem on 14 day trips to Hawaii on Carnival, and even 14 nights on Royal Caribbean.

I assume that this is not such an issue on Celebrity. Not just from a demographic shift, but due to atmosphere, pace, and independence of the passengers. Hopefully I'm not wrong?

Perhaps this behavior is more common on Carnival, but I've not seen any of this, other than as a rare occurance on any of our longer sailings on RCI or Celebrity. Perhaps it has something to do with the demographics on that particular cruise?

Perhaps this behavior is more common on Carnival, but I've not seen any of this, other than as a rare occurance on any of our longer sailings on RCI or Celebrity. Perhaps it has something to do with the demographics on that particular cruise?

In all honestly, I didn't personally witness all of it myself. Some of this comes from friends we made on board, and social media. I did however see more bad behavior the last week, than my previous 5 cruises combined. Good to know about RCI, they have some great Transatlantic that I would love to do. I did a 7 day and 5 day on Carnival previously, and never had a problem with the passengers. This was an a ship full of retirees, many with higher status with Carnival, but I don't know if that played a factor.

We have been on 16 X cruises, shortest was 11 days longest 18 and have never seen any of the behaviors you described.

We have seen guests being demanding or rude to a crew member on occasion but nothing like you described. It may be that the cruisers on Carnival, and to a lesser extent on Royal, are younger and haven't gotten to the point where they realize that if they are not served first or get the seat of their choice life goes on, it is a vacation not a big deal. There are so many more important things in life.

Hi Stateroom_Sailor,

We've sailed on many Celebrity 14 night itineraries dating back to Constellation, and in recent years - on Eclipse. I'm happy to report that we've never experienced anything overly negative from our fellow passengers - and absolutely nothing like what you've described on your Carnival Pride sailing.

I'd book the Celebrity 14 night sailing in a heartbeat. In fact, we have several booked in 2017 and 2018.

Hope this helps !

More of what we and our close friends witnessed:

- Being sneezed on in the back of the head, without covering or apology.

- A Husband having his knuckles squeezed in the MDR by his wife for talking out of turn. She promised to do it harder the next time. She also had a log of his drinks, and wave her notebook in the air, announcing that her husband had 1 drink left for the night.

- Man waving his fingers at butterflies in a butterfly sanctuary to ruin photographs. "So what? These people get better views of their wings on the walls. I'm doing them a favor"

- My wife got a shoulder shove for not moving fast enough out someone's way, but had a senior on the other side that she didn't want to trample.

- Woman yelling at her husband for being right about the location of their tour bus, reminding everyone that it was a fluke, because he's wrong most of the time.

- A man started caughing in an elevator without covering his mouth, facing passengers.

- Groups of people that were together, pushing past everyone everyone as if they were more important.

- One of our MDR servers was new, and started out great. When passenger behavior turned sour, he turned stressed and paranoid. We even got chased out of the MDR once, afraid that we missed desert, and were angry with him. Not sure why he was so spooked, it wasn't us, but assume someone had.

- Man stood in line at the wrong breakfast station, and wanted an omelet. When he was pointed to the correct location to order and omelet, they got a plate thrown at them.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Hi Stateroom_Sailor,

We've sailed on many Celebrity 14 night itineraries dating back to Constellation, and in recent years - on Eclipse. I'm happy to report that we've never experienced anything overly negative from our fellow passengers - and absolutely nothing like what you've described on your Carnival Pride sailing.

I'd book the Celebrity 14 night sailing in a heartbeat. In fact, we have several booked in 2017 and 2018.

Hope this helps !

Absolutely does! Our next Celebrity booking, we want to repo to Japan. So many other amazing itineraries, it will be nice to sail without people turning south halfway through.

I would think throwing a plate at someone would be reason enough to be removed from the ship. We have never seen anything like that on our cruises, but yes unfortunately some of the rest of it is an inevitable part of being around people.

I had not thought a longer cruise would bring out bad behaviour in people. Been on two 15 day cruises, and I did not notice a difference between the two weeks.

We only started cruising a couple years ago, and I have actually surprised at how pleasant most people are. I actually expected to see a lot more misbehaviour from overly entitled people. Only been on Princess, Celebrity and Oceania, so I have not experienced Carnival.