Georgia enhanced drivers license for boarding?

I was asked yesterday by a family member about documents needed for cruise (closed loop caribbean from the USA).........That is leaving 2 days later!!!!! No passport. Photo copy of a birth certificate only. I told her it was to late and that she was probably out of luck and to call RCI for verification.

Well she just let me know that she found a certified copy of the birth certificate. She can use that and the drivers license. So she dodged a bullet with that one. This was actually concerning her college aged son.

This problem got me thinking if the Georgia enhanced drivers license would have been good enough by itself. The GDOT website stated it was good for closed loop cruises in the caribbean. I could not find any information on RCI web site concerning the issue.

We always have passports. Just made me think. Anyone have any first had experience?

It's not a RCCL requirement but a US Immigration requirement to have an actual Birth Certificate with raised seal and a government issued ID for a closed loop cruise. The requirements are the same no matter what cruise line you take:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

I will be real honest with you. I would NEVER cruise without a passport because if something happens during the cruise where you need to return home (death in the family, home destroyed by natural disaster, injury to the cruiser or someone in their party where they need to get to a US hospital for surgery or other medical attention, etc.) then without a passport you are SOL until you can obtain one and not all islands in the Caribbean have US consulates, so that adds another level of complexity to the situation. Your family member could obtain a passport within 24 hours from a passport expeditor such as this one:

https://www.rushmypassport.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwtbPGBRDhoLaqn6HknWsSJABR-o5s8AhQtgJLGab8RZ64BFLq0WVdeOzZtkTSj-FMz6AKmxoCWYLw_wcB

At any rate, if she now has the proper documents required by the US immigration service for a closed loop cruise, she should be able to board the ship, but in future, it would be in her and her family's best interest for them to all obtain passports.

An Enhanced DL is accepted as proof of US citizenship for closed loop cruises.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

• U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.

My youngest Son has been on 10 or so cruises, he has the EDL. We were not sure so the first Cruise we brought the EDL and raised seal Birth Certificate. Customs told us that the EDL was fine on its own, no n eed for Birth Certificate.

That being said, not everyone who sees the EDL knows what it is. Supervisors have needed to called at some Embarkations, but not a problem at customs since they are familar with it.

It's not a RCCL requirement but a US Immigration requirement to have an actual Birth Certificate with raised seal and a government issued ID for a closed loop cruise. The requirements are the same no matter what cruise line you take:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

That link says "proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) ".

Doesn't say certified bc. States issue non certified bcs, too.

And not all states have a raised seal for their certified documents. WA doesn't!

If they meant certified they would say it.

And plenty of people have boarded with copies, not an original certified bc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This problem got me thinking if the Georgia enhanced drivers license would have been good enough by itself. The GDOT website stated it was good for closed loop cruises in the caribbean. I could not find any information on RCI web site concerning the issue.

Georgia is not one of the states offering an EDL. (enhanced drivers license). So your question is moot.

Georgia is not one of the states offering an EDL. (enhanced drivers license). So your question is moot.

Exactly, right now only 5 states issue them and they are all on the northern border. People confuse licenses issued under the REAL ID act as being Enhanced and they are two different things.

Exactly, right now only 5 states issue them and they are all on the northern border. People confuse licenses issued under the REAL ID act as being Enhanced and they are two different things.

I stand corrected. I have now learned something today! Thanks for the replies.

I agree passports are the best. That is what we travel with every time.