Need to pick a cruise - need opinions

joyceluvsjames

Hubby and I have been on 3 cruises together, all with our son in tow. We'd like to take a cruise just the two of us in the late winter/early spring of next year. We've gone Royal Caribbean for the three family cruises, but I have cruised Carnival and Princess prior to meeting my husband, Carnival when I was young and all me and my girlfriend did was look for guys to have fun with. The Princess cruises were family cruises with my mother, sister and nephew. My Carnival cruise was in 1997 and the Princess cruises were 1999 and 2000.

I am 52 and hubby is 59 and we aren't big drinkers. We don't really want to be around mostly young people in their 20s and 30s nor do we want to book a cruise that is predominately seniors in their 70s and above. We enjoy the Caribbean and will probably stick with those itineraries.

Any suggestions to where we should start looking?

Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks!

Still think of Carnival which has become more of a family cruise with passengers of ALL ages! Their ships are no longer 'party' ships! Their new ships, the Breeze and the Vista are really something I would seriously consider either of those. (Haven't been on those and the Sunshine is our favorite ship now- we are Diamonds on Carnival., Platinum on Princess.)

I would also think of Princess. However on only one of our Princess cruises I have never seen so many couples who knew how to and did the Waltz! Every night in the Atrium they had a violin, piano and cello playing for the old people. But, maybe it was a senior's charter!

But either than this one cruise, Princess has been fun.

When you're down to a few ships, check their reviews but remember there are always people who don't like anything!

Hubby and I have been on 3 cruises together, all with our son in tow. We'd like to take a cruise just the two of us in the late winter/early spring of next year. We've gone Royal Caribbean for the three family cruises, but I have cruised Carnival and Princess prior to meeting my husband, Carnival when I was young and all me and my girlfriend did was look for guys to have fun with. The Princess cruises were family cruises with my mother, sister and nephew. My Carnival cruise was in 1997 and the Princess cruises were 1999 and 2000.

I am 52 and hubby is 59 and we aren't big drinkers. We don't really want to be around mostly young people in their 20s and 30s nor do we want to book a cruise that is predominately seniors in their 70s and above. We enjoy the Caribbean and will probably stick with those itineraries.

Any suggestions to where we should start looking?

Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks!

If service, food and no nickel/diming is important to you, consider Oceania. Small ships (700 or 1100 passengers) with mostly inclusive pricing (e.g., airfare). Peruse the Oceania thread on CC.

The Oceania demographic is generally well mannered, cosmopolitan folks. Ages are mostly 50s+, though kids will be seen on summer Alaska and Med cruises. And, when cruises are significantly longer, you'll see more >70s passengers.

Also IMO, don't limit yourself to the Caribbean - just so boring after a couple of cruises, unless you do start doing yacht charters that take you away from the mass market hordes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Take a look at Celebrity.

Or even Azamara. They have 2 small ships and are in the same cruise family as RCCL and Celebrity. Almost every thing is included, tips and wine, but not Speciality restaurants.

Flatbush flyer,

What is the cost difference between Oceana and say, Carnival, Princess, RCCL, etc.?????????????

Is it really worth this difference if you have a budget????

Depends on what you are looking for in a cruise

You could compare prices with OCEANIA & the main stream lines

Oceania has smaller ships less passenger & less activities no water slides or rock climbing walls etc..

more calm or boring for some ;)

Food is subjective but they do have quality ingredients

No formal nights, no charge for specialty dining, all non alcoholic drinks included

when checking prices some include the airfare so be sure to compare apples to apples

more mature passengers rarely any children exception is the Alaska cruise where they have a program for them

If you are looking for a $699 cruise Oceania is not for you

Choose what works best for YOU

Flatbush flyer,

What is the cost difference between Oceana and say, Carnival, Princess, RCCL, etc.?????????????

Is it really worth this difference if you have a budget????

O's published cabin prices are higher than those you mentioned. But, the O regular price includes airfare (or air credit) and many items you'd pay for elsewhere (e.g., internet) If you're flying internationally, that airfare alone could easily mean a $1-2k value per person.

O once had an advertising campaign that showed a side-by-side comparison with HAL and other upper end mass market lines. When the cost of specialty restaurants, beverages, airfare, internet, etc were compared as a "net daily rate," O was actually less expensive.

Plus there's a real difference in food and service quality. Best way to see the difference is to book a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums