Bringing niece with us, proper documentation???

Just a quick question for those of you who have ever brought a minor on board who was not your own child. We are bringing our niece with us on our next cruise (in 37 days). We already talked to Royal Caribbean yesterday and we were told that we will need her birth certificate, medical power of attorney and a notarized letter from her mom stating that we are allowed to take her with us out of the country. She has residential custody of her daughter. Do any of you know if I will also need to get a notarized statement from her dad as well? I want to make sure that we have all our ducks in a row so we don't get there only to find out that we are missing something and can't get her on the ship.

Thanks!

We are taking our daughter's friend with us this weekend on Freedom. We got a notarized document from both the mother and the father. RCCL said we only needed one, but they don't make those decisions. It is US Customs/Border Patrol, so we got one from each parent just to be on the safe side. From what I've read, we may not be asked for the documents at all, but I don't want to be stuck without an option if they do check. If you can get both, then do it.

When my parents took my children out of country we needed all those things signed by both mom and dad. Letter stating permission to take them, including where and from when to when. Signed by both of us and notarized. The letter also included permission for medical treatment.

While it is true you may not get asked for it......we were asked to present it at check in and for Customs on both Royal Caribbean and Disney.

We had a notarized letter for our granddaughter from both parents as well as her passport.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

I've been dealing with this lately as well. RCs answer is only one parent required but like most have stated already it's best to get both. I won't have this option at all in my situation. I have heard that it's customs that cares the most about this and that's only on the return. I'm going to have to cross my fingers and pray that only one signature is good enough as that is all I'm going to be able to obtain. Happy cruising.

I've been dealing with this lately as well. RCs answer is only one parent required but like most have stated already it's best to get both. I won't have this option at all in my situation. I have heard that it's customs that cares the most about this and that's only on the return. I'm going to have to cross my fingers and pray that only one signature is good enough as that is all I'm going to be able to obtain. Happy cruising.

You may be right if the notarized document of just one parent is only presented to RCI, and not submitted, on embarkation. No copies to be scrutinized by CBP, if they do, while the minor is cruising. I guess CBP is strict on minors in going out of the country, than coming in from US port, But then again, just also my wishful thinking.