Handicapped cabins

Mattnvick

We are looking to Divina again (loved the first one) for a November cruise this time with our eldest son and his gf. Not much left but there are quite a few handicapped cabins. Do they ever offer them up if they aren't sold, to non handicapped cruisers. Please don't leap all over me for asking this I'm just trying to get information. Also looking at an aft balcony on deck 12 there are some showing available. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Edited by Mattnvick
Didn't want to be thought to be politically incorrect

We are looking to Divina again (loved the first one) for a November cruise this time with our eldest son and his gf. Not much left �� but there are quite a few handicapped cabins. Do they ever offer them up if they aren't sold, to non handicapped cruisers. Please don't leap all over me for asking this I'm just trying to get information. Also looking at an aft balcony on deck 12 there are some showing available. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

yes they do, but if they get a late enquiry from a person who actually needs one you may be bumped to one of the remaining cabins which are likely to be the least desirable ones.

The aft balcony on a deck 12 is a bit bigger than a standard balcony but nowhere near as big as the aft balconies on deck 10 and 11

deck 12 aft balcony

Deck12_aft.jpg

standard balcony

ed45efd6-9a3b-4af5-8bb5-0355407dea4b.jpg

hope this helps

Pete

yes they do, but if they get a late enquiry from a person who actually needs one you may be bumped to one of the remaining cabins which are likely to be the least desirable ones.

This just happened to me on a cruise I had booked for May. They assigned me a handicapped cabin when I booked because that was all that was available. A week later they moved me to a cabin I never would have chosen, so I ended up cancelling the cruise.

We are looking to Divina again (loved the first one) for a November cruise this time with our eldest son and his gf. Not much left �� but there are quite a few handicapped cabins. Do they ever offer them up if they aren't sold, to non handicapped cruisers. Please don't leap all over me for asking this I'm just trying to get information. Also looking at an aft balcony on deck 12 there are some showing available. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

On reading some policies on other cruise lines I'm wondering if MSC make them available but you would be asked to provide some kind of proof of disability or at least sign a disclaimer that if needed by a handicapped person the able bodied would be moved?? I haven't found anything on their web site though so I think it's better to go with an aft and not worry that someone who may need that room could be denied. Happy sailing everyone.

My DD is handicapped, so I called MSC in order to book an adapted cabin.They told me the adapted cabins were sold out in the dates I asked for. They told me as well that sometimes those cabins were booked by people without any disabilities, only because they are bigger (not the OP situation). I have filled in a form about the disability of my daughter, as well as all the people with any disability must do. Then they assess if we deserve an adapted cabin more than the original bookers, and they can be moved…

My DD is handicapped, so I called MSC in order to book an adapted cabin.They told me the adapted cabins were sold out in the dates I asked for. They told me as well that sometimes those cabins were booked by people without any disabilities, only because they are bigger (not the OP situation). I have filled in a form about the disability of my daughter, as well as all the people with any disability must do. Then they assess if we deserve an adapted cabin more than the original bookers, and they can be moved…

I really hope they give you a cabin and bump someone who has booked merely on the size, but that can be difficult to prove if the bumped guests don't know the system and how it works. they may actually be genuine special needs and just 1st time cruisers who don't know about the forms.

I do find it intriguing how other cultures find the term 'handicapped' acceptable. As a disabled person I think it is quite insulting to hark back to times when one might have been 'handy' with ones cap in order to beg for money

No insult intended. That is how the cruise line designates the cabin. On the deck plans they are clearly marked with an H. I have a sister who requires the use of a scooter and needs to book this type of cabin. People with disabilities clearly require the extra space for turning a wheelchair or scooter. I would hope people don't book them just because they are larger square footage wise.

No insult intended. That is how the cruise line designates the cabin. On the deck plans they are clearly marked with an H. I have a sister who requires the use of a scooter and needs to book this type of cabin. People with disabilities clearly require the extra space for turning a wheelchair or scooter. I would hope people don't book them just because they are larger square footage wise.

I completely understand there's no insult intended there Rosie, and certainly none was taken from you. My comment was more a general observation how other countries in the world might refer to disability in a way that other cultures aren't too fond. Hey even here in the UK as recently as the 70s if not later we had the 'Spastic Society' to refer to people with MS. I guess it's a translation thing

I do find it intriguing how other cultures find the term 'handicapped' acceptable. As a disabled person I think it is quite insulting to hark back to times when one might have been 'handy' with ones cap in order to beg for money

I'm not English speaker and my level is quite basic. I don't get the difference, and I myself have written that my DD is handicapped, mirroring the title of the post.

In Spain we too have had some terms related to disabilitys that today sound quite offensive, and hardly anyone uses them

I think it may be a translation thing, too...

Edited by ANNA40

I really hope they give you a cabin and bump someone who has booked merely on the size, but that can be difficult to prove if the bumped guests don't know the system and how it works. they may actually be genuine special needs and just 1st time cruisers who don't know about the forms.

I expect MSC request them that form, too, and not bump nobody without asking first!

If they show available book it.

We are booked on a cruise in April with another couple. The husband has CP and will be bringing his scooter and a walker (which one he uses depends on the distance and how he feels each day).

He is booked in an accessible cabin and he was commenting to us about the large amount paperwork that MSC sent to him after booking to document his physical condition and size of his scooter.

So yes, MSC does require documentation after booking.