What is the difference between Sold Out and Not Available?

happygolucky62

I have a "strong" bid in for GV. I purposely bid high because it would be perfect for the 8 of us currently in 2 OS cabins. I know I would keep the 2nd cabin, but it is an OS so the perks are the same.

The GV just came up as SOLD OUT. Does that mean both have been purchased, or one has been purchased and the other is being held for the bidding process?

I know the difference between sold out and not available in looking in rooms we are interested in is often that we exceed the room occupancy in the case of the latter. i.e. NCL won't let you book a 3 person Forward Facing Penthouse if you have four people. At least I don't think they will. You'd need to get the 4 person room of that sort.

That said, some are reporting sold out can also mean NCL pulled the room closer to sailing to reserve for upbids. Some say that's ridiculous. Why wouldn't they want to sell at full price but honestly, how many people are booking at full price close to the cruise? IMHO it would be a smart business move by NCL if they know they have more than enough bids.

"Not Available" can also mean that the areas with available rooms have reached capacity. While most rooms can accommodate more than two passengers, there are only a certain number of people allowed on each floor for safety reasons.

So if you add up paying full price for the two OS with four people plus the strong bid for the GV how close are you to just paying for the GV in the first place? I know the GV have been ridiculously priced, but are you really saving that much? A quick look at future Dawn sailings show the two OS at $14,800 ($7,400 each) and GV at $16,600 leaving a bid over $900pp as paying over list price. I have never seen $900pp as a strong bid for the GV.

I can't tell you the difference. I can say from experience that someone doing a mock booking will take a room out of selecting it for a period of time and then it will appear again. Not sure if this is the case here though.

dexddd I think you are right because now one is available again.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Especially for suites and the GV. Someone played that game on our Gem sailing recently. They kept locking it up for about two weeks prior to trip.