Which suite would you choose?

CMDE

I have been on 4 different cruise lines (Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Holland America). I am a bargain hunter and almost always book an inside guarantee but have been in a verandah suite on Holland America, and a Princess mini suite.

If you were going to throw caution to the winds and for one luxurious trip book a real suite, which line would you choose? And what kind of suite?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would make certain that the suite experience was considerably different than the regular cabin experience. For example, butler service is not offered on RCCL but SHOULD be a part of the suite experience. I would choose a ship that had a private dining room for suite guests. I would choose a suite that had a bathroom more similar to what I am used to at home - spa tub, separate shower, two sinks, toilet room. I would check what the suite amenities are on the line I was considering. Some suites have actual separate rooms (not a bedroom curtained off from the living room. Some suites have TVs in the bedroom, living room and bathroom. Some only offer 1 TV. Some suites have huge balconies, others do not. Some send flowers, some do not. Some offer a dvd player, some do not. Some offer sparkling wine, others do not. Some suites include all alcohol, others do not. Some suites have private hot tubs, others do not.

Having sailed on RCCL in a suite, I can state for certain that they don't have many of the features I prefer in a suite experience - they are playing catch up with NCL and others. It also seems that HAL's suites and Princess' suites are behind in offering amenities. No question that Carnival lacks almost all suite amenities. So there is Celebrity and NCL in The Haven, there is Cunard, and then you move up to luxury lines such as Regent, Crystal, Silversea and Viking.

OP said "throw caution to the wind," which sounds like "if price is not an issue." If that's the case, why even bother with the mass market lines mentioned above? After all, when you step out of their suites (or even the "suite only" area) you're still on a mass market line with the thundering horde of other cruisers mired in mediocrity.

OP: Look at the luxury lines - or, at least, the premiums.

Also, interestingly, if OP looks at what things they know they'll want (e.g., airfare, booze, excursions, specialty restaurants, OBC) and then decides $$$ is an important consideration, opting for premium/luxury lines still might mean real value when you look at the "net daily rate" for mass market when you add up all their nickel/diming (and still have to deal with their mediocre food and service).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums