Are there HDMI outlets on the back of the TVs

Jacqueline

No. We were on in December. Even if you could access the ports, which you might be able to do depending on your cabin and where the television is mounted, the remote is just a basic one without access to the TV's advanced menus.

The TV on my Eurodam Inside Cabin back in September had a USB port that I was able to access to view photos from my SD Card, using the remote control provided. But major disclaimer: My card was flagged as unreadable when I tried accessing it on my home computer after my cruise. I was still able to retrieve my photos, but that required using third-party software.

Even if you could access the ports, ... the remote is just a basic one without access to the TV's advanced menus.
On another thread someone suggested bringing your own universal remote and instructions on how to match it to the ship's TV, in order to change input ports. :evilsmile: I wouldn't try it myself, for fear of doing something I couldn't undo later! :eek:

Oh my gosh!!!

What brand tv is it?

There is no guarantee that the TV in any given cabin is the same as others, even on the same ship. Although HAL might replace all sets in a drydock or other upgrade, it is likely that because of individual problems a set might be replaced with whatever is available.

The TV in my cabin on the Koningsdam did not have a brand that I could locate. It did have a usb and a hdmi port but in a location that would be difficult to use. The remote didn't include any function to use those ports.

I'm pretty sure they don't give you a remote that can access the different source ports because they don't want you to get it off the TV port and not be able to figure out how to get it back. And having watched my 80 year old Mom with various remotes I can understand why. LOL!

There is no guarantee that the TV in any given cabin is the same as others, even on the same ship.
Can't you access your account through the television? If so I couldn't imagine mixing brands within the same ship. Whatever special software is running to allow the television to interact with your account would have to be implemented separately for each brand, wouldn't it?

Can't you access your account through the television? If so I couldn't imagine mixing brands within the same ship. Whatever special software is running to allow the television to interact with your account would have to be implemented separately for each brand, wouldn't it?

Many (Most) smart TVs are based on android, so if the account access is by way of an APP any android based TV would most likely work. The other way to access the account would be via a web page, just like the laptops and tablets do, so it would only require a browser be installed on the TV, also common to smart TVs

No. The software runs on the network. The TV is just the monitor. As long as the servers output standard video (and they all do) the television brand does not matter.

Think about a home cable box. The TV doesn't matter as long as it accepts the box's output resolution and refresh rate.

The other option that we have used successfully in the past (albeit in hotel rooms where the remotes also often lack the input button) is to unplug the HDMI cable that is already there and then just plug our HDMI cable into that port thus using the input the TV is set to. Then when we are done, unplug our cable and replug the hotels cable.

The new TV's on the ships that have been through a recent dry-dock, are mounted extremely close to the wall, and you would have a hell of a time trying to get a USB or HDMI cable plugged into it without partially removing the TV from the wall. And yes, the remotes have no capability to change input sources, even if there was external inputs available. If you really want to try this, bring a long cable, a universal remote, and some tools. Then hope that your room steward doesn't notice the strange cable hanging down from the back of the TV.

The other option that we have used successfully in the past (albeit in hotel rooms where the remotes also often lack the input button) is to unplug the HDMI cable that is already there and then just plug our HDMI cable into that port thus using the input the TV is set to. Then when we are done, unplug our cable and replug the hotels cable.

Unfortunately the new TVs on the Koningsdam, and I suppose other ships post dry dock, are not connected via a HDMI cable, they use a network cable to receive data streams rather than video signals

Unfortunately the new TVs on the Koningsdam, and I suppose other ships post dry dock, are not connected via a HDMI cable, they use a network cable to receive data streams rather than video signals

That's the case with the Eurodam. I'm reasonably sure that the streams run at DVD (480p) or HD (720p) over LAN.

If you have a tablet, you're better off with native video.

But what is your purpose in plugging it in - to charge it or to use the iPad?

That is my exact question. Jacqueline, What do you plan to do with the iPad and the TV. Display video from the iPad to the TV or try to charge it? If you have the Apple Lightning Digital AV adaptor then that will give the the ability to watch it, if the TV has an HDMI input. If you are attempting to charge it via HDMI then that will not work as you will need an USB source. iPad need a higher power output from the USB source for effective charging. Yes a lower output will work, but will take a magnitude longer and will not charge if you are actively using the iPad.

Well I can't speak for the other poster but what I'd like to do is I'd like to put my photographs up on the television so I can see how well I'm using my new camera.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

If all you are looking to do is charge the iPad, then it might be very easy. I was just recently on the Oosterdam, post dry-dock, and there were USB charging jacks at the desk and near the light switches behind your bed. (in a veranda cabin). You would need a standard USB to mini cable to use it, but they were active.

And the new TV's are fed by an ethernet-type cable, so it is interactive. If you are watching a movie and you have to head to dinner, you just hit STOP. When you return to the movie, the TV will ask you if you want to resume where you left off or start at the beginning.

I will be sailing again on the Eurodam this Saturday and will note down how I managed to view my SD card photos on the TV. Probably will back up the card before doing so. :D Come to think of it the previous time was a 64 GB card and those have a reputation to not be as reliable.

I'm in Florida now, and boarding on Saturday. I have some movies on my iPad that I'd like to see on the TV.

Last summer, my daughter and I did this on the QM2 at night as we are not into shows, etc. we also had 16 days onboard, with just two ports, so lots of time! Used the HDMI, it was impossible to access in our suite, but on the second leg of our trip, we had a TV that was easier to access (in the balcony stateroom). So I can definitely see how the room configuration can alter the ability to access the back of the TV.

So, is there a way to get my movies on the tv without an HDMI?

Thanks!

I will be on the K'dam soon and will most my findings. Somewhat off topic however, has anyone heard about the mini projectors!!! Like this one:

RIF6 CUBE Pico Projector. This will solve the

problem. Just need a white wall.

I'm in Florida now, and boarding on Saturday. I have some movies on my iPad that I'd like to see on the TV.

Last summer, my daughter and I did this on the QM2 at night as we are not into shows, etc. we also had 16 days onboard, with just two ports, so lots of time! Used the HDMI, it was impossible to access in our suite, but on the second leg of our trip, we had a TV that was easier to access (in the balcony stateroom). So I can definitely see how the room configuration can alter the ability to access the back of the TV.

So, is there a way to get my movies on the tv without an HDMI?

Thanks!

Can't help you with the technical aspects. However, you will have access to many, many, many movies available to you in your cabin via DVD or the TV, so you shouldn't be too disappointed if you can't use your iPad.

I am certain that minimizing labor was a primary concern when HAL selected/designed the TV service. One can imagine how much extra work there would be if they had to reset the TV configuration in the cabins on embarkation day, plus ongoing TV support during the cruise.

igraf