Missed Embarkation? What Now?

eyelovcrusin

So sorry for your situation, and sorry for those who tried to admonish you for not having insurance,etc. Booking through a TA could actually be a disadvantage in this case anyway! This is not the time to learn lessons but it does teach us that we should always get (at least) trip interruption insurance, have full passports and use a good credit card that has some extra coverage to pay!

My best wishes to your step-daughter. Her health is the most important thing here. Everything else is just 'stuff'!

I don't know what X will do, but I hope you do get to have something of a vacation, even if you have to bend a credit card a little further!

Sorry, but it will turn into a deal about insurance!! It can be the factor whether you get reimbursed or have a total loss. Sorry, but it's a fact of life. I hope the tests come back that you can go.

It only turns into a deal about insurance when others such as yourself decide to make it about that even though the OP has indicated they don't want it to be about that.

I hope there is a good outcome for the OP on the medical front, and at the same time I'm willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt that they were fully capable of making an informed decision about purchasing insurance based on their evaluation of the pros & cons as they saw them at the time.

If I understand correctly, your step-daughter isn't planning to sail with you. If correct, my almost comment isn't needed. If she was going to be with you, you may need a "fit to travel" certification if you are delayed. We had a minor - very minor as it happened - medical emergency in Spain and were disembarked, and then were able to reboard the ship in the same port but had to have the "fit to travel" certificate. Luckily the translator/medical guide hired by Celebrity to accompany us had pointed this out to me so when we boarded at 11:00 pm all was well.

If your step-daughter isn't well, will you feel OK leaving your wife to manage? I'd be OK if my husband did, but you know your wife. I'd rather he were out there having fun than worrying with me. I think.

Beth

It has been a number of years (pre-cell phones) but we missed embarkation in England for a Baltic cruise because of weather issues affecting the flight from the USA. We notified Celebrity immediately but even though we had booked air through the cruise-line they offered no help in rebooking whatsoever as Celebrity claimed it was the airline/weather's fault. Fortunately, a real sweetheart of a ticket agent at the airline was able to rebook us the following day, but now we had to catch up with the ship in Oslo. We notified Celebrity of our new arrival times and they promised their port agent in Oslo would meet us. Hah! Finally a woman at the information desk tracked him down. He eventually came and got us but claimed Celebrity never told him anything about our arrival. We were dropped off at a hotel to await the ship's arrival the next morning. Fortunately, we ran into another couple there in the same situation and the 4 of us ended up hiring a cab to the port. However, because none of us had a ship card, we weren't allowed anywhere near the ship. Finally we told security that unless someone came to rectify the situation, there would be a big riot on the pier. They relayed this information and a man from guest services finally got us onboard. You can see after all this time, I am still a bit miffed at Celebrity's shabby treatment. (Incidentally, we had Elite status at the time).

That's a terrific answer and advice

I agree with those who say to contact Celebrity immediately and find out the current procedure to obtain permission for the downline embarkation.

In some circumstances it is permitted, and in others it is not.

So it is much better to get approval in advance rather than just flying down there and risk being turned away.

A few years ago, we were told to contact the emergency travel team

emergencyteam@celebritycruises.com

and send them the details:

Downline Embarkation Request

Reservation ID: XXXXXXX

Ship: Celebrity XXXXX

Sailing Date: XX-XX-XXXX

Stateroom XXXX

Downline Embarkation Port: XXXXXXXXX

Embarkation Date: XX-XX-XXXX

But the procedure may have changed since then.

As you are so short on time, I would suggest starting by immediately calling the Redeployment Desk at 888-281-9343

and they should be able to direct you from there if there has been any change in procedure.

Hope everything works out well for you.

Good luck!